aberdeen-music

Pixies confirmed for T on the Fringe

• 3 weeks later...
You don't see three Scottish acts playing as being a good thing?

I would, but not these 'Rent a support acts' who get dragged out for all big gigs. Teenage Fanclub were wheeled out not only for Rem at Stirling castle, but also for Radiohead in the A.E.C.C. When you are paying 35 for a ticket, I hope for word class support. Not a couple of Scottish acts who do regular tours of their home territory.

That makes more sense then.

I agree with Craig - considering the RHCP lineup from last year I was expecting much more exciting support bands. Idlewild are brilliant and having recently been exposed to more Fannies (chortle chortle chortle) they seem to be a decent band as well but still not as high profile as I'd hoped for.

That makes more sense then.

I agree with Craig - considering the RHCP lineup from last year I was expecting much more exciting support bands. Idlewild are brilliant and having recently been exposed to more Fannies (chortle chortle chortle) they seem to be a decent band as well but still not as high profile as I'd hoped for.

I may be talking rubbish but what does a red hot chili peppers show have to with this?

I may be talking rubbish but what does a red hot chili peppers show have to with this?

Nothing directly but it was mentioned earlier in the thread and it's a good example of the sort of array of artists I expected to be appearing with the Pixies at this gig that's all.

• 2 months later...

Pixies were mind - blowingly good at this show. They just churned out the songs without drawing breath and I was in awe at how good they still are.

Surely Joey Santiago is the most underrated guitarist ever? It all seems so effortless, but he's so original and talented. Frank Black kept making him play and make weird noises come out of his guitar when they played Vamos - brilliant.

Black / Frank / Charles was in superb voice throughout and is such a genuine legend. Kim Deal still has "the voice" and Lovering is as solid as ever.

There was no need to play both versions of Wave of Mutilation, but they made up with an amazing version of Winterlong, Lady in the Radiator song, Stormy Weather(!) and Broken Face. Ed is Dead, too! And they played three off Trompe Le Monde! It was all a bit too much for me - I was near the front with all these folk moshing and jumping about just standing there in sheer awe. Brilliant.

Oh and Teenage Fanclub are so bland it's offensive. Third time seeing them support (REM and Radiohead being the others) and they just get more turgid and tedious every time. And Idlewild have really lost it. To think I used to love this band! They are MOR pish and to everyone who said I should see them live to make a judgement of what they are really like now - I have and it was sad to see songs like Little Discourage, When I Argue and worst of all A Film For The Future (literally one of my all - time fave songs) reduced to a croon by Woomble, refusing to even raise his voice or even think about shouting, complete with a diluted band behind him. Most displeasing. But the Pixies ruled and that's what I was there for!