aberdeen-music

The Tunnels

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The official current capacity is 300, its a great addition to the Aberdeen scene with an open minded music booking policy. The one downside is that POSERS who talk & are not interested in music, tend to detract from the full potential enjoyment of events, but I know this is widespread throughout events all over the globe.

The one downside is that POSERS who talk & are not interested in music' date=' tend to detract from the full potential enjoyment of events, but I know this is widespread throughout events all over the globe.[/quote']

What's wrong with talking at gigs? Speaking as a promoter, gigs are the one place I tend to meet new people and learn about their bands, and gigs have often came about as a result. I've always thought it's down to the band/artist to captivate the people into stopping talking - if the crowd doesn't deem you worthy, then them talking through your set should be a surefire example of that.

With a lot of people, gigs aren't just about the music - is that a bad thing?

What's wrong with talking at gigs? Speaking as a promoter' date=' gigs are the one place I tend to meet new people and learn about their bands, and gigs have often came about as a result. I've always thought it's down to the band/artist to captivate the people into stopping talking - if the crowd doesn't deem you worthy, then them talking through your set should be a surefire example of that.

With a lot of people, gigs aren't just about the music - is that a bad thing?[/quote']

yes, yes it is. If you don't like a band then leave or be quiet. Talking through a set is only going to piss off other audience members. "if the crowd doesn't deem you worthy?" - from what I can recall, most audiences don't make a collective decision on a set - remember, shows are not gladiator matches, there is no thumbs up or down rule. There's plenty of time to talk before/between/after bands.

Is it...is it because your band's shite?

well in fact the last twice ive played there with two different bands we have had feedback issues, and in one case when we asked "what do you want us to do to help sort this" we were told "i dont know" by the sound engineer and thus the feedback was there for the whole set basically, i have it on vid if you want to see for yourself. I'm not slagging off jenny i think she is usualy pretty good im just showing that sometimes they have had problems also i was told the other day (by one of aberdeens best) about how it is sometimes a difficult place to do the sound for due to the shape of the room again this could be the reason for the feedback issues.

Guest Zeenat Aman
i was told the other day (by one of aberdeens best) about how it is sometimes a difficult place to do the sound for due to the shape of the room again this could be the reason for the feedback issues.

Thus showing that Jenny is doing a very good job as all the gigs I have played or attended have been great soundwise(and musically, hah!). Most of them have been 'acoustic' and I'm sure dealing with, getting a good sound from cello's, hammered dulcimers and weird Alan Cynic instruments is far from easy.

i've seen some gigs with great sound there and i've seen some gigs with not great sound. jenny seems to do a good job though, and i can't recall if she did the sound for the gigs with the lesser sound quality(i don't think it was, but can't remember who it would've been or what it was at the moment) . dedalus certainly never had any complaints, whenever we played there the sound was great and we had no problems.

i'd agree that it's a little pricey for the old booze, but most places are these days. 2.50 for a pint of tennents ain't the best though. that leffe stuff is nice mind.

I find the tunnels incredibly LOUD at times, to the point I just shut my ears off or leave. Gigs are social, I want to shout in my mates ear to say "fucking ace" or "fucking shite" and at least hear my own voice.

Less volume more sound.

hey dont get me wrong im not critisising the tunnels or jenny i was just making a point that maybe it wasnt cause his band were "shit".

Id agree the first time we played there we had an amazing on and off stage sound which i was more than happy with in fact i remember telling jenny it was the best on stage sound id had since the Lemon Tree.

but not every venue gets it right every time.

I find the tunnels incredibly LOUD at times' date=' to the point I just shut my ears off or leave. Gigs are social, I want to shout in my mates ear to say "fucking ace" or "fucking shite" and at least hear my own voice.

Less volume more sound.[/quote']

That's my main complaint as well, it's a pain in the arse when you're sitting at the door and you can't hear yourself think. I've left the tunnels at least twice with a splitting headache because of the volume - and if i'm there socially, I've found myself outside the main room talking to people, just to get away from the noise.

It wouldn't hurt if the volume was turned down a little, that's for sure..

:laughing:

To the person who left a comment about chatting so loud - and this is the best example I can give..

Why can I hear and speak to someone when in Moshulu/The Moorings/Kef just fine when I'm practically stood next to the speaker, yet it's impossible when in the front half of the Tunnels? If they can manage just fine with the volume at their levels, surely the Tunnels can too? :)