aberdeen-music

Audioslave

Mouse

Audioslave was excellent, but even speaking as a rage fan, the band seemed better playing the Soundgarden songs, than the rage ones. Cornell did not seem comfortable doing the vocals for the rage songs, even though the music was spot on.

The soundgarden songs on the other hand sounded great. My only other critique of the evening was that there did not seem to be a great deal of songs from the new album. Other than that, it was superb.

Still a bit disappointed that we missed ..And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead really but it was more than made up for by Audioslave. Amazing live band. The music as tight as ever and Cornell's vocals were just out of this world. The seeming lack of effort he puts in is amazing considering the output. 'Black Hole Sun' was absolutely outstanding.

I'd agree on Cornell not being that comfortable with the Rage tracks and as a result his vocals seemed to be a lot lower in the mix for said songs. He was more than drowned out by the crowd anyways so that wasn't as much of an issue as it could've been.

All in all well worth the rolfaroos! :cheers:

I'm pretty appalled they played Rage and Soundgarden songs. Indicative of the lack of good material they have.

What a load of pish lad. The fans have been begging for it for ages. I think it's good that they're doing it rather than being stubborn and refusing to give in (although I could fully understand if they wanted to concentrate on their new band rather than songs they wrote with people no longer musically involved with them). They only played one Temple Of The Dog song' date=' two Soungarden songs and 2 and a bit Rage songs so it's not like they're tracks needed to flesh out the set.

I think it just served to show how good their own songs are as well. If you play a set with 'Sleep Now In The Fire' and a solo Cornell performance of 'Black Hole Sun' and your own material more than keeps up with that quality live then you must be doing [i']something right...

Have you listened to the Audioslave albums?

What a load of pish lad. The fans have been begging for it for ages. I think it's good that they're doing it rather than being stubborn and refusing to give in (although I could fully understand if they wanted to concentrate on their new band rather than songs they wrote with people no longer musically involved with them). They only played one Temple Of The Dog song' date=' two Soungarden songs and 2 and a bit Rage songs so it's not like they're tracks needed to flesh out the set.

I think it just served to show how good their own songs are as well. If you play a set with 'Sleep Now In The Fire' and a solo Cornell performance of 'Black Hole Sun' and your own material more than keeps up with that quality live then you must be doing [i']something right...

Have you listened to the Audioslave albums?

I heard the debut millions of times at a friends house because it's the only cd they play and i've heard a number of tracks off the second album and they both suck in my opinion. I'm not saying they need the songs to "flesh out the set", it's not they don't have enough good songs. They are just replacing their weakest songs with Rage and Soundgarden songs cos they know nobody is interested in their pishy album fillers and would much rather hear Rage and Soundgarden songs. They may be pleasing the crowd but as i said, it's proof of how mediocre their current material is. Just seems to lack any artistic merit for a band on their second album to have to rely on their previous bands' material.

I heard the debut millions of times at a friends house because it's the only cd they play and i've heard a number of tracks off the second album and they both suck in my opinion. I'm not saying they need the songs to "flesh out the set"' date=' it's not they don't have enough good songs. They are just replacing their weakest songs with Rage and Soundgarden songs cos they know nobody is interested in their pishy album fillers and would much rather hear Rage and Soundgarden songs. They may be pleasing the crowd but as i said, it's proof of how mediocre their current material is. Just seems to lack any artistic merit for a band on their second album to have to rely on their previous bands' material.[/quote']

But they don't rely on it. Rage and Soundgarden songs were not in the set until recently. If they relyed on them they would have been playing them on the first tour as well. It's like saying Morrisey is pish if he plays Smiths songs on his tour. It's just giving something back to the fans. I unfortunatly never got to see Rage, so I am grateful to at least hear the band play the songs.

But they don't rely on it. Rage and Soundgarden songs were not in the set until recently. If they relyed on them they would have been playing them on the first tour as well. It's like saying Morrisey is pish if he plays Smiths songs on his tour. It's just giving something back to the fans. I unfortunatly never got to see Rage' date=' so I am grateful to at least hear the band play the songs.[/quote']

That was the comparison I was thinking of as well. We saw them at Download 2003 on their first album and they didn't play any Rage/Soundgarden stuff. They're both right up there in my top all time bands so it figures that seeing as I didn't see either live it's the closest that I'll get at the moment and it utterly blew me away. :D

I still think it would have been an amazing gig without the 'covers'. Even the more average songs on the albums really come to life live which, with the band comprising the members that it does, isn't really surprising at all! I can't imagine that anyone would've been complaining at the gig had it all just been Audioslave songs :)

But they don't rely on it. Rage and Soundgarden songs were not in the set until recently. If they relyed on them they would have been playing them on the first tour as well. It's like saying Morrisey is pish if he plays Smiths songs on his tour. It's just giving something back to the fans. I unfortunatly never got to see Rage' date=' so I am grateful to at least hear the band play the songs.[/quote']

I agree - many fans wanted them to play Rage and Soundgarden songs, hence the excitement when they finally brought them into the set. Giving people the opportunity to hear these songs can only be a good thing.

That was the comparison I was thinking of as well. We saw them at Download 2003 on their first album and they didn't play any Rage/Soundgarden stuff. They're both right up there in my top all time bands so it figures that seeing as I didn't see either live it's the closest that I'll get at the moment and it utterly blew me away. :D

I still think it would have been an amazing gig without the 'covers'. Even the more average songs on the albums really come to life live which' date=' with the band comprising the members that it does, isn't really surprising at all! I can't imagine that anyone would've been complaining at the gig had it all just been Audioslave songs :)[/quote']

Don't think anyone would complain if they didn't play them cos nobody would really expect them to until they actually do it.

It's like saying Morrisey is pish if he plays Smiths songs on his tour

I don't think it is. I'm not saying Audioslave are shite for playing RATM and Soundgarden songs, I'm saying they are playing RATM and Soundgarden songs because they are shite. Whereas Morrissey could burp in the microphone and get a rapturous reception.

I'm saying they are playing RATM and Soundgarden songs because they are shite. .

WELL WHY ARE YOU WASTING YOUR TIME POSTING DISSES ON THIS FORUM ABOUT THEM IF YOU DON'T LIKE THEM? FIND SOMETHING CONSTRUCTIVE TO DO WITH YOUR TIME OTHER THAN BEING NEGATIVE FROM THE SATETY OF YOUR COMPUTER. Fair enough you don't like them , but Jesus, why waste yout time posting about them, then?

Audioslave were amazing.

I dreaded the Rage songs being covered. I dreaded the Soundgarden songs being covered. I can honestly say they were amazing. Spoonman was Soundgarden if you closed your eyes and Black Hole Sun was one of the best solo acoustic performances I've ever seen. That good. And the Rage songs were just an excuse for a big sing a long. Cornell hardly had to sing. Christ, the guys not even a "rapper" let alone Zack de La Rocha. He'll never be able to perform Killing In the Name and Sleep Now In the Fire. But they played them and they were ace.

You literally had to be there to appreciate it. I'm not being a dick, but until you see them playing those old songs in amongst the (brilliant) Audioslave stuff I'd reserve your judgement.

Brilliant band, brilliant gig.

WELL WHY ARE YOU WASTING YOUR TIME POSTING DISSES ON THIS FORUM ABOUT THEM IF YOU DON'T LIKE THEM? FIND SOMETHING CONSTRUCTIVE TO DO WITH YOUR TIME OTHER THAN BEING NEGATIVE FROM THE SAFETY OF YOUR COMPUTER. Fair enough you don't like them ' date=' but Jesus, why waste yout time posting about them, then?

Audioslave were amazing.

I dreaded the Rage songs being covered. I dreaded the Soundgarden songs being covered. I can honestly say they were amazing. Spoonman was Soundgarden if you closed your eyes and Black Hole Sun was one of the best solo acoustic performances I've ever seen. That good. And the Rage songs were just an excuse for a big sing a long. Cornell hardly had to sing. Christ, the guys not even a "rapper" let alone Zack de La Rocha. He'll never be able to perform Killing In the Name and Sleep Now In the Fire. But they played them and they were ace.

You literally had to be there to appreciate it. I'm not being a dick, but until you see them playing those old songs in amongst the (brilliant) Audioslave stuff I'd reserve your judgement.

Brilliant band, brilliant gig.[/quote']

Shall i come up and say it to your face then so you can deck me for not liking them?

P.S. I was kind enough to fix your typo, just in case you thought that's why i was putting it in bold. :cheers:

Shall i come up and say it to your face then so you can deck me for not liking them?

P.S. I was kind enough to fix your typo' date=' just in case you thought that's why i was putting it in bold. :cheers:[/quote']

Why would I deck you just for not liking a band I do?

Thanks for fixing the typo.

Cheers.