aberdeen-music

Vocals

Guest Bailz

Guest Bailz

Up until now I've only ever played guitar in a band with the exception of backing vocals. My current band wants me to step up to the mic and give it a go - mainly because we're struggling to find vocalists.

Could anyone give me some hints and tips? :rockon:

start showing up late for rehearsal, start telling everyone to turn down and never help move gear....

seriously, singing lessons are a good place to start. think of it this way- you wouldn't just switch to keyboards without a few lessons. start off by treating your voice like an instrument and find out how to get the most of it.

lol so true sonhenry. Always sing, The more you sing the strong your voice becomes, your mates will hate you for it but it really helps. But really depends what style of singing you will be doing as singing is alot more technical than you would imagine. So lessons are always a good idea (Never had one though). Main thing I think is never be scared to try something new, oh and learn a good proper scream thats just ace (like a pantera style scream they rock the caspah)

cheers thurisaz' date=' yeah cant wait to get some gigs its been too long... I've been at uni down at heriot watt so i cant really jam. Soon be summer and time for a new setlist. Should be awesome.

Dont know about lessons though, my friends liz is a grade 8 singer so she helps me out.[/quote']

cool beans. Aint seen Thomas in fucking ages. I'll be sure and find out when it is and come along.

Hooker with a penis, eulogy, the grudge and prison sex would be swell :)

I do kind of remember you starting last time with Lateralus. That, indeed, was fucking awesome. a repeat of that would make me hard, but I promise not to touch myself in public.

Guest AmbientMood

Hardly anyone in a rock band needs lessons, only fags, like DreamTheater singers etc. I would agree that singing as much as possible is very important - only when you are comfortable with your own voice can you reach full potential.

Hardly anyone in a rock band needs lessons' date=' only fags, like DreamTheater singers etc.[/quote']

Bollocks. If you can get away without lessons, fine. But a few pointers on how to breathe properly and how to control your voice never hurt anyone. It won't just help someone learn how to be a stronger singer but may also prevent them damaging their throat and vocal chords in the long term.

Guest bluesxman

I remember reading an article on Frank Sinatra and how he improved his whole vocal technique and strengthened his voice by studying how trumpeters, etc controlled their breathing whilst playing and adopted the same techniques.

I would imagine the principle would be the same regardless of the style of music you play. Breathing and singing from your diaphragm not your throat seems to be a recurring theme in articles I've seen.

Guest AmbientMood
. It won't just help someone learn how to be a stronger singer but may also prevent them damaging their throat and vocal chords in the long term.

Well I guess so' date=' it would depend on the teacher, for example the breathing excersises my tutor showed me helped my rock music voice a fat 0% - everything I'd learned being made pointless when I wasn't singing 'Yesterday.'

Unless you're at Rock School (aberdeen college maybe) and Bruce Dickinson is your teacher:

a few pointers on how to breathe properly and how to control your voice never hurt anyone

I wouldn't mind betting yer bank balance will need surgery!