aberdeen-music

Bad Wolf....

jester1470

I was geeky enough to know what "Bad Wolf" was when I read it on the Wasteland... but remember this:

WHO's afraid of the big bad wolf, WHO's afraid of the big bad wolf?

Guest tv tanned

It was one of those 'wow' moments.

I hope it's a good pay off.

Next episode looks pretty good, I can't help but think of the Kandyman when looking at the robots...

I think he snuffed it in the atrocious TV special with Paul McGann and Eric 'Julia's my sister' Roberts. :moody:

He did... but that's never stopped him before. :p Russell T says it's not the Master though. The Bad Wolf could actually be The Tardis. It was graffitied with those words in World War III plus in the Vicotrian episode the girl says that Rose has "The Big Bad Wolf" in her mind. The Doctor had explained in the episode before that The Tardis gets in your head and translates alien languages and stuff. Also, the Nestine entity seemed angered or afraid of it in the first episode.

Other options are (discounting really stupid ones like Fenric) The Doctor, Captain Jack and Adam. The Daleks could be the Big Bad Wolf too, since The Daleks are about the only thing the Doctor actually seems scared of.

EDIT: Coming to think of it, Russell has done a fantastic job with this series. He's made it stand alone with almost no plot arcs but managed to keep things engaging whilst simultaneaously weaving in past references like the Cybermen. He's moved the series forwards and made it feel a lot less "BBC" than other Sci-Fi stuff the station has done. It's had it's weaker episodes, but the same can be said with Buffy or whatever else you want to compare it to. And in 10 or so episodes he's managed to make a mystery within the story that wouldn't put casual viewers off, but has everyone into the series talking about it. At the same time, he's been aiming the show at a YOUNG audience but without patronising them or losing older fans.

It's a massive juggling act and a massive accomplishment.

When I first saw the episode Dalek I thought "That's pretty shitty, just one Dalek!" but now we know how much just one of them can kick ass... well, it kinda feels like that whole episode was just telling us how dangerous an army of the fuckers would be.

Guest tv tanned
He did... but that's never stopped him before. :p Russell T says it's not the Master though. The Bad Wolf could actually be The Tardis. It was graffitied with those words in World War III plus in the Vicotrian episode the girl says that Rose has "The Big Bad Wolf" in her mind. The Doctor had explained in the episode before that The Tardis gets in your head and translates alien languages and stuff. Also' date=' the Nestine entity seemed angered or afraid of it in the first episode.

Other options are (discounting really stupid ones like Fenric) The Doctor, Captain Jack and Adam. The Daleks could be the Big Bad Wolf too, since The Daleks are about the only thing the Doctor actually seems scared of.

EDIT: Coming to think of it, Russell has done a fantastic job with this series. He's made it stand alone with almost no plot arcs but managed to keep things engaging whilst simultaneaously weaving in past references like the Cybermen. He's moved the series forwards and made it feel a lot less "BBC" than other Sci-Fi stuff the station has done. It's had it's weaker episodes, but the same can be said with Buffy or whatever else you want to compare it to. And in 10 or so episodes he's managed to make a mystery within the story that wouldn't put casual viewers off, but has everyone into the series talking about it. At the same time, he's been aiming the show at a YOUNG audience but without patronising them or losing older fans.

When I first saw the episode Dalek I thought "That's pretty shitty, just one Dalek!" but now we know how much just one of them can kick ass... well, it kinda feels like that whole episode was just telling us how dangerous an army of the fuckers would be.[/quote']

Agreed, it's been an excellently written series. I hope that the next one will be equally as good, and that they handle the transition to the next doctor well.

so much for the conspiracy theories, what about the music?

EDIT: Coming to think of it' date=' Russell has done a fantastic job with this series.

[/quote']

Is it just me, or does anyone else think it's the (less than incidental) music that is the weak point ? Too obvious and intrusive, especially the "romantic" themes ?

EDIT: Coming to think of it' date=' Russell has done a fantastic job with this series. He's made it stand alone with almost no plot arcs but managed to keep things engaging whilst simultaneaously weaving in past references like the Cybermen. He's moved the series forwards and made it feel a lot less "BBC" than other Sci-Fi stuff the station has done. It's had it's weaker episodes, but the same can be said with Buffy or whatever else you want to compare it to. And in 10 or so episodes he's managed to make a mystery within the story that wouldn't put casual viewers off, but has everyone into the series talking about it. At the same time, he's been aiming the show at a YOUNG audience but without patronising them or losing older fans.

[/quote']

I'd agree - I haven't seen them all so far (I get them shipped in from Ellon every four weeks), but what I've seen (up to the one with Simon Pegg in) has been awesome. The one's I've seen have been kinda reminiscent of Colin Baker-era stuff, but waaay better! The second episode, with the Last Human, was completey briliiant.

When I first saw the episode Dalek I thought "That's pretty shitty, just one Dalek!" but now we know how much just one of them can kick ass... well, it kinda feels like that whole episode was just telling us how dangerous an army of the fuckers would be.

I'm glad they've made the Daleks super-fucking-tough, they could have gotten them so wrong - nice to seen the previously fucking pointless sucker appendage getting put to good use!

gotta be between davros and the master....

tonights episode was wicked especially when the suzanne and trinny robots got their heads blown off.

been watching loads of old who recently on dvd, the daleks flew before in the 1988 McCoy series remembrance of the daleks, but i'm sure you trainspotters knew that already!

been watching loads of old who recently on dvd' date=' the daleks flew before in the 1988 McCoy series remembrance of the daleks, but i'm sure you trainspotters knew that already![/quote']

Rememberance of the Daleks - top banana! Least said about the basball bat 'blessed' by the Hand of Omega the better...Kinda like how they've pseudo-tied the current series in with that aspect of Daleks (The Hand of Omega destroys Skaro if I remember right?)

It'll be interesting how they deal with the whole regeneration - I assume that they knew Ecclestone was only on board for one series when they made it? I'm not convinced by David Tennant though, is Russel T Davies helming again?

Rememberance of the Daleks - top banana! Least said about the basball bat 'blessed' by the Hand of Omega the better...Kinda like how they've pseudo-tied the current series in with that aspect of Daleks (The Hand of Omega destroys Skaro if I remember right?)

It'll be interesting how they deal with the whole regeneration - I assume that they knew Ecclestone was only on board for one series when they made it? I'm not convinced by David Tennant though' date=' is Russel T Davies helming again?[/quote']

i think they knew he was only staying for one series and the x-mas special. it is a pity as he is rather good as the doctor

i hope russell t davies is involved again, i think ecclestone announced he was leaving after the series went out, i'm sure i read somewhere that he had to go back and re-shoot some scenes though correct me if i'm wrong. cant comment on tennant cos i've never seen him in anything so shall give him the benefit of the doubt. wish ecclestone would have stayed mind.

yeah remembrance of the daleks was recommended to me by jester, i'd kind of lost interest in dr who when colin baker went on board, saw a couple of mccoy episodes and thought the scripts were really bad, however remembrance was a joy to watch.

other old stories i've recently rented out are the mind robbers (troughton), the aztecs (hartnoll), the three doctors, the five doctors and the horror of fang rock (tom baker). as u can see i dont have much of a life these days.....

I hate to admit this, but I watched Dr Who right from the very first series! I gave up after Tom Baker though. However the new series has captured my interest again. Last night's one was a great mix of humour, fear and subtle (or not-so-subtle) references to other sci-fi series. Brilliant fun.

I hate to admit this' date=' but I watched Dr Who right from the very first series! I gave up after Tom Baker though. However the new series has captured my interest again. Last night's one was a great mix of humour, fear and subtle (or not-so-subtle) references to other sci-fi series. Brilliant fun.[/quote']

How strange, Alan, exactly my own experience - must be an age thing; lost interest after Tom Baker, quite enjoyed the film with Paul McGann (?), but this series has been a must-see for Saturday nights.