aberdeen-music

Decent scene in Aiberdeen

Ollie

Been going to a lot more gigs this year and ive been really impressed with all aspects of the scene. There are an increasing amount of varied local bands surfacing and the gigs down at the tunnels with touring bands have been awesome. Thumbs up to Sharon , Stu maxwell and the rest of the Arkade/Drakes team. Those involved with go north deserve a pat on the back in bringing a free festival and level of recognition to the area. Without the foyer , exile , captain toms and key venues such as the tunnels, kef, drummons, snafu ect, its fair to say that there would be no scene at all.

This may all seem like common sense but I just think there is reason to say well done to all involved in our music scene which is flourishing at this point in time.

Ollie.

Been going to a lot more gigs this year and ive been really impressed with all aspects of the scene. There are an increasing amount of varied local bands surfacing and the gigs down at the tunnels with touring bands have been awesome. Thumbs up to Sharon ' date=' Stu maxwell and the rest of the Arkade/Drakes team. Those involved with go north deserve a pat on the back in bringing a free festival and level of recognition to the area. Without the foyer , exile , captain toms and key venues such as the tunnels, kef, drummons, snafu ect, its fair to say that there would be no scene at all.

This may all seem like common sense but I just think there is reason to say well done to all involved in our music scene which is flourishing at this point in time.

Ollie.[/quote']

Hooooooorah! Lets see if this thread can stay positive... Maybe if we all start realising this then maybe...just maybe we might believe it! I had some great feed back from a few industry peeps over the last couple of days and the opinion was "The great atmosphere over Go North, and especialy at the after show on thurs, would never happen anywhere else and its a fucking special city" twas nice to hear and made me feel a little proud to be honest...

J

:cheers::D:up:

Aberdeen does have a good scene...and the promoters are putting in some good work getting really good alt acts to the city....dare i say it but i reckon some good things have come from the closure of drakes...the scene has had a boot up the arse....i miss sitting in the dark/sticky/messy place....but there has been some fucking great acts booked by arkade since they shut.....interesting music promotions are kicking some ass, they have put on about 10 truly great gigs in the last 3 months....GFN?promotions are doing good work for venues like the moorings....even moshulu has got some better acts (although mostly not to my taste!).....

A special mention to all promoters in aberdeen that have given us a chance when probably no-one else would!

yeah. Dave Rowlands/Black box has kinda of held back with gigs lately, but oh well. Still seen some good bands.

Best gig in Aberdeen was still that last ever night at Drakes I reckon. Filthpact, PVH, Macrocosmica and the viciously mighty Narcosis.

Was fucking awesome.

Excellent points made there - Aberdeen has a great scene, keep it up! And well done to all those who work hard to maintain it.

I really enjoyed GoNorth and it was fun seeing so many bands at once, as well as getting more familar with the venues! Ok, so there were a lot of Aberdeen bands disappointed that they didnt play it, but if you're trying to get noticed then GoNorth isn't necessarily how to do it. There is never anything 'fair' about the music industry at any level, regardless of what you may be led to believe, because music is totally subjective. Accept that and move on. All of your favourite musicians were told they were crap at some stage, by someone who wasn't into it, they just happened to find the one guy at a label who thought different.

Scottish acts that make good music will always (eventually) be noticed if you keep at it and stick to your guns. The harsh reality is that many Scottish bands who think they're really good, are actually just ok, and not exciting/interesting enough to warrant getting signed. It's the same in every city, town and village around the country. And instead of focusing on what a band needs to do to improve musically, frustration and petty jealousy then comes out on msgboards.

I say put on some kind of all-day rock/punk/hc/metal fest like REVOLTFEST in Dundee. If you can keep the quality of bands up and advertise it heavily then it'll attract an audience. Apologies if you guys already have something like that going on! I'd definitely make the effort to catch an all-dayer like that if the line-up was great.

As always, any bands needing help and/or advice can find me at: contact@petpiranha.com

"IF ITS TOO LOUD YOU'RE TOO OLD!" :rockon:

I say put on some kind of all-day rock/punk/hc/metal fest like REVOLTFEST in Dundee. If you can keep the quality of bands up and advertise it heavily then it'll attract an audience. Apologies if you guys already have something like that going on! I'd definitely make the effort to catch an all-dayer like that if the line-up was great.

That's an awesome idea, who could make such a thing happen? Hmmm....

Black Box Records/Dave Rowlands tried to organise one at Drakes a while back. We had something like 15 bands, including quite a number of out of town bands and even Destiny from Germany i think it was. Most of the bands pulled out and it wasnt as great as it was hoped.

But another would be cool. Id try and do a hardcore/punk/noise/grind one if I could. MIght look into doing it next year possibly.. Hmmmmmmm

Black Box Records/Dave Rowlands tried to organise one at Drakes a while back. We had something like 15 bands' date=' including quite a number of out of town bands and even Destiny from Germany i think it was. Most of the bands pulled out and it wasnt as great as it was hoped.[/quote']

It was still a good gig but it was a bit disappointing that bands pulled out.

I still had fun! :)

i know its been said countless times before but i reckon that....the more positivity in the scene the more it will expand and become even better than it already is (people just need to be a little less narrowminded)

thats it in a nutshell, as a punter, any artform becomes jaded & a turnoff if you keep within narrow genre boundaries.....

Steady

i know its been said countless times before but i reckon that....the more positivity in the scene the more it will expand and become even better than it already is (people just need to be a little less narrowminded)

You used the term "narrowminded" That could almost be construde as being slight negativity in a general sweeping way... Lets not have a quick come down ;):D

On an earlier point, it is fair to say that "some good has come of Drakes closing down". There were many reasons for doing so and the hope that what is being discussed here would happen was a major one. Although it looks like I'm going to have bleedin debt following me around for god knows how long! And that is why I never look like I miss the little scuzzy money pit! (I do though) ;( or :partyboy::p:jester::woohoo: Back on the positive tip... There does seem to be a lot more people going to, most, gigs these days... That alone raises the bar and inspires promoters! :D:band:

aberdeen

Its damn good to see a positive thread on here!

I think Aberdeen has a great scene of people all working hard to promote good nights. Theres a good variation of music on every night and recently it seems like theres always a gig worth going to which is great. Not so good for the bank balance but as someone said its often only 3 or even free to get in to see good people play.

One good thing ive noticed change hugely for me in last wee while is more bands and other people from different styles or interests working together. People seem to be more supportive of each other rather than slagging each other off theyre helping each other out. Genre or music style doesnt seem to matter so much.

When I was in my first band if you werent well known or part of a certain crowd it all kinda felt a bit kleeky and like you werent allowed in.Maybe it was just paranoia but theres nothing worse than ye olde musical snobbery.

Now,its so much better. I know people who play in heavier bands who'll come up and say they appreciate our stuff even though they wouldnt normally listen to it. Conversely Ive seen bands (who are not normally my thing) and been unexpectedly impressed because they do their style so well and I can see why it'd be popular. Before people were a bit quick to just dismiss folk into categories and that was that.

Maybe this opinion isnt shared by everyone but in my experience....

Or maybe everyones just drunk or had too much weed so theyre being nice.

Either way, its annoying when folk are downbeat about Aberdeen when theres promoters/ bands who work damn hard to put on good gigs/get crowds out all the time and go out of their way to put varied acts on!

Its if these sort of people stopped trying that there would be something for folk to moan about!

definition of folk

Sorry Ross. I meant people of course. Nothing wrong at all with a good pipe and beard of course.Although Ive never grown (couldnt manage) a beard and probably couldnt pull off a pipe!

As for Mr Jim/Twoback Joe he knows exactly the kind of snobbery I meant, one time,on a dark Tuesday night,around 4am, we exchanged rather harsh words at a local established bakery outlet, and he headbutted me violently in the upper leg!

Jeez, just because I said I wasnt in love with the chorus! One T Break win and it all goes to the head!

Last time I share my steak pie with you sir.

(joking aside, meant to say well done for T-Break win, will try to attend your set )

As for Mr Jim/Twoback Joe he knows exactly the kind of snobbery I meant' date=' one time,on a dark Tuesday night,around 4am, we exchanged rather harsh words at a local established bakery outlet, and he headbutted me violently in the upper leg![/quote']

erm...what was he doing down there?

Hang on, is that code???

Sorry Ross. I meant people of course. Nothing wrong at all with a good pipe and beard of course.Although Ive never grown (couldnt manage) a beard and probably couldnt pull off a pipe!

As for Mr Jim/Twoback Joe he knows exactly the kind of snobbery I meant' date=' one time,on a dark Tuesday night,around 4am, we exchanged rather harsh words at a local established bakery outlet, and he headbutted me violently in the upper leg!

Jeez, just because I said I wasnt in love with the chorus! One T Break win and it all goes to the head!

(joking aside, meant to say well done for T-Break win, will try to attend your set )[/quote']

I would respond in some fashion but I am not lowering myself to converse with you 'mere' people...

:nono:

"the leg thing"

Only he could explain himself.....I think I anticipated his headbutt move and thus jumped to perform a Daniel-Son style karate attack (these kind of things are always possible at 4am)!

Unless I made a mistake and it wasnt James at all. Maybe it was a lookalike and I got confused.Yeah, thats it, all the attributes of Jim but on a smaller version!

Maybe it was the Austin Powers mini-me guy and he's not a fan of being quoted lines of Staccato Set lyrics by randoms in pie shops!

"the steak pie thing"

Definitely no innuendo intended.I cant stress that enough.A;so, far as I know, no-one ever shares their pie at 4am! Alchohol has taken over along with hunger by that time.

(Im actually quite scared of Jim so Id like to stress absolutely no attempt to upset, mock or offend him in any way in these postings)

I think Frosty is twisting my words as a way to instigate scandal.Suggesting some kind of sick twist to a clearly harmless and made up story!