aberdeen-music

100 Greastest War films

Guest haigyman
Your talent for humour is about as sharp as finding useage for my forename. And it was set in the Netherlands' date=' smart arse.[/quote']

ahahahaha The Malculator

yeah, i just checked, it IS in the netherlands

fucksake

still...pretty close eh?

that film is about a year long but it's tremendous!!!

and i'd say apocalypse now is the greatest of all the war movies. it's a work of art.

of course, saving private ryan is a modern epic and the beach landing is outstanding so it's no shock that it won. most people will have seen it but those who watch this kind of shit are less likely to have watched hamburger hill etc. so they'd switch off after SPR has been on.

/x

Erm!!....Hello...Braveheart........ Or was it one of those WW2 movie thingy's...

If it was then Saving Private Ryan was the film...All that limb losing action on the beach, that's what I'd call a day out !?!

Shame for the poor fishies tho. getting caught up in it all...does no-one care about the fishiESSS (fades out in anger).

Erm!!....Hello...Braveheart........ Or was it one of those WW2 movie thingy's...

If it was then Saving Private Ryan was the film...All that limb losing action on the beach' date=' that's what I'd call a day out !?!

Shame for the poor fishies tho. getting caught up in it all...does no-one care about the fishiESSS (fades out in anger).[/quote']

which war was braveheart about then?

It's a shit film anyway.

Battle of Stirling bridge at the start. Although they left out the bridge despite it being key to the scots winnign tactics. I believe the battle of flakirk is the battle which they lose at the end. These are just battle though that were not part of a war.

Damn you, I was just about to say that! Bannockburn is also featured, as, Fluffy, Robert the Bruce features in the film. This war may not have name, as the historians after the event would seek to play it down, but let it henceforth be known as the First Great Scottish War of Independence

Guest tv tanned

at the end of the film, after Wallace's death, the battle of Bannockburn is featured.

Some of us watch this film as an entertaining spectacle, and read books to understand history.

It is amazing how easy it is to do.

It would be classed as the War for Scottish Independence. And no, Robert the Bruce didn't really fight with Wallace, arriving too late with his cavalry at Falkirk, which didn't make him very popular. Although he managed to extract Wallace from certain death.

For those of you who are into vastly over-romanticised novels of the period check out Nigel Tranter's Robert the Bruce Trilogy or "The Wallace".

anyways, best war films.....i noticed they screened the deer hunter immediatley afterwards, ironic considering it is far from one of the best war films...i prefer World War one or two though....was 'All quiet on the Western Front' in it at all?

i kinda knew Private Ryan would get no.1, it is a stunning opening scene though, worthy winner i would say.

longest day bitchs

robert mitchum AND john wayne in the same film classic

also shout outs to the mighty Kellys Heroes, the dirty dozen (come on anyone who watched it the program last nite, how could you not smile at the sight of charles bronson shooting an unarmed dude from behind or lee marvin chucking all those grenades in the hole with all the guest about to be blown apart?) das boot and thus generally any film that had Clint or John Wayne kicking some evil nazi/commie ass

oh and zulu was robbed

anyways' date=' best war films.....i noticed they screened the deer hunter immediatley afterwards, ironic considering it is far from one of the best war films..[/quote']

I stayed up to watch The Deer Hunter, having sat through When Saturday Comes (fucking hell). It is very stylised, with the overuse of music to make scenes with no intrinsic meaning appear poignant, and grimy shots of a rainstrewn town inserted at random.