aberdeen-music

Tonight in the moorings

The Milner

haha well tonght was an interesting one, the first time id seen all three of the bands.

Spike - Well you guys were exactly what i expected to be honest, you guys are by far one of the funniest bands i have ever seen. 30 second songs that were all brutal as fuck and some good stage banter.

AKA The Fox - these guys were amazing such a fucking ace band. Great stage presence from the singer and the main guitarist, and they have the songs to match i hope this bands goes far.

The Videos - haha well all i can say is im gald this band made fun of us, tell you what guys get off your high horse cause really you guys are sooo fucking boring i left before the end of your set.

But overall a good night and i got to try a few different beers. (the cherry one is ace!!! but sickly after a while)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Videos - haha well all i can say is im gald this band made fun of us' date=' tell you what guys get off your high horse cause really you guys are sooo fucking boring i left before the end of your set.

But overall a good night and i got to try a few different beers. (the cherry one is ace!!! but sickly after a while)[/quote']

Videos boring? Were you watching the same band Milner?

To each their own I guess.

Great gig, I really enjoyed myself. Unfortunately I missed most of Spike but I enjoyed AKA the Fox and the Videos were brilliant as usual. :)

fantastic gig, great bands. Spike werent half bad but the videos stole it for me. A lot of credit should go to the hard work Mark Nicol has put in down at exile for both Aka and Videos.

Sharon Lyndsey...the karen O of the aberdeen scene music scene, definetely! Love those screams and synths.

Tunnels tonite for some dark emo pop from the turning 13 lads ! Cant wait hoo woo~

Videos boring? Were you watching the same band Milner?

To each their own I guess.

Great gig' date=' I really enjoyed myself. Unfortunately I missed most of Spike but I enjoyed AKA the Fox and the Videos were brilliant as usual. :)[/color']

Was I speaking to you outside on the kerb?

I thought it was an absolutely superb gig. Best all-local-bands gig I've been to yet in fact. Actually, that's the first time I've ever been to a gig and enjoyed EVERY act, local or not.

Spike Pile Driver were even better than I'd been hoping they'd be. That's the first time I've seen them, it certainly won't be the last. As I said to Jake, I'd ace to know what the lyrics are... I thought "Emo emo emo emo emo sucks" was more than a little amusing :D Hog's fastasfuck as well. And the stage banter was great.

AKA The Fox sound sooooo much better with a real drummer I reckon. That's the third time I've seen them and definitely the best. The other two times I thought they were sounding a bit repetitive, and I think that must have been due to the drum machine because they kept my atttention the whole time last night. The songs didn't all sound like Dirty Punk by The Clash this time. Which is a bonus.

The Videos were ace. After the first couple of songs I was worried that they'd gone a bit less punky, but I was soon proven wrong. I don't see how it's possible to find them boring with Sharon up there, screaming obscenities and making amusing noises from her synth... At the very least, me and Hog agreed she had a "lot of front" (ayyyyyyyyye).

Highlights for me were SPD's songs about the Russian Revolution and Emo, and TV's "Repeat/Delete" (I assume that's what it's called) and the one about cats. Especially the purring.

Yes. Well. Sort of anyway. :)

Ahhh OK... I'm short sighted AND not good with faces so it usually takes me a few hours to work out who I've been talking to/at. And can take a few months to recognise someone with any degree of reliability. On the first three occasions I encountered Laura back in '95-'97, I thought she was three different people.

I enjoyed (well OK perhaps that's too strong a word) Spike Pile Driver much more last night that last time they played. Although it's hard to ascertain from a 2 second tune it did seem as though they played better.

My favourite number was the one that went: RUMPH SPLAT CHUGA CHUGA RUMPH BLAH DONK.

AKA The Fox... ehm... you're not going to believe this but I might slightly prefer them with the robot drummer eek (no offense to the drummer... err OK obviously that is offensive but I don't mean it that way). There is talk of them getting an electronic kit for the drummer and IMO that would be the optimum solution. It wasn't the drumming I didn't like, it's just that I'd gotten used to that distinctive drum sample sound. Certainly the real drummer gave them far more freedom of expression.

Oh and oops... make mental note for next time to position mic right into the horn of the sax. My fault... sorry Tina you did warn me.

But they were still FANTASTIC and it was great to see them back at The Moorings. Also congratulations on getting a slot at T in the Park :)

Watching Brendon chug a whole bottle of Buckfast on-stage was a little disconcerting though LMAO!

It was also really good to see The Videos again. They are a band that seem to really polarise opinion. Last night was the first time they've played us without experiencing any gremlins, although for me the definitive Videos performance is either the night they played with KLATB and The Grease Monkeys, or the night they played with The Pills and Josephine. Err OK I guess that's not so definitive then.

It looks like we got good recordings of both AKA The Fox and The Videos but the recorder's sample rate wasn't quick enough to capture a Spike Piledriver tune.

Roll on tonight with the return of Hot Mangu!

Guest Jake Wifebeater

A good night all round. Hog arsed up the very first song, no sodding surprises there.

AKA The Fox were decent, but no more than that for me. Not my thing, they reminded me of later period Jam.

The Videos were a VERY pleasant surprise, I greatly enjoyed them, taking my total of local bands I actively endeavour to check out to a staggering three. I'm keeping tabs on them, they've got something good going there. Put me down for an album when it's ready.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
good to meet you jake!

Indeed, well met. You've graduated from "board member" to "real human" now. Apparently, I have to "spread it around" before "giving it to you" now. I resent this.

Indeed' date=' well met. You've graduated from "board member" to "real human" now. Apparently, I have to "spread it around" before "giving it to you" now. I resent this.[/quote']

It's a life lesson Jake.

Spike - fulfilled my entertainment needs with the greatest of ease.

AKA The Fox - evidently good at what they do, not my thing though and I got a bit restless.

The Videos - I rather enjoyed them, until about 12, when my interest was going and so did I.

Hilarious night on the whole.

i was going to say actually. Buckie in the moorings?? What is the world coming too!!

I let him take the bottle in with him. Apparently it's the 6th member of the band. We used to sell it for a short period a coupld of years back but junked it after realising it was loaded with caffiene.

I let him take the bottle in with him. Apparently it's the 6th member of the band. We used to sell it for a short period a coupld of years back but junked it after realising it was loaded with caffiene.

such a great drink and yes i can well imagine with them that buckie is the 6th member, some great nights with that stuff!!

A lot of credit should go to the hard work Mark Nicol has put in down at exile for both Aka and Videos.

Jesus....who told you that?!

Mark Nicol has NEVER done anything for the Videos

We hated the stuff he did with RS too. Much better results were got everywhere else but Exile. Including my bathroom.

Dont beleive the bullshit

Jesus....who told you that?!

Mark Nicol has NEVER done anything for the Videos

We hated the stuff he did with RS too. Much better results were got everywhere else but Exile. Including my bathroom.

Dont beleive the bullshit

I'd be very surprised if he's done anything with AKA the Fox either.

I thought The Videos performance was this most entertaining I've seen from an Aberdeen band this year.

As between song banter goes telling the audience they smell like shit, and clarifying that you mean human excrement rather than just general shit, and telling them you don't care if they dance or not, is so much preferable to your average "nice to be back" pish. Songs were none too shabby either.

A lot of credit should go to the hard work Mark Nicol has put in down at exile for both Aka and Videos.

I didn't realise we'd even walked through the door as 'the videos'... we did a little recording there Feb 2004 as Real Shocks... and nothing came of it, all recordings were put onto the scrap heap as loads of the files were defunked and unfinished - actually... all were unfinished.

The Videos have set up their own recording vacuum and all we have just now is quicky live stuff off a four track. :)

Just thought I'd clarify.

Thanks to everyone else who came along. I certainly enjoyed the gig. :)

And thanks to Bob and Milner for tapping their feet and bobbing their heads (i saws ya). :love: