aberdeen-music

what's the best thing you've cooked?

framheim

I'm also sure that their are plenty men who want the same as me.

i think this kind of thing has a lot to do with the way you've been raised. my dad works offshore and as soon as my mum was to be having my older brother, she gave up her job as a secretary and apart from part-time and voluntary stuff and going back to uni, she's never really gone back to it until this past year when little sis turned 17. because of this, dad put the food on the table but whenever i got in from school, mum was there, regardless of what day it was. all my friends had keys for their houses so they could let theirselves in when they got home, or went to childminders, but our house has one key for the front door and one for the back. none of us have ever had our own because there was always someone there. i think that's what's made my relationship with my parents so good, the reliability and the solid foundations of family life.

because of that, i'd like to be able to offer my kids exactly the same. comfort financially and a solid home life. the problem is, of course, that the lady with whom i decide to settle down and have kids might have conflicting ideas. it's a tough one!!

/x

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It just outrages me that you have to train for ages to be a professional nanny' date=' take a fairly difficult test to drive a car but to start a family you just have to lie on your back for 5 minutes.

One day I want to be an excellent wife and mother so I'm training now so when the time comes I don't think "shit, i don't even know how to iron shirts or make a sunday roast".[/quote']

i'm the same. my favourite things that i cook are my spaghetti and meatballs, pork fillets stuffed with garlic and rosemary and steak and guiness pie, all done from scratch from the recipes in my head. i do good soups too.

Guest tv tanned

I enjoy cooking, but haven't had the time of late, usually my beloved does the meals, except on weekends when I take the helm.

My chilli also rocks, especially when I make it for my tastebuds only!!!

I do some mean ass chicken dishes... god bless gods meat. Chicken is so flexy I love it.... and garlic... mmm. Nothing beats a nice roast chicken... and so easy too! Shove half a lemon inside... peel the skin back, get some oils and herbs in there... skin back over... some Rosemary on top.... keep basting it and mmmm... juicy juicy chicken! Goes well with spiced potatoe wedges with melted mozzarella on top... and some brocolli witha nice tomato and garlic sauce. Mmmmm.

My other half whips up some mean ass pasta dishes. Delish!

i think this kind of thing has a lot to do with the way you've been raised.

i think that is a huge factor. growing up, my nana was always baking for her family, and my mum always worked part time, so she was home when we got home. i was raised with pretty much tradional values and i want to pass that on to my family.

i do good soups too.

Oooh! I haven't started on soups yet, which is silly because I love them. I really love broth like my gran made.

On the note of it being how you're raised, I agree on certain parts of what you said Spoonie. When I was young, my Mum made sure me and my sisters had home baking almost every day, she didn't work, my dad did really long shifts for Compaq but we always had dinner together and I think that's an important thing.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
On the note of it being how you're raised' date=' I agree on certain parts of what you said Spoonie. When I was young, my Mum made sure me and my sisters had home baking almost every day, she didn't work, my dad did really long shifts for Compaq but we always had dinner together and I think that's an important thing.[/quote']

I guess it is all to do with upbringing. I never ate at the table with my folks, and to this day I fucking hate the idea of group eating. The sight and sounds of other people eating is utterly revolting. My folks used to have dinner on their laps in front of the TV news, and I'd bugger off upstairs with my plate. This probably accounts for my aversion to eating in public.

I guess it is all to do with upbringing. I never ate at the table with my folks' date=' and to this day I fucking hate the idea of group eating. The sight and sounds of other people eating is utterly revolting. My folks used to have dinner on their laps in front of the TV news, and I'd bugger off upstairs with my plate. This probably accounts for my aversion to eating in public.[/quote']

My cousins used to be like that, then my aunt decided they were going to all eat at the table together every night after my cousins therapist (nonsense) said it would help her function better socially. It took WEEKS for them to have a polite nice dinner with no hassle from the three kids at the table. I guess what's instilled from you from birth is just what you think it right.

hmmm im not that much of a cook myself, but my speciality is chilli con carne. so yummy.

But when i was younger I once made wallace and gromit from clay. Was the best clay model ever. Then i put then in the oven to make them go hard, but they melted :( So yea, i guess you could say they were the best things I ever cooked

i made awesome mushroom risotto last night. sweated some onions in some olive oil in a huge pot, added sliced button, chestnut and shitake mushrooms and cooked until soft, stirred in 2 cups of rice and 2 pints of chicken stock, some basil and some salt and pepper and cooked on a low heat until the water had boiled off and the rice was soft. then stirred in a tablespoon of light creme fraiche. it made heaps and will probably feed me for about 3 days.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
I can clean pretty darn well. (typical virgo...)

Is the correct answer, along with a pathological detestation of unpunctuality. Just get there on the agreed time, you ignorant, inconsiderate sods.

i didn't say 'sweat mushrooms' but sweating onions is where you get them so they're that semi-opaque look but still don't have any colour to them and the juices are coming off them nicely. then you add the mushrooms.

Methinks I need to get some more sleep before Moshulu tonight - I can't even read my own quotes :p

Cheers Mel. Quite fancy attempting that recipe.