aberdeen-music

Sherman Filterbank

they are used by loads of people, from william orbit through to nine inch nails to the chemical brothers. you can get some amazing gain out of them, really transform sounds with them. unfortunately they cost around 500 squid new, though i've seen them go on ebay for just over 350 (though not very often).

supposed to be great for livening up synths and guitars, but can be used for anything that you want to really mangle. i spend a lot of my time putting the nord through my line6 to warm it up, add stereo delays, etc., but sometimes it just doesn't seem enough. it needs uber gain.

yeah i'd want it in hardware, there's nothing like twiddling nobs with two hands whilst loops are playing in the background. also, i'm not sure if ardour handles VST2.3, i've certainly had trouble trying to get the autotune VST to work so far.

i think the midi implementation is a bit shaky on the filterbank, it can have some settings restored (i.e. written to it over midi), but certainly not all of the settings.

getting more VSTs means having to get more CPU power anyway, so either way money would be flying out the window :(

Ditching Linux would solve that problem ;)

hah, well, considering i'm able to do about 1.5 times as much with the same processing power than i could in windows, i'm not complaining. i am generally moving more to hardware from VSTs these days anyway, e.g. instead of amplitube i use my line6 pod pro rack, and the LADSPA reverb and stereo echo delays are amazing, they are just a total bitch to use at first, and have no default settings. it's a martyr's life, but it works for me.

i have always used drum machines for recording, whether hardware or software, and that is why i'll never go back to windows, because the drum machine software on linux is so amazing. the synth software is amazing too - no nasty hard edged saw sounds (though you can create them), beautiful effect laden synth noises that sound like they come from a virus-c or something!

at the end of the day, all the software is free, easy to get hold of, and updated regularly.

The Sherman Filterbank is a very cool piece of kit, but I'd question how much real use you would get from it ? Sure it sounds pretty good, but are you going to use that on every single track you create ? Its also the sort of tool that requires a lot of time spent on it to get the best results..

What use did you have in mind for it ?

I've had good results feeding exteranl audio through some of my analog synths, but not an effect I'd use everyday..

The Sherman Filterbank is a very cool piece of kit' date=' but I'd question how much real use you would get from it ? Sure it sounds pretty good, but are you going to use that on every single track you create ? Its also the sort of tool that requires a lot of time spent on it to get the best results..

What use did you have in mind for it ?

I've had good results feeding exteranl audio through some of my analog synths, but not an effect I'd use everyday..[/quote']

Hmmm, don't know if i'd use it on every track, that's overkill for me as it's not an instrument, just a processor. whereas the nord, it generally makes an appearance in some shape or form in every track i do.

i'd want to use it for the nord, guitars, bass and maybe even vocals. i'm used to spending a lot of time with the nord and/or effects (rarely use the nord clean) looking for new textures and sounds. i've heard samples of work that have filterbank usage and have talked at length with our producer who uses one for a lot of his own stuff.

do you have a filterbank? if so, is it the first or second one?

do you have a filterbank?

No I don't. 90% of my equipment is analog, so I don't really have a need for it.

I've bought kit before that I've been sold on the idea, and its great kit, but it has a certain distrinctive sound that you really wanted, and once you've got it you crave something different to stop it all sounding the same..

I'd be inclined to try and get one on eBay for a decent price and if you don't like it put it back on eBay and you shouldn't loose too much.