aberdeen-music

What age should you forget about playing in bands?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bluesxman

One thing that i've noticed since I posted myself as available to play drums is that I received several replies but all from folk younger than myself. I thought it only fair to point out my age and that was the end of that, never heard back! So if you want to join a band it seems if you are over 30 it could be a struggle.......no-one wants an ageing person who probably knows more about music than they do in their band. :down:

I'm 24 and still hunger for it so I'm going to keep doing it. I think once you stop enjoying it then it's time to stop. Fuck stopping because you think you're too old to "make it" or whatever.

This man has the idea. Age should never be a barrier when it comes to something you love doing. The day you lose your enthusiasm, and it loses its fun, is the day you pack it in. Until then :rockon:

Couldn't agree more im 24 and was a latecomer to music anyway i've not played in bands since I was 15. I think a lot of people think that playing in bands is something that kids do and we should grow out of it. Why do people have such weird attitudes towards music? If I was into golf no-one would worry about age. But thankfully im not!

like most things in the media industry' date=' there are no rules but i would suggest that you find an alternative career as your chances of making a living out of music whilst not impossible are somewhat slim.[/quote']

Space and bandwidth prohibits me listing all the people I know making a good living out of music.

But if it's older ones you want.........

Manson Grant (and his Dynamos)......about 70 ish now. Still going.

Michael Darren(singer/guitarist)......50, 30 years a pro.

Eileen G (country singer)...52, still there.

Stu Richardson (from BedHead)...45, 30 years at it and gigging more than ever.

Mike Silver (singer/songwriter) 55, god knows how long.

Eric Bogle (singer/songwriter) 70 odd.. Wrote Green Fields of France ect.

Of course none of these are punk or metal so you won't have heard of them or give a fuck, but they do have careers and they have lasted the course. And there are many more.

this thread seems to be entirely based in a "rock" perspective - what about jazz musicians? Blues musicians?

Pop / Rock is a relatively new musical genre - it's less than 50 years so it's only hitting middle age as a musical form. The afore mentioned genres have been around 80 years plus so a lot of musicians are, obviously, older - rock music will go the same way, bands such as the Stones, Neil Young, etc is will be the norm rather than the exception. Longevity will be based on talent rather marketing.

I find it sad that someone sees fit to give up at 23 - this is purely based on his narrow world view of what music conforms to but that view will change in time after he's exposed to more musical forms & genres and, basically, hears more music over time.

Music isn't like football - age doesn't diminish talent. However, rock music has always been marketed as a "teenage" or "youthful" genre - again, that perception will diminish over time.

As long as you enjoy music, play music.

I find it sad that someone sees fit to give up at 23 - this is purely based on his narrow world view of what music conforms to but that view will change in time after he's exposed to more musical forms & genres and' date=' basically, hears more music over time.[/quote']

Steady on there! I've been writing and performing songs since I was 7, thats more than 2/3 of my life...I've toured the Uk and Europe, and all before I was 16, so my "musical view" is somewhat broader than you may assume...its more the fear of what I feel I have to conform to OUTSIDE of music that gets me down...that and my inability to pen any lyrics to any music I have written over the past 3 years...I don't really have anything to say these days and most of what I have been listening to recently has said a lot to me and I don't feel I can top that, and some of this stuff has come from bands younger than me...so I don't feel so inspired to carry on...

Space and bandwidth prohibits me listing all the people I know making a good living out of music.

But if it's older ones you want.........

Manson Grant (and his Dynamos)......about 70 ish now. Still going.

Michael Darren(singer/guitarist)......50' date=' 30 years a pro.

Eileen G (country singer)...52, still there.

Stu Richardson (from BedHead)...45, 30 years at it and gigging more than ever.

Mike Silver (singer/songwriter) 55, god knows how long.

Eric Bogle (singer/songwriter) 70 odd.. Wrote Green Fields of France ect.

Of course none of these are punk or metal so you won't have heard of them or give a fuck, but they do have careers and they have lasted the course. And there are many more.[/quote']

hang on, you KNOW Eric Bogle? as in, personally?

the guy is a total hero of mine! :D

it sounds like you need to take a break and see if your enthusiasm comes back.

whatever you do' date=' don't stop because you feel you have to. the regret will consume you until you are a merely a shell of a man. or something.[/quote']

I can't take a break though...its all I know...I'm institutionalised....these walls are funny....get busy living or get busy dying...ask brooks

Steady on there! I've been writing and performing songs since I was 7' date=' thats more than 2/3 of my life...I've toured the Uk and Europe, and all before I was 16, so my "musical view" is somewhat broader than you may assume...its more the fear of what I feel I have to conform to OUTSIDE of music that gets me down...that and my inability to pen any lyrics to any music I have written over the past 3 years...I don't really have anything to say these days and most of what I have been listening to recently has said a lot to me and I don't feel I can top that, and some of this stuff has come from bands younger than me...so I don't feel so inspired to carry on...[/quote']

i think you should keep going until you don't enjoy playing your instrument or writing.

life will bring new friends and new interests and as long as you keep an open mind to try and listen to a broad variety of music you can keep on going.

you might think you latest project is not for you anymore , bite the bullet and move on and write about it.

but i must say i've enjoyed song of your songs over the past. my new red grifter - age 7

i skinned my knees and never used a plaster - age 9

got a new blazer for my first day at the academey - age 13

seconds at lunch - age 14

youth club disco - age 15

i've got hairs - age 16

then after that i thought you went off the rails a bit. :rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon:

Age means nothing.... look at Johnny Cash... he kept going until the day he died.

If you are passionate about it... who gives a shit what people think? And if people are judging you by your age it really shows how ignorant they are.

Ok the general consensus is you're never too old!!

I dunno...I feel stupid telling people I play in a band....they look at me in the way they would look at me as if I had just told them I go to the gym 5 times a week and go for a 10 mile 15 minute sprint every night....

Times are strange, I'm too old for playing in a band to be written off as being a fun teen angst outlet, and too young for it to be a regular hobby..therefore I take it very seriously just now, so serious its not even funny...unless you're not me...

Ok the general consensus is you're never too old!!

I dunno...I feel stupid telling people I play in a band....they look at me in the way they would look at me as if I had just told them I go to the gym 5 times a week and go for a 10 mile 15 minute sprint every night....

Times are strange' date=' I'm too old for playing in a band to be written off as being a fun teen angst outlet, and too young for it to be a regular hobby..therefore I take it very seriously just now, so serious its not even funny...unless you're not me...[/quote']

Your age is only an issue if you let it be... there are also issues for younger band members! Example: I certainly feel that I sometimes get looked down on because I'm only 19... not frequently... but it does happen. Last year I had to pretend I was 23 - amazingly I did get away with it - at SXSW, just to attend a lot of the gigs and get in to speak to people. It does come in handy to be over 21 in the US.. But asides that I've felt very insecure against older and established musicians... the knowledge you gain through time is of higher value than having less wrinkles or whatever. Your apperance doesn't tend to help when you're speaking to A&R guys/DJ's/ Established promoters... your experience and knowledge, on the other hand, does.

there are a few people that i know who have dedicated their life to trying to make it big. jacked in their jobs, moved to london, etc and they are still chasing the dream.

depends on whether you want to be a web designer for the rest of your life ? you could think about doing something else in the business - producing, setting up a label ?

• 4 months later...
Guest bluesxman

Ha, I got the same when I told folk I was playing drums in a band...but then I get strange looks every time I tell folk at work i'm going to a gig again - regular attendance at gigs seems to be an alien concept to them....

I don't think you should ever stop getting bands together or stop playing. As long as you enjoy it, what harm is there?

I think the question should be "at what age should you believe that the opperchancity of fame has passed you by?"

I'm 31 tomorrow, still playing, knowing deep down that my time has most likely long gone.

But there's always going to be a little piece of me that hopes I'm wrong...

:help: