aberdeen-music

Recording Guitar Amp

Tav

Friend of mine wants to record his guitar at home. He's got a PC with your average sound card and a Laney TF320 combo. Without spending too much money what would be some good ways of getting his guitar sound onto his PC?

Obviously a mic would be needed. The Shure SM57 is a safe bet but is there any other alternatives people would suggest...at a cheaper price point?

Also an interface/pre-amp would be required? I don't know much about these so any suggestions are welcome. Again looking for something good value. I saw a M-Audio Audio Buddy on gak.co.uk and that seemed like a start?

I don't want to suggest anything that won't be of use to him so any help would be appriciated. Cheers.

for mics, i think behringer might do some 57 clones, they arent known for super reliable high quality gear, but would probably do home recording fine

dependinsg on the soundcard you might get off with runnign a mic into a mic input on it, or you could use some form of di box, basically to bump the signal up to line level for a line in, no ida what would work well though

David

Hmm I might be getting a D.I my bass amp so we could play around with using that I guess. I'll prob. manage to piece together a little set up on the internet but if people have set ups that they know work then that'd be ideal.

M Audio site is quite helpfull and some of their pre amps/interfaces look good for sub 100 price tags.

generally, no you can't say one is better than the other... but they also can be used...

pick up some cheap mics on ebay, now ideally I'd like to use both a dynamic mic and a condenser, the dynamic right up next to the grill, and the condenser further away - they will both produce a different sound.

Take each mic as a different track then you can mix them back together on ur puter to get a truly awesome sound - but this is overkill.

I'd say a dynamic SM57 or a copy would suit you pretty good, definately check out ebay.... now to get it into the PC you will need an audio interface. The M Audio stuff is pretty damn good and well priced too - make sure you get one where you can take the mic straight into the card or its breakout box though.... save you needing any external preamps or a mixer of shite

Guest Savant

Where's this M Audio site?

Tav - I just put the guitars straight into the soundcard - it doesn't really need any amplification (though bass does - i just use a Digitech multifx unit as a preamp). Once you've got the clean sound on the comp, use Warp or Amplitube or some other software guitar amp to get the sound you want. Alot of them can simulate different cabs/heads/mic setups too. Amplitube's good for this.

This setup's pretty good cos you dont need to spend on mic's and you dont need to have a guitar amp blasting in your room - it's also easier to monitor cos you can just do that with yer PC speakers. Downside is that you can't monitor your guitar track with the effect on - you need to record it clean 1st (unless you have a really fast processor).

I just had a go at re EQing his original recording using Cakewalk and it turned out not too bad...certainly sounds alot more "fat" I would think that with a better mic/interface and a good audio program he'd be sorted...hmm programs...I can see that being another post.