5/31 Ankara, Turkey Saklikent

6/2 Saint Brieuc, France Art Rock Festival (solo gigs) Text of Light,

Mirror/Dash and a film by Jim O'Rourke 6/3 Saint Brieuc, France Art Rock

Festival 6/4 Nurburgring, Germany Rock Am Ring Festival 6/5 Nurnberg, Germany

Rock Im Park Festival

Sonic Youth will return to Europe June 24 starting in Eveux, France and

continuing through July 7 in Stockholm. Sweden, for more info check out the SY

calendar:

http://click.myreg.net/r/n_167643352/t_emqc/u_www.sonicyouth.com/calendar/index.html

SONIC YOUTH ONLINE STORE

The Sonic Youth Store is now available via kungfunation.com. In addition to

t-shirts straight from the source, the store now has posters, programs, the

vinyl editions of the latest DGC albums, the SYR catalog and other Sonic items

sometimes in limited quantities. Look for more items to be added as soon as soon

as Kung Fu gets their paws on 'em.

http://click.myreg.net/r/n_167643352/t_emqd/u_www.kungfunation.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=72

SOLO GIGS IN EUROPE

Right now, Lee is on tour in Europe with Text of Light featuring Lee, Alan

Licht, Ulrich Krieger, and Tim Barnes. The group will perform at the Barcelona

Primavera festival the same day as Sonic Youth, and in St. Brieuc Steve Shelley

will perform w/ Text of Light.

May 26 Pordenone, Italy Auditorium Concordia

May 27 Bern, Switzerland Tojo of the Reitschule

May 28 Barcelona, Spain Primavera Festival

June 2 St. Brieuc, France Festival Art Rock

Also on May 28 at the Primavera festival, Steve will perform with longtime SY

friend and collaborator Christina Rosenvinge.

Meanwhile, Kim and Thurston will warm up their chops at the Le Weekend festival

in Stirling, Scotland on May 27. The two will perform as Mirror/Dash, and

Thurston will play in the Dream/Aktion Unit.

UPCOMING SY RELEASES

Sonic Youth are putting the finishing touches on their Deluxe Edition re-issue

of 1990's "Goo". The 2xCD edition will be released by Universal/Geffen while the

4xLP vinyl edition will be released by SY's own Goofin' imprint via SLR. The

Deluxe Edition of "Goo" will include the original LP re-mastered along with

remixed/re-mastered 8-track demos, B-sides, rehearsal tracks, studio out-takes

and more. A deluxe full-color LP size booklet will be included in the vinyl box

set with essays by Byron Coley and Mark Kates.

SYR 6 is also being prepared for release. This CD edition of the SYR series is a

recording of the benefit concert held at and for The Anthology Film Archives on

April, 12 2003. Sonic Youth performed with drummer/percussionist Tim Barnes.

Part of the proceeds of this CD will again benefit the Anthology Film Archives.

Coming in the Fall: While in Melbourne last June, Lee, Thurston, Steve, and Jim

recorded direct to disc at Corduroy studios for what is being released as a

limited-edition double vinyl album. Eight hundred copies of the four-track

instrumental record are being pressed by Saucerlike records. One hundred of

those will be available through sonicyouth.com.

SONICYOUTH.COM

http://click.myreg.net/r/n_167643352/t_emqe/u_www.sonicyouth.com

As always, sonicyouth.com is the place to go for Sonic Youth info.

I would have gone to that had jim o rourke been playing and I wasnt in barcelona for this

Barcelona rocks' date=' some guy I met got mugged 3 times in 4 days, and some crazy chinese girl keeps prodding me in the head while im asleep.[/quote']

That looks like an amazing line-up! Please go and see Les Georges Leningrad for me - I've wanted to see them for ages :)

And the Polysics too, woo!

Great gig in Stirling last night by Thurston in Dream Aktion Unit & Thurston & Kim in Mirror/Dash - tiny, intimate venue that only held a couple of 100 people at the most. I was right at the front stage middle for both sets like the sad fan-boy SY-obsessive I am.

Bad news is that my hearing suffered from Thurston's amazing feeded back during the TDAU set! Pretty noisy free improv with full on jazz saxophone, pedal steel guitar, mad drumming, droning double bass and the aforementioned feedback. Highlight was when Thurston got off stage, lay in the audience with his guitar & crawled through the crowd & then between a guys legs before picking the guy up on his shoulders. Absolutely insane.

M/D started off with Thurston on acoustic guitar & Kim on vocals - both heavily processed with loads of echo. Thurston then spent half the set positioning the acoustic guitar on the amp for feedback while kim played electric guitar. Thurston ended up just playing effects while the guitar sat there & even tuned a radio receiver in at one point - bit weird listen to Radio 5Live or similar & have Chris Waddle talk about playing for England in a World Cup while Kim playde on.... Both finished the set hammering away at the cymbals on the drum kit that was sitting there. Awe inspiring stuff.

I got some great digital pics & a 1 minute video of M/D on my camera phone - it's 1.3MP with a flash & I was a couple of feet from them so they came out ok. The event was sponsored by The Wire & some footage filmed by them is going up on their website soon. As an added bonus I got to talk briefly to thurston & Kim & got them to sign my event program (which is now framed alongside my signed Kill Your Timid Notion program by Lee Ranaldo) and I also got TDAU bassist to take a pic of myself with Thurston & Kim.

Drove home in the pissing rain after the Dread Fool & The Din set & got in at 2am - very tired today but very, very happy!

That looks like an amazing line-up! Please go and see Les Georges Leningrad for me - I've wanted to see them for ages :)

And the Polysics too' date=' woo![/quote']

A man after my own heart. Both are playing in the Nasti tonight, just after outhud. I have a 3am curfew at my hostel and each night finishes at about 5am. Oh the drunken wanderings up Av Diagonal dodging the hoards of leper pickpockets.

Also, Les georges leningrad are playing Glasgow on june 11th are they not?

Also Also,

fib05_cartel_050527_en.gif

I am considering going to this too. Looks spangley and I want to come back to spain as soon as possible. XIU MUTHAFUCKIN XIU

A man after my own heart. Both are playing in the Nasti tonight' date=' just after outhud. I have a 3am curfew at my hostel and each night finishes at about 5am. Oh the drunken wanderings up Av Diagonal dodging the hoards of leper pickpockets.

Also, Les georges leningrad are playing Glasgow on june 11th are they not?

[/quote']

Any idea where they are playing in Glasgow? I've not seen any details of their UK tour. I'm all excited, and the sad thing is it's on your behalf. Dammit.

that was mad. I completely spazzed out the entire time and was rewarded when a marauding sailor pied me in the face. A crazy fight ensued with les georges leningrad accompanied by said sailor, a tall geek with soiled trousers, a masked villian and a hyperactive midget raining everything they could get their hands on down upon the adoring crowd. This was all well and good until i approached the bar to buy a few bottles of water to wash my face. They laughed and I laughed. I presented my bar tokens and they just shook their heads and walked away. Fine, I said, I'll go elsewhere. On the way to the next closest bar I began getting as much of the shit off my face as possible, only to find that it formed into a crusty substance that melded with my pubic beard. Damning all spaniards to hell i made for the last shuttle bus back to playa de catalunya. The bus journey was comical. A group of English drunkards and a group of Spanish drunkards had found an ingenius way to overcome the language barrier through song. It started off with drunken football chanting with each camp singing together, two completly different songs out of tune and out of time with each other. Somehow this melded into a giant chorus of another day in paradise and a mass chant of "phil collins for president of catalunya!!!"

I love barcelona.

PS I believe they are playing on the 12th of june at subclub.

that was mad. I completely spazzed out the entire time and was rewarded when a marauding sailor pied me in the face. A crazy fight ensued with les georges leningrad accompanied by said sailor' date=' a tall geek with soiled trousers, a masked villian and a hyperactive midget raining everything they could get their hands on down upon the adoring crowd. This was all well and good until i approached the bar to buy a few bottles of water to wash my face. They laughed and I laughed. I presented my bar tokens and they just shook their heads and walked away. Fine, I said, I'll go elsewhere. On the way to the next closest bar I began getting as much of the shit off my face as possible, only to find that it formed into a crusty substance that melded with my pubic beard. Damning all spaniards to hell i made for the last shuttle bus back to playa de catalunya. The bus journey was comical. A group of English drunkards and a group of Spanish drunkards had found an ingenius way to overcome the language barrier through song. It started off with drunken football chanting with each camp singing together, two completly different songs out of tune and out of time with each other. Somehow this melded into a giant chorus of another day in paradise and a mass chant of "phil collins for president of catalunya!!!"

I love barcelona.

PS I believe they are playing on the 12th of june at subclub.[/quote']

Result! So, by the 'I'd travel <x distance> to see <band y>' yardstick, how far would you recommend people to travel to see LGL? I take it it'll be worth a car journey down and back to Glasgow?

(Piss sticks, LGL are playing Optimo, which means doors won't be until 11pm... Feck all chance of making it down and back with enough time for sleep before work on Monday)

So you went one better than Alan Cyic' date=' will anybody get their picture with 3 SY's

he he[/quote']

I was just thinking about Alan's pic... "I'll see your Kim & raise you a Thurston...."

I should have got you to take my pic with Lee in Dundee now that I think about it.

Pictures with Sonic Youth - it's all getting a bit passe now!

HAHA!!! Take that!! I see your Kim and Thurston pics and raise you one of me flying through the air like superman with a Thurston Moore between my legs!

Bow before me with your paltry fan photos!! I WAS the dream aktion unit for one night only.

Anyway, great fest didn't you think folks who were there... Missed the Sat night but the other 3 days were awesome!

Rory.

HAHA!!! Take that!! I see your Kim and Thurston pics and raise you one of me flying through the air like superman with a Thurston Moore between my legs!

Bow before me with your paltry fan photos!! I WAS the dream aktion unit for one night only.

damn you! Damn you to hell..... you freeform jazz noise improv superman!