aberdeen-music

My latest tunes....even some lyrics this time....

threeornothing

Heres 3 new songs I've written, I dunno if my band are wanting to use them, but it would be cool to hear what people think of them, cos I'm fucking loving it :D Just me and my guitar, laptop, cubase, and an sm58 for the vocals....see what you think

Song 1 2:55

No title yet, but theres a verse written, not sure if I'm happy with the words or the singing style (can't shake off the yank accent) and the "2nd verse" is just the 1st (bad) take of the verse....i love the heavy riff in this though...needs an ending.

EDIT - Added an ending which I'm fairly happy with and tightened up some of the drums

Song 2 3:27

Starts off sounding like a fire alarm or something. This songs maybe a bit repetitive and annoying, but I think it works :) The slower riff I've taken from another song I had so it may sound out of place just now, a better drum fill might make it better. Singing would come in about 0:57 I think. Some old school TR909 beats in here! I have never heard the foo fighters before...

Song 3 4:58

Just finished recording this about an hour ago. Forgot I had the gain down on the centre track as I was rendering it so it sounds a bit weak. A riff I had years ago in Inept 303, found a better filler riff by chance where before I just hammered all the strings open....tempo slows right down at the end and fades into an ending, I think it sounds cool but it drags the song out to 5 minutes. Some TR909 beatz to stay trendy in here aswell...a cool freak accident where I did a plectrum screech and my computer glitched and so did the wav file recording, see if you can spot it! around 1:40

some new ones...

Song 4 4:06

Was an old inept 303 riff that never made it, reworked for Red Medicine, this is the most definitive version of this song yet though...breakdown heavy riff at 3:12 that can only be described as HEAVY FUCKING METAL! :D

Song 5 4:54

Red Medicine song, "Verse" riff written by ross and I adapted the chorus riff and intro riffs from it, middle riff came outta nowhere at practice and sounded good...ending has about 100000 guitar tracks none of which seem to know what the other tracks are playing :D

All songs 2005 Keilan Knight

song 1 - the vocals start off sounding quite clear in the mix but when they come back in the 2nd half they sound muffled, what went wrong there?. I think you've done a good job with the drum programming but it could be tightened up a wee bit - the closed hats are a little too loud and the "inbetween" snare hits could maybe benefit from some adjustments to the velocity, just to add some realism.

song 2 - the riff does get a little repetitive, the hats during the breakdown in the middle sound a little "stock" and again could probably benefit from being a little quieter and a touch of eq.

song 3 - the drums sound really convincing on this one, the only thing that gives away the sequencing are the kick/snare rolls, because they lack the variance in velocity that a human drummer would have, this doesn't detract from the overall tune too much though.

This isn't the kind of thing I listen to often, but I think you have done a really good job with the drums and the bits that stand out for me are the breakdowns in between the riffs, where some real creativity shines through.

song 1 - the vocals start off sounding quite clear in the mix but when they come back in the 2nd half they sound muffled' date=' what went wrong there?. I think you've done a good job with the drum programming but it could be tightened up a wee bit - the closed hats are a little too loud and the "inbetween" snare hits could maybe benefit from some adjustments to the velocity, just to add some realism.

song 2 - the riff does get a little repetitive, the hats during the breakdown in the middle sound a little "stock" and again could probably benefit from being a little quieter and a touch of eq.

song 3 - the drums sound really convincing on this one, the only thing that gives away the sequencing are the kick/snare rolls, because they lack the variance in velocity that a human drummer would have, this doesn't detract from the overall tune too much though.

This isn't the kind of thing I listen to often, but I think you have done a really good job with the drums and the bits that stand out for me are the breakdowns in between the riffs, where some real creativity shines through.[/quote']

Cheers man!! :cheers: To be honest I rushed the drum programming a bit, as I was just intending on them being a guide for our drummer (should we play these songs) but the more I listen to them, the more I;'m happier with how they've turned out, and especially with how tight some of it is! I just recorded the guitars to the click so didn't really know how it would sound until after, and I'm quite surprised. I was just using the LM7 built in drum machine of cubase, bit of compression makes it sound quite good. As for the muffled vocal track, its the first take of the first verse which I pulled out of the way into the wrong track...need some more words, they'll all be as upfront in the mix as first though. Think I'll work on the velocity and levels etc. when I get a bit bored, cos even if the band don't wanna use these songs, the quality is good enough if I tighten up the drums a bit, you're right. Cheers again! Glad someone likes it :D

Heh, I play guitar too...and its a one guitar band I'm afraid ;) I'll listen to your stuff tonight though.

For what its worth, heres some lyrics for the first song, anyone got any comments? I suck at writing lyrics and its more just random statements than meaning anything, but with a roughed up voice it probably won't care?!

Do or Die

--------------

Im sitting down on my own and I'm content in this solitary,

I'm ignoring the phone, I've ripped its wires out completely,

I'm not going mad, I just want to sit here today by myself,

Cos no one understands this pain, and I'm not looking for any help.

CH. We really need to break away, I'm tired of how we have to be,

Feels like somethings got to give, cos theres no clear way out I see.

So I'm just sittin' alone, bringing everybody down,

And if you have any bright ideas, tell them to someone who gives a damn...

I'm tired of making plans only to see them fall in front of my face,

I thought I knew it all, but i guess I ain't cut out for this place.

I'm not giving up cos I never really got started on the way,

My misanthropic take on life is much more fun for me anyway.

CH. We really need to break away, I'm tired of how we have to be,

Feels like somethings got to give, cos theres no clear way out I see.

So I'm just sittin' alone, bringing everybody down,

And if you have any bright ideas, tell them to someone who gives a damn...

So what's it going to be?

Do or die today?

I know I made you promises...

Yeah I lied,

And yeah I tried,

But, if its do or die...

Which do you think suits me?