aberdeen-music

goNORTH 2005

Aly Gray

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Zeenat Aman
I wish we expressed an interest in playing at this' date=' not only do we not have a demo, none of our songs have lyrics :D[/quote']

You'll go far, but not North!?

:rockon:

Anyone know of any big bands who made it through playing local showcases?

not directly no, but playing industry showcases as part of a bands managed increase in profile, industry networking and exposure to the right type of contacts is probably done by all commercially astute bands at every level - all the time....its just something that goes on, thats why huge bands still play SXSW, to get huger....

the idea that a single showcase appearance somehow projects an unknown band from shitsville into some kind of instant state industry hot property is a Walt Disney/Pixar production however, so yus, its highly improbable a single showcase gig makes much difference to a bands progress...its maybe useful if its part of a much bigger strategy, and a lot more gigs, networking, general cock sucking etc

these are what i understand as the facts of how stuff works and not my own personal ideals

cos reality is not always that cool but it wont't change - and its def not worth worth all the relentless moaning from Jester pants - just go with it....... :gringo:

The point that you're all missing is that the bands you're talking about are playing a young band showcase' date=' that's been billed to the people coming up for GoNorth as what'll be coming from Aberdeen in coming years, not what we have to showcase at the moment...Gone2Far, The Desert Eagles and bands of that ilk..[/quote']

"And here's what will be coming out of Aberdeen in future years..."

i know great they are so going to want to be back here in a hurry............

Great, if that's what the future holds.. :(

One point :

This "young bands showcase" doesn't even seem to exist in the minds of the organisers. I spoke to someone involved (fuck knows what his name was) yesterday, and he said as far as he was aware, the Kef gigs were for bands under the age of 25. It might not be that way, I'm not organising the thing, but it seems they don't even know themselves what the deal is, so is it any surprise the selection process for local bands has been so flawed?

why should she have been asked???!

I feel that as one of the most sucessfull Aberdeen artists who has played a variety of gigs outside Aberdeen this year, I'd hazard a guess more than any other local band, then I would say she meets the criteria for GoNorth which would be to showcase the talent from Aberdeen and the people who have the ability to go further and impress the record buying public. It is a showcase, so it would make senswe, at least, to me, to showcase those people who have got out there and represented Aberdeen outwith the city. That's my opinion, but feel free to disagree as I know you will.

Cheers

Stuart

I feel that as one of the most sucessfull Aberdeen artists who has played a variety of gigs outside Aberdeen this year' date=' I'd hazard a guess more than any other local band, then I would say she meets the criteria for GoNorth which would be to showcase the talent from Aberdeen and the people who have the ability to go further and impress the record buying public. It is a showcase, so it would make senswe, at least, to me, to showcase those people who have got out there and represented Aberdeen outwith the city. That's my opinion, but feel free to disagree as I know you will.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

I agree with Stuart

Cheers

Mark

:D

Ever thought that Jo never made it in because of what she's achieved so far? If she's done so much already' date=' then what's the point in having her involved?[/quote']

one thing i didnt think of last night.

If as you say there is no point in jo being involved because of what she has accheived then why, considering what i know is happening with you guys, are you bothering to enter this? Or why have you been given the chance to play over bands who im sure could do with the exposure far more than my minds weapon. Oh but wait let me guess its ok for you guys............

I feel that as one of the most sucessfull Aberdeen artists who has played a variety of gigs outside Aberdeen this year' date=' I'd hazard a guess more than any other local band, then I would say she meets the criteria for GoNorth which would be to showcase the talent from Aberdeen and the people who have the ability to go further and impress the record buying public. It is a showcase, so it would make senswe, at least, to me, to showcase those people who have got out there and represented Aberdeen outwith the city. That's my opinion, but feel free to disagree as I know you will.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

soooooo

what you are saying is shes already a big pop star (but not quite...) who is above asking to play a showcase gig!!!!

and she will only apear by invitation ....erm, like the fucking Queen

jesus!

soooooo

what you are saying is shes already a big pop star (but not quite...) who is above asking to play a showcase gig!!!!

and she will only apear by invitation ....erm' date=' like the fucking Queen

jesus![/quote']

she did ask in a way, she submitted a demo you twat. you know the way you were suppose to go about gettin a gig on this thing.

she did ask in a way' date=' she submitted a demo you twat. you know the way you were suppose to go about gettin a gig on this thing.[/quote']

so she had her demo thrown in the bin then with the rest? Does jester know this? is this why he's been going totally fucking mental? :laughing:

(you twat?....whats that about btw?)

Ive no idea what the ''rules'' are / were and dont care cos I doubt they ever existed, Im just wondering what all the moaning is about - and why some acts suddenly think they are way bigger than everyone else simply cos theres a few pissed up A&R guys in town

absolutely pathetic

you people make me sick :puke:

soooooo

and she will only apear by invitation ....erm' date=' like the fucking Queen

jesus![/quote']

OK I'll type in big letters, maybe someone your age obviously finds it difficult to read :

SHE SUBMITTED A DEMO AS YOU WERE MEANT TO. BANDS WHO DIDNT SUBMIT GOT IN. I FEEL THAT CONSIDERING THAT GONORTH COMPLAINED ON HERE THAT THEY WERENT GETTING ENOUGH DEMOES I THINK ITS THEN UNFAIR TO TAKE PEOPLE WHO DIDNT SUBMIT OVER THOSE WHO DID...

Ok did you get that ? I didnt think it was that difficult but senility appears to be setting in,

Cheers

Stuart

Wow' date=' because of this comment I got a neg scene point for being "his gay lover then?"

I agree with someone's point.

I am gay. (apparently)

Wonderful.

Sums up the mentality.[/quote']

nothing wrong with being gay at all but agreeing with the Jester is fucking shameful!

....stuck record ''Jo should be playing - click - Jo should be playing - click - etc''

get over it ....pleeeease!

nothing wrong with being gay at all but agreeing with the Jester is fucking shameful!

....stuck record ''Jo should be playing - click - Jo should be playing - click - etc''

OK again you show your amazing ability to miss the point, it's not that Jo should be playing - it's that bands who didnt submit demoes shouldnt be playing.

OK you got that, is it that difficult ?

Cheers

Stuart

erm I'm nae gay

I only agree with Jester on the whole lack of professionalism issue of the event. I couldn't care less who or what Jo is or does.

I'm over it.

Sheesh.

OK I'll type in big letters' date=' maybe someone your age obviously finds it difficult to read :

[b']SHE SUBMITTED A DEMO AS YOU WERE MEANT TO. BANDS WHO DIDNT SUBMIT GOT IN. I FEEL THAT CONSIDERING THAT GONORTH COMPLAINED ON HERE THAT THEY WERENT GETTING ENOUGH DEMOES I THINK ITS THEN UNFAIR TO TAKE PEOPLE WHO DIDNT SUBMIT OVER THOSE WHO DID...

Ok did you get that ? I didnt think it was that difficult but senility appears to be setting in,

Cheers

Stuart

So it is in the fucking bin then! :laughing:

If the only thing you can throw at me is Ive got some years on you (Im assuming that, although the fact your into music thats even too dated for me Dad then Im not too sure..) than thats pretty fucking useless too, although you seem to be pretty obsessed by it? Receding prematurely are we? Flabby round the middle? :D

OK again you show your amazing ability to miss the point' date=' it's not that Jo should be playing - it's that bands who didnt submit demoes shouldnt be playing.

OK you got that, is it that difficult ?

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

So why have mentioned Jo about two zillion times?

The art of back tracking by Jester Pants :D

Demos not Demoes

ooooh....... sticklebricks

Gonynorth do that.....

jesters wear funny hats.... with bells ..... :jester: oh yes they do...... a little bit like clowns.... who have flowers that sqwuirt water......and ermm big shoes...... but I dont think jesters have big shoes.....

:woohoo: