aberdeen-music

We're breaking even!

Neil

Shows can be done from the comfort of your home/venue or whatever but you do need to have an ADSL connection due to the bandwidth required and the usual DJ'ing equipment - CD player(s)' date=' mixer, microphone etc.

[/quote']

If you go ahead with the radio (great idea), would it be possible to broadcast recordings of local gigs? perhapas even live? or have local acts 'come in' and play spcifically for the site? I think that would be really cool. How about an upcoming gigs show? playing tracks by all bands playing in aberdeen the next night or something. Members mixtapes/mp3 selections/ipod on random? sorry if i'm jumping the gun, not sure if it would be too complicated/expensive to do.

If this doesn't happen' date=' could the promoters/venues be given the ability to send users their gig listings? This could be optional from their CP, so they could choose the venues they would want to hear from. Aberdeen-music wouldn't need to be a part of this, they could just give the e-mail addresses of people who have checked their box, and then the promoter is responsible for making and sending out the mail..[/quote']

I know the lemon tree have their own mailing list for upcoming gigs, not sure about other venues. would it not be simpler to subscribe to these rather than going through this site?

An all-venues aberdeen-music.com gig listings mailout would be a good idea i think, might attract members who have not been on the site for a while to come back too.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being fairly new to the site dunno never heard the old radio bit. It does sound quite good. How about sections like local music news, gig updates (more sponsorship) and a sport section covering the seaton park outings?? Just ideas!

Also dunno how much cash there is but how about a showcase gig once or twice a year. With chosen bands playing short sets? Not really going to make any cash. Just thinking out loud!

Will get back in said box now!

Well

I'm off to kick back in my sauna then steam room as I have just came from my gym that I installed in my giant loft in the house I bought from the money I made at Drakes!!!!

I closed it down because I had fleeced the Aberdeen music scene enough...

Ordered a new Range Rover as well and I can't even drive... Maaaah. Silly thing I am!

Iam also going to buy a little Bosnian orphan. Quite chique apparently!

I also have a great dislike for music that is similar to the feeling of tramping on a big slug and then stepping on thrity odd wood lice. Not nice!

J :D

If you go ahead with the radio (great idea)' date=' would it be possible to broadcast recordings of local gigs? perhapas even live? or have local acts 'come in' and play spcifically for the site? I think that would be really cool. How about an upcoming gigs show? playing tracks by all bands playing in aberdeen the next night or something. Members mixtapes/mp3 selections/ipod on random? sorry if i'm jumping the gun, not sure if it would be too complicated/expensive to do.

[/quote']

To be honest the sky is the limit as far as radio station goes. When we last did the radio shows we came very close indeed to doing live broadcasts from Moshulu (the PC in the office across from the DJ booth probably still has the Shoutcast software installed on it!). It is certainly possible and not as half as complicated as people might think it is. All you need is a PC with a soundcard, an ADSL connection (512kbps connection is just fine), some Shoutcast software (all free) and the all important audio source. From there you can do pretty much what you like - broadcast interviews, broadcast live gigs/DJ sets, just play some of your CDs, read poetry...actually, maybe not read poetry. ;)

Take the Moorings for example, they already do their live sound mixing on a PC. Get that PC hooked up to an ADSL connection and bang - you have live broadcasts from The Moorings. It really is that simple. And with Flash being a fellow IT man I hope I have him suitably excited by this potential prospect. :p

If and when I get the radio station up and running again (and it's looking very likely at the moment) then I'll happily let anyone volunteer to broadcast their own shows. There is no reason why I can't also include venues or DJs offering doing their own broadcasts as well. And I don't expect to limit what people can/cannot broadcast either. In fact the only restriction you will probably have is how long you can broadcast for and when.

Take the Moorings for example' date=' they already do their live sound mixing on a PC. Get that PC hooked up to an ADSL connection and bang - you have live broadcasts from The Moorings. It really is that simple. And with Flash being a fellow IT man I hope I have him suitably excited by this potential prospect. :p

.[/quote']

This sounds damn exciting! Regular shows could be ace! Dont know if its far fetched or if he would want to do it but Del Franklin is an ace DJ, yeah he lives Ireland now but well technology is great these day.

Live feeds from the Moorings!!!!! quality! :rockon:

that would be the coolest thing. but would people just sit at home and watch the bands? there are some lazy fuckers around' date=' y'ken[/quote']

Yeah I wouldnt approve of it really. These whole net concerts seem really silly, I don't want to hear a gig while sat at home, I want to be there to see it in person.

The radio shows are a great idea.

As for live shows from The Moorings... things aren't quite that simple. The PC only acts as a remote control for our DM1000 mixing desk - the sound does not go through the PC at all. We can however digital output from the DM1000... BUT again it's not so easy. See the PA is only augmenting the stage sound, so a stereo mix taken from the PA would sound very unbalanced. I imagine that the vocals would be too loud and the guitars too quiet. The way to do this properly would be to route the channel outputs into another mixing desk in a soundproofed room.

There is a slightly lower tech alternative. We could route the mix through 16 spare channels in the existing desk, and monitor a stereo output from those on a decent set of headphones in the cellar. The person monitoring this would need some means of communicating to Mark to adjust the various levels on the re-routed channels. This would probably produce a result of sufficient quality for a highly compressed broadcast.

We can look into it anyway.

Nothing's ever easy is it!

Yeah I wouldnt approve of it really. These whole net concerts seem really silly' date=' I don't want to hear a gig while sat at home, I want to be there to see it in person.[/quote']

So might Mr Jones in Wales, or Mr Walker Texas Ranger in the states, but he's hardly gonna book a flight to come see some local band at Moorings...but you never know who could be listening on the web....

of course it will be, its your fault for everything flash i thought you would of got that by now....lol

As for people staying at home, i dunno i kinda think the opposite of that. I think if people got a taste of live gigs at home it might encourage them to make they're way down to see the band in person. Remeber the first band you prob ever wanted to go see would of been because you had heard them on record before not because you had seen their name up on a poster.

How about investing the funds in an mp3 system for local bands, everyones always moaning they have nowhere to store their files, it could be restricted to say 2 or 3 tracks (or a disk quota?) and could replace the AUBL dead link voting system, where by genuine downloads are being tracked, so we have one place to come to find some free music by all bands in Aberdeen, and can see which tracks are doing the best. It cuold integrate with the baord (a la the Gallery?) and people could leave comments regarding tracks?

Could be good for two things, finds out how many people are actually interested in hearing local bands, and makes a central point for anyone to find the music of Aberdeen? Tracks could be categorised into genres etc....basically a local version of mp3.com but more community driven?!