aberdeen-music

Your fave modern day punk acts?

kirkt

Listening to Hot Water Music last night reminded me why they are to me, the finest punk act of this day and age...great lyrics, amazing arrangements and song structures...just musically wonderfully.

they would be followed by:

2. The Freaks Union: now on Deck Cheese Records, anthemic, singalong melodic punk, the most catchy punk songs ive heard still and they blow anyone they play with (which has included rancid, strike anywhere, leftover crack, capdown etc) off the stage.

3. Red Lights Flash: melodic hardcore from Austria, another great live act and they incorporate metal riffs into punk better than anyone else

4. Anti-Flag: same kind of reason as freaks union though i havent seen these live yet to comment fully.

5. NOFX :even tho their hardly modern day, their still going as strong as ever and they make me happy.

what bout yours?

I totally agree with you about HWM, maybe not so much with their new album, but i can listen to flight and a crash any time and still be impressed.

Propagandhi's new album is the same. It's a totally different style from their other ones(not so funny), and seems to have matured a lot (not just as in their lyrics, structres too).

For catchy, more melodic music I'd go for The Living End. Especially Roll On and their s/t. I never really got into their new album the same, maybe from my tastes changing, maybe not, but that's not the point.

Overall, Against me!, my favourite band. If you havn't heard them, I seriously recommend you give them a listen. They are a band which will grow on you a lot when given the chance. I always listen to them, and they have yet to ever bore me.

Others to mention: Strike anywhere, avail, Rise Against, Good riddance, Bigwig, AFI, Descendants etc etc, you get the point ;)

Edit: And i just watched The Bouncing Soul's documentary this afternoon...how could i forget them?

Guest Cowboy Dan
There hasn't been a decent punk band since the early 80s.

What a bizarre era to choose to be elitist about, you could have at least have put in the extra effort and opted for the "mid 70s".

People these days...

For catchy' date=' more melodic music I'd go for The Living End. Especially Roll On and their s/t. I never really got into their new album the same, maybe from my tastes changing, maybe not, but that's not the point.[/quote']

I think i love you, although you should give their new album more time. Initially i thought it sucked monkey balls, but it's one of the most addictive growers i've ever bought.

As for my own choices i'd say...

Beatsteaks: German punk rockers, says it all really. 'Living Targets' is one of my favourite albums.

Zebrahead: Kinda weak last album but the first two were mint and their new one's going back to the roots.

Bodyjar: Australians that know how to write a catchy punk song, going for ten years but they still sound damn fine.

Asian Kung-Fu Generation: Catchy jap-rock with songs that sound like everything from idelwild to Point Of Origin.

I totally agree with you about HWM' date=' maybe not so much with their new album, but i can listen to flight and a crash any time and still be impressed.

Propagandhi's new album is the same. It's a totally different style from their other ones(not so funny), and seems to have matured a lot (not just as in their lyrics, structres too).

For catchy, more melodic music I'd go for The Living End. Especially Roll On and their s/t. I never really got into their new album the same, maybe from my tastes changing, maybe not, but that's not the point.

Overall, Against me!, my favourite band. If you havn't heard them, I seriously recommend you give them a listen. They are a band which will grow on you a lot when given the chance. I always listen to them, and they have yet to ever bore me.

Others to mention: Strike anywhere, avail, Rise Against, Good riddance, Bigwig, AFI, Descendants etc etc, you get the point ;)

Edit: And i just watched The Bouncing Soul's documentary this afternoon...how could i forget them?[/quote']

you have the best taste on the whole boards

What a bizarre era to choose to be elitist about, you could have at least have put in the extra effort and opted for the "mid 70s".

Funny that, there was me thinking that simple intelligence would have recognised the 70s being before the 80s. Surely if there hasn't been a good punk band since the early 80s, there were good punk bands before that.

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH

HWM number one......definetly

Alkaline Trio number two

Strung Out number three

The Get Up Kids number four.....rip :(

Weezer number five

honourable mentions for saves the day, fall out boy, comeback kid, rise against and bane

edit: and feck yea strike anywhere. good call lesley and whoever else said that lot

for me it would have to be..

Anti-Flag, they were sooo good live, but their most recent album, The Terror State wasnt their best.

VooDoo Glow Skulls, i love there drunk pirate feel, you cant go far wrong with pirates, i suppose

AFI, theyve always had a piece of my heart, dunno why, i think its got something to do with their gothic punk edge, im not a goth or anything, i just quite like them... ye know..

Rise Against, i bought Revolutions per Minute with some vouchers, and its a really really good album, i love it, deffinately a band to get into if you like NOFX, Rancid etc..

Lars Frederiksen and The Bastards, Legends, thats all there is to it, legends.

1. Alkaline Trio. Words can't describe how much I love this band.

2. Greenday

3. Anti Flag

At the moment' date=' anyway. Alkaline Trio will always be up there but the others change.[/quote']

Get their split with Hot Water Music. Then go buy all Hot Water Music albums.