aberdeen-music

What bands from Aberdeen have had record company interest?

Hog

Kind of a Slipknot situation but Element 106 had interest a few months ago from a guy from Virgin Records, although he digged our mellower stuff. The problem? We have been writing really heavy tunes recently. :rockon:

Anyway (no this is not a slagging match) Has you band had record interest and how did it go?

Guest stuartmaxwell

i was frequently told by members of cuts (not ollie) that cuts were about to sign to polydor records (or one of the other majors)

Rubik's Breakfast have just returned from our tour of Yemen, we'll be releasing our 27th album, entitled 'oh no, not us again, ay up' sometime in the coming months....

Rumour has it there's a Japanese My Mind's Weapon EP compliation coming out called 'I Cant Believe It's Not Emo', 9 out of 10 consumers commented that when spread evenly over their ears "We couldn't tell the difference between that and 'Proper Metal'"...

Also, daily in China there's a vigil to an entity once known as 'Psycho-A-Go-Go'.

Catch My Mind's Weapon, and Radio Lucifer(ex-members of said band) at Drummonds this Wednesday, Rumour has it, Radio Lucifer frontman, Johnny Lucifer, has stolen Mortiis' rubber nose and shall felate it in front of all of your very own eyes. Not to be missed!!!!!!

Only 3.

My band Ass Flood had a lot of interest from Sony' date=' I left soon after due to musical differences. Ass Flood had great success later on in their careers under the name 'The Nolans'.

[img']http://www.autograph-gallery.co.uk/acatalog/N20.JPG

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cgi-perl/music/muze/index.pl?site=totp2&action=biography&artist_id=54551&rand=023

are you of nolan blood

or are you speaking shit

Jo and her band's have had various interest from majors and not so majors throughout the years, some of which were turned down because of band issues, some of which were never followed up on, possibly the biggest near miss was when an A&R person called Debs Wild was interested in signing her old band Arnica (with the mighty Jimi from CLS) after they came very highly placed in ITC (third I think, beating amongst others Muse), Arnica split up when I think they were well on the way and Debs went on to sign another act from In The City, some band called Coldplay... whatever happened to them... This was before I came on the scene, and since I have come on the scene we'vehad talks with WarnerChappell and a few smaller labels, but not much came of them, primarily due to not being interested in a solo singer, the advice is always: "come back when you have a band".

Emma's had a lot of interest too I believe and stemming off that there are a few labels interested in hearing more of Baby Karma, so once we actually have something who knows. Time will tell if anything will come of that.

Cheers

Stuart

Guest Lisa

I happen to know that quik have had a quite a few rounds of interest from labels.

With them being about five years on the go now surely its on the cards. Five years is where it happens for alot of bands.

to be honest, most bands who are playing average and above music will recieve "interest" from record labels. By this i mean, a record label will request a demo from them, or someone who works for the label will request a demo. This is a standard practice for most labels, they will have heard a buzz about your band from either the promoters or press (local and national) and will want to see what the fuss is about. Unless these individuals/companies follow up on this initial approach, there is no "interest" from the label.

Only when a band has a representative from the label attending every gig, practice, and speaking to the band on a daily/weekly basis can it be called "interest". For example, Brendan O'Hare from Sony was courting Franz Ferdinand for months and months, going to every gig, taking them for meals and arranging meetings with the Sony Exec's, all to try and sign them. They eventually signed for Domino records, who they felt gave them more artistic control.

Also, another example is Julia Thirteen from Glasgow. They have had record labels after them for about 1 year. Rick from Polydor has been to every Julia gig i've been to, including one about 2 years ago. I've heard various rumours they're signing to Mercury, but they aren't giving anything away until pen is on paper.

So, if a label contacts your band, that is only the first step. There is a lot more to do than just send off your demo and wait for the contract to arrive in the post

with rossP here, you have no interest from any label until they are more or less beating you off. bands i've played in have had emails, chat, requests for this and that, come to see us, spoke to us more, one asked our singer to visit the label headquarters in america, he came accross to see us here. STILL i would not describe it as interest, basically because he never offered to actually give us money

Look back at the post, I said they used to be called "Ass Flood"...it was a joke.

Although, according to a negative scene point, it wasn't funny. Which kind of irked me because it wasn't just an off-the-cuff joke, I had to google for Nolan pictures and everything.