aberdeen-music

Anyone going to see Green Day in Milton Keynes?

We have a good few hours in London before heading up. It's the Sunday for me. Assed with the 64' date='999 other people though.... And I so hope it's not raining!

Claire (therandomblonde) and Rhiannon are also going on the Sunday.[/quote']

Ahem, that should be 64,998 :p Yup we're Mega Bus-ing it! that will be fun. We're also staying in North Hampton or somewhere random :rockon:

I'm looking forward to it. It's my 18th birthday pressie, it better be worth it.

MEGABUS!!! 8o

W O W.WOW!

I'm getting the plane down with my grilfriend but we decided to make a holiday of it so we're staying in London for the week after the gig :D

heh, this is our "holiday" too....thankfully I've found a friend to stay with as opposed to the six bed dorms we were gonna be staying in...so it still might feel like a holiday :s

Simple Plan are OUT....Hard Fi are IN....WHO? WHAT? WHY? Back when I first wanted to see Green Day they had decent supports like Goldfinger and China Drum...:(

• 2 weeks later...

So, how was it for you?

Despite the heat wave, PHWOAR, I had such an ace weekend.

Hard-Fi. I didn't think it'd be too hard to replace Simple Plan, but it was. Boring, shit banter, bunch of cocks and crap songs (7 Nation Army cover, wtf?). Nit. 1/10

Taking Back Sunday, not for me, thanks. Clearly had their fans out in force though. Sound was crappy but so were they. Not much passion in the performance, a lot different from live footage I've seen. Spoke in a very patronising manner too. 3/10 at a push.

Jimmy Eat World saved the day. The Middle, Futures, Work, Crimson and Clovers... obviously all mint. Typical Jimmy Eat World, got the crowd worked up, ace sing-a-long for Sweetness. great stuff. 7/10

And as for the mighty mighty Green Day, just fanfuckigtastic. The guys were on such a high with way too much energy. Jason and Jason were ace too on King For A Day, even more so when Billie-Joe got down and started thrusting the stage *giggles* 65,000 people singing along to Wake Me Up When September Ends and Good Riddance was beautiful. I thinkg BJ needs a new script though... but who cares, they entertained for 2 hours non-stop. The buzz when everyone was leaving was unbelievable. And the fireworks too. 10 times better than our New Year displays! She, Jesus of Suburbia, Knowledge, Brain Stew, Hitchin' A Ride, Basket Case and HOMECOMING (YASS :D) were highlights.10/10 easily.

Fucking sun burn = ouch :p but it was sooo worth it.

Hard Fi - as Amy said above.

Taking Back Sunday - I absolutely love them but I must say i was rather dissappointed by them on Sunday, in their defence though, the sound was really rubbish. But i still think they could've put on a much better performance, having seen them twice before. 6/10

Jimmy Eat World - lovely. Abit dissappointed at the crowd really, people were sleeping/reading/listening to music during the set, we were up teh back dancing and singing our hearts out an getting dirty looks for it - wtf you're at a gig appreciate the music, eh? Definately loved JEW, put on a very good show. Was hoping they'd play 'Hear you me' but no such luck. The stuff from Clarity came across very well live, I expected it might be abit rubbish but no it was good. 8/10

Laaaaaadieeeeeeeeeesh and Gentlemen

Green Day - Emmmmm *drools* what can i say? I walked in excited abotu seeing Green Day even though i'm not much of a fan and walked out converted for sure. It was amazing. Highlights were = seeing Billie-Joe fondle himself infront of 65,000 people and also when he thrust the stage and when he got his bottom out..nah, that was hot, but the real highlights were everyone singing along to Wake Me Up When September Ends and Good Riddance(it was woah), the little boy who got to play guitar(how cute), actually it was just all fucking ace, and the fireworks were a wonderful touch at the end. I think it'll take quite an experience to top this weekend. Fucking amazing.

hehe I hear you on the heat front!!! my face is peeling away as I type....

Had already spent 14 hours in the sun on the friday in london so was already toasted and without any sun protection...got to the bowl around 11.30am (almost gave up on the "15 minute walk" from the station. Were pretty much the first ones in our queue, had to sit with a bunch of 15 year old delinquents for most the waiting time, but was ok I suppose. Think they finally opened the gates around 1.15pm, by which time everyone was more that tired, the car park was looking like the crowd of a mini festival by this time anyway!

Got in and proceeded straight to toilet as I knew I wouldn't be seeing one for a while, bypassed food and drink stalls for now and headed straight to front, by 11am we were standing in a pretty big crow staring at an empty stage. The first band are on a 5pm....GREAT!!! :down: Had no intention of drinking any beer at this show as tonight was all about seeing some band I've been waiting half my life to see...nipped out for vegi burgers (7 pound each!) and ice lollies (fiver for two!) and waved my magic arm band around to get past the huge gathering of kids who weren't going to get into the front....glad we made it as early as we did

I dunno how the hell we got threw the next 5 hours, but we did somehow, with only a beachball and minature size token cups of water to keep us amused.

The crew could have taken all day, they must have tuned the singer in Hard Fi's guitar at least 10 times...on the plus it was the same guitar as mine so was nice to see up on a big stage :D By the time they finally came on I think everyone was so bored of cheering each time a crew member walked across the stage that everyone was silent, only when they all ran to the instruments did anyone realise they were the actual band :D

I knew I wasn't gonna like em and I didn't. They played more songs I recognised than I thought I knew by them. Just found them very boring and don't think they're quite at the point in their career where they need to be playing to a 65,000 crowd...this was green days first crowd of that size and they've been playing since hard fi were in nappies!! Funniest thing was when Billie Joe or Tre or Mike would just be walking behind the stage and someone would catch a glimpse of them, suddenly everyone would turn to have a look and start screaming. Of course this happened to be where some friend of Hard Fi with a camcorder was standing so it looked like a big crow screaming at innapropriate moments for his camera!!! Billie Joe should have stood at the entrance of gate 6 (directly opposit the stage) for the length of their set...so not one head would have been facing the stage :D:D I dreaded them ending though, as suddenly the waiting between bands got worse.

TBS came on and suddenly like 100000 emo steve clones barged their way passed me to rip shit up in the pit. DIdn't take long before twats started showing their appreciation for the mosher kids by smacking a few of them in the face. It didn't stop them though. I thought I might like TBS, but TBH... they were just lame...the singer has ditched the Kurt Cobain image for a Brad Pitt image (circa Tyler Durden) this time...they didn't have much to say between songs, and I couldn't hear the vocals for the first 5 songs anyway as the sound guys here sucked..the sound was just a fucking mush to be honest, didn't seem to matter to the moshing kids, but to the critical bastards like me, just made me realise how long I'd been standing under the hottest sun of my life, and how long I had left! Worst was the singer asking everyone after his count of 3 just to scream as loud as they could cos they'd never played a gig that big before and he just wanted to hear it would sound. Hm...I'm pretty sure Green Day won't be needing to ask to hear that noise ;)

Yet more waiting. No chance of getting out of the front barrier for food/drink now, unless I wanted to watch the rest of the concert from the very back. Crowd was getting seriously crushed and a lot of fainting girls had already been lifted over the barrier and taken to first aid. Using some initiative, Jimmy Eat World's crew removed all stage monitors and face their guitar cabs wrong way round so the drummer has something to go by. It isn't good enough though, and JEW kick off sounding like shit with no vocals at all. Jimmy Eat World are a band I've always wanted to see, but not somewhere like this. They're a band that seem to be more about the music and less about the onstage gimmicks (where as GD are 25% music 75% gimmicks ;)) The songs I knew I liked, the songs I didn't just dragged, but in a smaller venue with more fans and a tighter PA system, I would probably have enjoyed them a lot more.

Finally...we're gettting there now, everyone is saying "as soon as green day come on everyone is gonna storm the front!" and you know its away to happen. The crew come out and start getting shit ready, the horrible back curtain is finally dropped to reveal Green Days stage setup, holy shit!! Two big video displays, an army of "Heart like a hand grenade" flags, big red curtains which are hiding the most impressive light show ever...the stage is lined with pyrotechnics everywhere, Tre's kit looks sweet, Mike has fucking 8 8x10 Fender Bass cabs (either 8 or 6 can't remember) and there are 12 marshall 4x12 cabs!! A woman starts climbing the words shittiest rope ladder ever and climbs across a shaky lighting rig, by this time a much needed wind has came and is cooling everyone down but is shaking a lot of the rigs on stage and I soon learn that about 4 people are going to be sitting at the top of the stage in these dodgy looking lighting rigs (suspeded by a few chains!) where they will be operating spot lights. Fuck that for a game of soldiers!! Start to spot a few "celebrities" , most notable Sam Bayer (director of all of Green Days latest video) who will be doing most of the on stage filming (oh yeah they are filming tonight for a DVD!) as well as Mikes tech Micah Chong who was at front of stage the whole gig, also Rob Cavallo (producer) and Adrienne with little Jakob (in industrial sized ear defenders)!! After much fucking about, that fucking pink bunny came on and started dancing to YMCA. At least it woke the crowd up, we then got the intro music, green day ran on stage, and the place just fucking took off!!! Kicked off with american idiot which ended with some explosives which were FUCKING loud!!! (way louder than the shitty PA) sound was a bit better now, maybe due to Kevin Lemoine doing the sound and not some local numpty. FInally went in for the moshing myself as the average age was older than myself, which was good to see. Did all the usual "hey ohs!" which I was expecting, maybe I should stop watching live videos of bands! I started getting a bit tired and bored towards the end and realised I had totally lost my girlfriend. When they played "We are the champions" that was out queue to leave, although our plan of where to meet didn't quite work so I heard all the rest of the gig, I knew it must be 11am by now and our train was 11:18 :D As I'd waited right till the end, getting out suddenly became a nightmare and I didn't actually reach the train station till 12, and in either case, it was my gf who was MIA who had the tickets. But we eventually caught up with each other and a new 30 train ticket and 40 taxi ticket in london instead of a 2 tube seen us back at 4am safely :D

Good weekend, ace weather, poor support, Green Day as good as I hoped, but the size of venue and length of set was too much for me...if they go for this CBGB benefit gig, Ii'm there!!!

Setlist

--------

'American Idiot'

'Jesus Of Suburbia'

'Holiday'

'Are We The Waiting'

'St Jimmy'

'Longview '

'Brainstew'

'Jaded'

'Knowledge'

'Basket Case'

'She'

'King For A Day

'Shout' (yes Lulu song...this is where my attention started to drift!!!)

'Wake Me Up When September Ends'

'Minority'

'Maria' (nice surprise!!)

'Boulevard Of Broken Dreams' (started getting bored)

'We Are The Champions' (my queue to exit stage left!)

'Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life)'

Sorry for the blog type reply but yeah, still pretty enthused about the whole thing! :D

Woah, I'm tired just reading that! Seems like you had a time and a half too, good stuff. I was dying to get Maria but Homecoming... more value! The heat has messed me up too. Burnt forhead (haha, classy!) and swollen legs with the bus too. Next time I'm down there, I fly!

It took us over 2 hours to get back to our hotel in Milton Keyens after the gig. Getting out of the place was a nightmare. But the buzz from everyone was great so we just sang and spoke away to randoms. Our hotel was beside the massive shopping centre, the receptionist said it was a 20 minute walk to the Bowl. We got lost, asked so many people directions and got there like an hour and a half later. No worries though, was all part of the fun :D