aberdeen-music

How good (or bad) was Triptych???

betamax

i think we are talking to a brick wall though.

:down:

if thats me (the brick wall) you mean, then check back to where I say ''cheers'' for the info about decent promotions....really! (pity most of em are empty* and Im not being sarcastic/ironic > I HOPE THEY DO WELL cos thats what this shithole needs)

*see earlier comments ref: engaging interest of general public

fucking hell you really should start to read your OWN personal forums (it does belong to you yus?....or do you share it with MMW and Hog? he he!)

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Zeenat Aman
never been to Malt Mill or seen an indie band' date=' rock band/metal band for longer than it takes me to finish me voddy/go for a piss[/quote']

:laughing: wow, you must have left a fair amount of local gigs in your time!!!

Does this mean you'd stick around for a hippy dippy Sundaramusic set then?

If such a thing ever happens!

:gringo:

so i dont know what your (or chillis point is) apart from scoring scene points *yawn*

ive asked you three times to name those artists, but obviously you are avoiding

your original statement to back up it up with names, so makes me think

you can't, so goodbye from me on this thread. (what a waste of time)

:laughing: wow' date=' you must have left a fair amount of local gigs in your time!!!

Does this mean you'd stick around for a hippy dippy Sundaramusic set then?

If such a thing ever happens!

:gringo:

fortunatley Ive learnt to detect and avoid them ....you can actually smell them from a distance ....even over the internet

Your stuff would be cool live tho, based on your doon loadable stuff, unless you decide to go hippycore or motherfucking bangra rawk!

ive asked you three times to name those artists' date=' but obviously you are avoiding

your original statement to back up it up with names, so makes me think

you can't, so goodbye from me on this thread. (what a waste of time)[/quote']

Im deducting a scene point for talking to me like my mam does...... :puke:

Guest stuartmaxwell
if thats me (the brick wall) you mean' date=' then check back to where I say ''cheers'' for the info about decent promotions....really! (pity most of em are empty* and Im not being sarcastic/ironic > I HOPE THEY DO WELL cos thats what this shithole needs)

*see earlier comments ref: engaging interest of general public

fucking hell you really should start to read your OWN personal forums (it does belong to you yus?....or do you share it with MMW and Hog? he he!)[/quote']

why do you live in abdn betamax, you obviously have a strong distaste for everyone and everything to do with aberdeen, why not fuck off and be miserable somewhere else?

why do you live in abdn betamax' date=' you obviously have a strong distaste for everyone and everything to do with aberdeen, why not fuck off and be miserable somewhere else?[/quote']

Thats another rather huge generalisation/assumption......Im afraid ill have to deduct a scene point for your girly over reaction

I only asked why the general public generally dont attend gigs outwith Triptyth!????

And now Mr Super Scene (A true giant in his own massage bored) is asking me to leave!

He he....nothing ever changes! :D

Guest stuartmaxwell

I only asked why the general public generally dont attend gigs outwith Triptyth!????

i am surprised you go to gigs in Aberdeen, what with you not actually liking any bands/acts/music and avoiding promoters you havent heard of

lets kiss and make up beta

xxx

i am surprised you go to gigs in Aberdeen' date=' what with you not actually liking any bands/acts/music and avoiding promoters you havent heard of

lets kiss and make up beta

xxx[/quote']

you havent actually read any of these ''how do we get the gigs to appeal to the public'' posts have you???

you big homo xxx

Thats another rather huge generalisation/assumption......Im afraid ill have to deduct a scene point for your girly over reaction

And now Mr Super Scene (A true giant in his own massage bored) is asking me to leave!

He he....nothing ever changes! :D

The way the original post was worded suggested that you felt that local promoters never or can't bring interesting and varied acts to Aberdeen and it has to be left to the large financed companies to do so. That's the way it was read and that's what got me a little huffy... Maybe you should consider your wording before you, unintentionaly I'm sure, insult those that care and do their absolute best with no, or very little thanks... I do understand what you are trying to get at but it was a helluva way to put it across. How about 'shite promoters fuck off' ? sums it up no? (not me saying that by the way)

Jim :cheers:

Overall I thought it was fantastic' date=' and kinda proves that there are lotsa people in the deen who will go to underground gigs en mass if the promoters got their shit together[/quote']

yes there did seem to be lots of faces id never seen before at the triptych gigs i went to...totally typical...really makes me wonder where all these people appear from...when you also know that they'd enjoy a lot more of the smaller, independent gigs going on in aberdeen if they'd only seek them out...and ok you may say that its down to our advertising but believe me, we advertise as much as is humanly possible - as much as you can when you're a one, or two man band!..

Triptych has shitloads of money behind it remember for national advertising/marketing/getting people to the shows, a team of people working on that 5 days all year round - how do you expect local promoters like myself to compete with that, or conjour up those kind of line ups with ZERO BUDGET...and full time day jobs?! i, and others, in this city really do try our hardest to bring great music to the city (maybe not always to your taste) ALL IN OUR SPARE TIME,and FOR NO PROFIT (usually a loss involved!) im not ranting/moaning about it, because i love what i do.....just that your original post did sound like it was having a go at us local promoters for being shit... ;(

There

and there again....... I wonder if the penny will drop at all....

But come on Shaz! Why haven't you sorted a massive three city advert featuring Friz Turdinhand shown in all the national cinemas to promote a huge festival type thing, huh huh huh? Slacking are ye...? Come on couldn't cost that much....

J :D;):laughing:

Throw thousands of pounds at advertising and charge 15 a ticket..simple' date=' no? :)[/quote']

There is an element of truth in this you know. It seems, through experience, that Aberdonians will happily pay over the odds for something then ignore the lesser costing gigs/events that are frequently better. Like "if it is cheap then it is shite" attitude. Strange...

and yeah' date=' id like to know how to get the masses out to more underground gigs too...! what is the magic formula?! :swearing::rolleyes:[/quote']

personally what always put me off drakes was the regular clientele, and the fear that any of the gigs that didnt feature local crap bands and actually had some outside talent would still be the same kind of band and sound.

Frankly I just don't think there is an audience in aberdeen that makes it worthwhile booking and hosting any decent "underground" stuff. Most of what people on this site seem to consider "underground" or "interesting" is either chinstroking a-musical unentertaining pap in venues which demand silence during sets, or craply performed and written schoolboy white trash honkey "its cool because its ironic" 80's style metal, or so called punk which is in all truth a living breathing contradiction and hideous tasteless frankenstein, or bands that write 20 second songs of shouting and distortion because they have no talent whatsoever except a skillful ability to sound like shit.

I mean come on, what the fuck is wrong with the world when bands like Europe and Vanilla Ice generate genuine *excitement* among the gig going contingent?

It's all gone wrong, I tell you! Run away!

p.s to whome it may concern, tryptch is hardly underground considering the level of sponsorship and advertising.

personally what always put me off drakes was the regular clientele' date=' and the fear that any of the gigs that didnt feature local crap bands and actually had some outside talent would still be the same kind of band and sound.[/quote']

eh?! o_O hehehe not even gonna get into that one!!

Frankly I just don't think there is an audience in aberdeen that makes it worthwhile booking and hosting any decent "underground" stuff.

utter rubbish! thank god not everyone in aberdeen thinks like you....what a tragedy that would be! :rolleyes: it takes time to build audiences, and to encourage people to come and see something a little different....it is working slowly but surely in aberdeen i can assure you - and plenty of touring acts are now favouring, and enjoying, aberdeen over glasgow/edinburgh believe it or not....

Most of what people on this site seem to consider "underground" or "interesting" is either chinstroking a-musical unentertaining pap in venues which demand silence during sets, or craply performed and written schoolboy white trash honkey "its cool because its ironic" 80's style metal, or so called punk which is in all truth a living breathing contradiction and hideous tasteless frankenstein, or bands that write 20 second songs of shouting and distortion because they have no talent whatsoever except a skillful ability to sound like shit.

im interested as to what's 'underground' to you....

p.s to whome it may concern, tryptch is hardly underground considering the level of sponsorship and advertising.

i agree with this though!

eh?! o_O hehehe not even gonna get into that one!!

Put it this way' date=' I have never been into any other venue in aberdeen and felt everyones eye's on me the way I did when I walked through the door at drakes. To me that indicates stagnation, it felt like I was walking in on a private party, and I don't think that is healthy atall.

utter rubbish! thank god not everyone in aberdeen thinks like you....what a tragedy that would be! :rolleyes: it takes time to build audiences, and to encourage people to come and see something a little different....it is working slowly but surely in aberdeen i can assure you - and plenty of touring acts are now favouring, and enjoying, aberdeen over glasgow/edinburgh believe it or not...

I understand that it takes time to build audiences, and I think it's great that there are people trying to make that happen in aberdeen in all sorts of ways, in a way you are agreeing with me by really saying that - it wouldn't be necessary if the people in aberdeen already had good taste or the desire to seek out genuinely good music ;)

Re: what is underground - Prerequisites are sincerity, finesse, and genuinely GOOD music. a quartet of sweaty students pissing around at captain toms practicing the monkey-see monkey-do ethic doesn't cut it, neither does people in their bedrooms putting together a hideous a-musical mess of noise and calling it experimental.

Guest stuartmaxwell
Put it this way' date=' I have never been into any other venue in aberdeen and felt everyones eye's on me the way I did when I walked through the door at drakes. To me that indicates stagnation, it felt like I was walking in on a private party, and I don't think that is healthy atall.

[/quote']

not having a go or anything but do you smoke a lot of weed?

paranoia?

before i got to know anyone, i used to turn up at drakes on my own and i always felt very welcome. i made some awesome friends and seen some awesome music as a result of that place being open and welcoming

who actually cares about what is underground and what isnt?

not having a go or anything but do you smoke a lot of weed?

paranoia?

before i got to know anyone' date=' i used to turn up at drakes on my own and i always felt very welcome. i made some awesome friends and seen some awesome music as a result of that place being open and welcoming

who actually cares about what is underground and what isnt?[/quote']

I don't smoke weed. Maybe you felt welcome because you fit in with that whole underage, needs a haircut and a dose of puberty or middle aged and needs a dose of reality type crowd that frequented drakes.

The place just wasn't somewhere that had a lot of fresh faces, i.e the general public, going through it, and that was because a lot of the music was shit, it was down a dark alleyway, and it was full of sad weirdos.