aberdeen-music

goNORTH 2005

Aly Gray

Jeez, how much bands (allegedally) got in through knowing someone?? 2 or 3?? grow up and stop with the tears, shit like this happens everywhere, the majority of the time its who you now rather than what you know anyways, so deal with it :finger:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somebody still sulking because none of the acts he manges cut the mustard? ;)

The Aberdeen music scene isn't all about you y'know' date=' so stop your whining!

Which favourites are playing, and who are they favourites of? We're playing because we put in demos and bios and have our shit together, we got asked to play by Robert Hicks, who I've never met and certainly doesn't know us, the only person involved we know is Dave Stewart at the Foyer, and the only reason we know each other is because I went to him for some advice, and very valuable it was too, another resource open to all that's ignored. GoNorth is anything but a joke, it's just a shame that people don't capitalise on it..[/quote']

to be fair %80 of that post was utter shite.

Guest Zeenat Aman
Now kiddies' date=' stop fighting or you'll all be sent to your rooms.

And I won't put the toys back in any of your prams![/quote']

Sorry, but I just cant take you seriously with that avatar.

Where is Sir Frosty?

None of the bands I manage are playing Go North this year, but I will still be attending the showcases representing my company Dead Anyway and the bands I manage/promote. After attending last years showcases, I made a number of good contacts who have been very helpful moving forward with D.A.

I am also playing a dj set in Kef tomorrow night and will be playing a selection of Aberdeen bands in my set.

to be fair %80 of that post was utter shite.

Wait a minute...Aren't you the drummer in Baby Karma? Another band Stuart manages?

Ching ching. Must try harder.

Ever thought that Jo never made it in because of what she's achieved so far? If she's done so much already, then what's the point in having her involved?

Wait a minute...Aren't you the drummer in Baby Karma? Another band Stuart manages?

Ever thought that Jo never made it in because of what she's achieved so far? If she's done so much already' date=' then what's the point in having her involved?[/quote']

hahahahaha awesome!! Grow up you know me better than that.

Anyway, ever thought that maybe jo needs this exposure as much as the next unsigned artist? Also surely because of what she has done means she should definately be playing after all it is the "showcase of local talent"

Im not sticking up for jo because im in Baby Karma i dont even know her that well my whole grudge with this thing is the fact that we have acts playing who did not submit demos over those who did.

Ever thought that Jo never made it in because of what she's achieved so far? If she's done so much already' date=' then what's the point in having her involved?[/quote']

She's still not signed to a record label though. But at the end of the day, isn't the whole point of GoNorth to showcase the best?

Think how amazing it would be if MMW, Stayover, Jo and AKA The Fox were all doing the same night?

It doesn't take a genius to work out that by putting on bands like The Desert Eagles and Gone 2 Far, the big cheeses are gonna go "so this is an Aberdeen band..hmm, they're bollocks" - and then they're gonna fuck off to other venues and go "right, this band is from Stornoway..hmm, they're quite good actually" - what does that do for us, as the host city?

I don't doubt MMW will get out there, At Long Last will undoubtably try..but the other bands? come on... isn't it just a tad ridiculous that there's bands playing a showcase who have never gigged outside of Aberdeen?

... isn't it just a tad ridiculous that there's bands playing a showcase who have never gigged outside of Aberdeen?

In a geographically isolated place like Aberdeen, with the nearest decent gig over 100 miles away (sorry Dundee but...), I don't find it a tad ridiculous at all.

In a geographically isolated place like Aberdeen' date=' with the nearest decent gig over 100 miles away (sorry Dundee but...), I don't find it a tad ridiculous at all.[/quote']

Ah but surely that kind of means that the bands who have got out there and played other cities and do get offered gigs away from here should potentially be the ones that are getting thought of, as there are aberdeen bands who do play away from here a fair bit.

Cheers

Stuart

I've already said in the other GoNorth thread that i didnt think for a second that Baby Karma's entry this year was good enough for them to get in because we didnt have a band demo.

And you're backtracking, earlier in this thread you said my acts couldnt cut it - and as i've already said I didnt xpect Baby Karma to get in that only includes Jo - now you're saying she's achieved too much to be considered ? MMw were one of the few bands playing who deserve to be, theres no shame in you actually conceding what everyone knows which is that many of the local bands playing havent done anything to deserve to play except for speaking to the right people - they didnt even follow the submission rules.

As I've said, regardless of what she's achieved on her own back, I think it's a bit harsh to state that because someones achieved something they should be instantly stopped from achieving more because they've worked hard.

Cheers

Stuart

Cut the mustard in terms of those who decide, not in my opinion silly.

The point that you're all missing is that the bands you're talking about are playing a young band showcase, that's been billed to the people coming up for GoNorth as what'll be coming from Aberdeen in coming years, not what we have to showcase at the moment...Gone2Far, The Desert Eagles and bands of that ilk..

Me thinks

The ' speaking to the right people' thing that keeps rearing its head, doesn't for me, hold any substance. There are times when this may be the cse and will be backed up by the the band doing the talking, more or less, desrving of the attention. If, as has been mentioned, the bands are rubbish then I seriously doubt that many of the arguments about corruption are valid... Also... What if they those choosing just didn't like what Jo is doing and thought it not worhty of a place? (devils avocate again

Some of the bands I have been in in the past have played gigs where there was talk of shennanigans behind the scenes to our benefit. None of these rumours were ever true. Yes we knew people, and still do, but it was never acted on!

Jim

Ah but surely that kind of means that the bands who have got out there and played other cities and do get offered gigs away from here should potentially be the ones that are getting thought of' date=' as there are aberdeen bands who do play away from here a fair bit.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

by that idea Filthpact should have been first choice. And to be honest, we probably would have said "nah".

Its one fucking gig, or maybe two. get over it.

The ' speaking to the right people' thing that keeps rearing its head' date=' doesn't for me, hold any substance. There are times when this may be the cse and will be backed up by the the band doing the talking, more or less, desrving of the attention. If, as has been mentioned, the bands are rubbish then I seriously doubt that many of the arguments about corruption are valid... Also... What if they those choosing just didn't like what Jo is doing and thought it not worhty of a place? (devils avocate again

Some of the bands I have been in in the past have played gigs where there was talk of shennanigans behind the scenes to our benefit. None of these rumours were ever true. Yes we knew people, and still do, but it was never acted on!

Jim[/quote']

Its not about Jo persay althopugh I think she should have been asked, it's about the fact that there are at least 4 bands playing who didnt submit a demo as per the guidelines and were deemed that they were somehow a better representation than the bands that did.

Whats the point in having a thing where you have to submitr demoes, and then having posts on here by the oprganisers claiming how disappointed they were with Aberdeen acts not submitting and then ignoring those who did in favour of those who didnt ?

Is that fair ? Whats the point in encouraging people to submit iof you're going to ignore them when they do and offer the places to those who dont.

Cheers

Stuart