aberdeen-music

Exile Studios

Fast Caz

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i stopped relying on bands years ago. including my own. :)

last week, approximatley a band a night cancelled rehersal ON THE DAY for various reasons.... which is irratating when there's only one room.... but at least that's not as bad as the bands who just don't turn up. no phonecall, no messages. they just don't turn up.

i usually wait half an hour to 45 mins if you're late. usually. don't be late and we won't have a problem... :)

*waves hands in hair in a mystical motion*

Look beyond the city walls' date=' morons.[/quote']

It's often a case of finances that keeps bands within aberdeen though, as well as paying recording costs if you wish to spend time recording away from aberdeen you also have to consider acoomodation for the band and food and drink expenses which if theres 5 of you can be pretty high, whereas you can wander down to Exile etc to record pretty easily, dont get me wrong I agree bands should record away from Aberdeen, it's just not always that easy.

Cheers

Stuart

Mark's production skills seem to vary wildly...

example: Dedalus EP.... Quite good...

No disrespect to Deadloss but "are you ready to die for..." sounds panny as hell.

Mark's constant "edit as I record" methods do him no justice.

It's often a case of finances that keeps bands within aberdeen though' date=' as well as paying recording costs if you wish to spend time recording away from aberdeen you also have to consider acoomodation for the band and food and drink expenses which if theres 5 of you can be pretty high, whereas you can wander down to Exile etc to record pretty easily, dont get me wrong I agree bands should record away from Aberdeen, it's just not always that easy.

[/quote']

It is possible to do it on a budget - we're off to Glasgow at the weekend to record, and Radio Lucifer are hardly rollin' in it! Having load'sa mates in Glasgow to stay with helps.

It is possible to do it on a budget - we're off to Glasgow at the weekend to record' date=' and Radio Lucifer are hardly rollin' in it! Having load'sa mates in Glasgow to stay with helps.[/quote']

It is but its often difficult to get the right mix, and as you say having friends down their helps a lot.

Cheers

Stuart

You're entitled to your opinion etc' date=' but I think that's utter bollocks. :cheers:[/quote']

I just think it sounds fuzzy and like it was recorded in a bucket :angel:

The thing that bothers me is that you achieve a sound almost as good... with a 4 track a couple of mics... only it doesn't cost you anything.... have a quick twiddle about with the levels and ta-da... it's at the same level... and free. (that's how we recorded our we "live" sampler thing)

Guest Zeenat Aman

God sake, it's the same old shit day in, day out...

:down:

If you dont like Mark and Exile dont use whats on offer, but if you do like his ways, sound and place, then make use of it.

:rolleyes:

I just think it sounds fuzzy and like it was recorded in a bucket :angel:

The thing that bothers me is that you achieve a sound almost as good... with a 4 track a couple of mics... only it doesn't cost you anything.... have a quick twiddle about with the levels and ta-da... it's at the same level... and free. (that's how we recorded our we "live" sampler thing)

Well obviously it costs you for decent mics and a 4 track i'd imagine...

Cheers

Stuart

Well obviously it costs you for decent mics and a 4 track i'd imagine...

Cheers

Stuart

Most people probably know someone with a 4 track... or you can get one second hand relatively cheaply...

Also... you can just hire out a practise room for a hour and use some SM58's - you seem to get them as part of the room wherever I've been... or if you have some of your own then all the better. :)

haha what is so funny about this is i remember hearing about how much you liked the real shocks stuff he did with you and you were happy with his production but now since your not working with him, or not having to speak to him face to face, you come on here of all places to criticise. Your pathetic really and a joke but thats not the point.

Betamax i found out a few home truths about you as well haha but you keep it up :up:

I think out of most of the studios in this area exile is one of the best as i said earlier we could of gone out to work with nial at the mill or out in inverness with mark thomas both very very good studios but we decided to go with mark as he usualy gets really good results.

Cool - how's it sounding? How much time are you spending on each song' date=' roughly?[/quote']

yeh its soundin amazing at the moment.

We have spent three weeks at it so far but we are only going in for maybe 3-4 hours a time and working on specific parts of the songs, at the moment we have put down most of the vocals for two out of the four songs and have messed around a lot with sounds and effects. Should be ready in another few weeks, i await the 20 page thread

haha what is so funny about this is i remember hearing about how much you liked the real shocks stuff he did with you and you were happy with his production but now since your not working with him' date=' or not having to speak to him face to face, you come on here of all places to criticise. Your pathetic really and a joke but thats not the point.

Betamax i found out a few home truths about you as well haha but you keep it up :up:

I think out of most of the studios in this area exile is one of the best as i said earlier we could of gone out to work with nial at the mill or out in inverness with mark thomas both very very good studios but we decided to go with mark as he usualy gets really good results.[/quote']

It's possibly to cover the fact that after working for so long, we've yet to hear any new Video's stuff. Maybe you're just trying too hard to find perfection but theres no harm in putting some stuff out their so people can judge what they think. I would like to hear what you're coming out with to see if it's as good, cutting edge and uncommercial etc as you keep saying, or to see if it's just similar to the Real Shocks.

On a more personal note, I think Baby Karma will probably record their first tracks either at Mark Winchester's Elgin Studio's when that's finished, or with Mark Thomas at the Byre. I have never recorded at Exile but think that it does a band good to be recording in different surroundings to normal.

Cheers

Stuart

Most people probably know someone with a 4 track... or you can get one second hand relatively cheaply...

Also... you can just hire out a practise room for a hour and use some SM58's - you seem to get them as part of the room wherever I've been... or if you have some of your own then all the better. :)

Actually honey buns, its only a two track and two fucked up vocal mikes.

Apology.

Earlier in this thread, I made negative comments about Mark. Could I say I feel like a bit of a dick, and feel I owe him an apology. We have had some really quality recordings from him, and some quality gigs also. Sometimes I guess its easy to jump on the high horse without really considering first what would be the correct thing to say, or if there is actually any point in saying anything at all...

Would just like to apoligise and say im sorry for said comments.

Thanks

Gary