aberdeen-music

what's the best thing you've cooked?

framheim

inspired by the meal i just made myself i want to know what the best thing you guys have ever cooked is?

i really fancied prawns tonight so i fried some up with some mushrooms in a load of olive oil and garlic. put a generous helping of black pepper in, a sprinkling of cumin and some mild chilli powder for flavour. i also chucked in a sprinkling of marjoram and oregano. served it up on some nice basmati rice. it was bloody lovely!

i like making stuff up as i go along, sometimes it works(like tonight) and sometimes it doesn't(like most other times).

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favourite thing to cook is fresh salmon with a lemon and rosemary dressing topped with lemon slices served with new potatoes and green beans.

I'm also very good at roast dinners, right down to cooking the chicken perfectly (no pre-cooked nonsense for moi) and making the stuffing myself.

I'm in training to be a good wife by learning how to bake things well.

Guest Jake Wifebeater

I'm not the greatest cook in the world, but I can heat things up in the oven with the best of them. If I do cook, it's usually pasta. My best one so far:

2 chicken breast fillets

Mushrooms

2 jars Dolmio mushroom pasta bake sauce

Pasta shells

Mixed herbs

Grated cheese, preferably Seriously Strong

First off, cut the chicken into wee chunks and fry it. Boil the pasta, drain it, chuck in the chicken, mushrooms and sauce, stir it well, add some mixed herbs and pop it into the oven for a while. Add some grated cheese as well if you're feeling especially daring. I usually use enough pasta for four, i.e. four meals for me. It turns out really well.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
nothing wrong with wanting to be a good wife!

Oh, absolutely, I have a cracking missus myself, I just thought it was funny the way she'd worded it, reminded me of the Stepford Wives a bit.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
ah i see. nice to hear of a happy marrige!

i want to be a good wife' date=' but not quite in the stepford leaque...scary...[/quote']

There's more to it than cooking. As the old saying goes, a man is like a carpet, if you've laid him properly the first time, you can walk all over him for the rest of your life!

It just outrages me that you have to train for ages to be a professional nanny, take a fairly difficult test to drive a car but to start a family you just have to lie on your back for 5 minutes.

One day I want to be an excellent wife and mother so I'm training now so when the time comes I don't think "shit, i don't even know how to iron shirts or make a sunday roast".

Guest Jake Wifebeater
One day I want to be an excellent wife and mother so I'm training now so when the time comes I don't think "shit' date=' i don't even know how to iron shirts or make a sunday roast".[/quote']

But surely, in this day and age, a guy should be able to do all that for himself anyway? I'm pretty much self-sufficient and my partner isn't someone I expect to slave away for me, she's got her own life. I'd be embarrassed if I had to rely on someone doing things "for" me.

"I just wanna see the housewives revolution, where he has to get his fucking dinner himself"

Perhaps I'm a little old fashioned, I really like the idea of being a housewife, looking after children, feeding them well and making sure my husband is happy. In turn, that would make me happy. Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to be anything like Bree from Desperate Housewives, and not for a good number of years yet, but that's what I'd like one day, so I'm going to start training now.

There's more to it than cooking. As the old saying goes' date=' a man is like a carpet, if you've laid him properly the first time, you can walk all over him for the rest of your life![/quote']

As long as my wife is tidy then Im sorted

I love cooking but rarely have then time.

I can cook some pretty cool chinese meals and Indian meals

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Perhaps I'm a little old fashioned' date=' I really like the idea of being a housewife, looking after children, feeding them well and making sure my husband is happy. In turn, that would make me happy. Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to be anything like Bree from Desperate Housewives, and not for a good number of years yet, but that's what I'd like one day, so I'm going to start training now.[/quote']

Well, it's nice that you know what will make you happy. I don't know what the general consensus is among guys, maybe I'm just in a minority. For the record, my partner is a terrific woman and a great mum. She's a damn good cook too, her chilli is the absolute best, but I wouldn't think any less of her if she couldn't cook for shit. I'm probably more house-wifey than she is, I'm the tidy one who usually does the dishes!

I reckon you are old-fashioned, but I wouldn't necessarily say that's a bad thing. Good for you.

I reckon you are old-fashioned' date=' but I wouldn't necessarily say that's a bad thing. Good for you.[/quote']

Why thank you. Perhaps I'll feel different years from now but right now I'm almost certain it's the way I want to spend my life.

Perhap, now that it's 2005 and whatnot, men feel different about having a career and a wife and kids at home, but I'm also sure that their are plenty men who want the same as me.

I tend to have an idea of what I want to eat then just throw things into a pan until it looks like what i had in mind and it mostly works ok. I think as long as you know how to cook things by themselves then you can make something fairly edible. The only problem is that it gets quite expensive make mistakes.

Best thing I've cooked probably was something involving chicken wings, tomato-y sauce with new potatoes, all cooked slowly together, buggered if I can remember exactly what I put in it though.