aberdeen-music

How good (or bad) was Triptych???

betamax

I don't smoke weed. Maybe you felt welcome because you fit in with that whole underage' date=' needs a haircut and a dose of puberty or middle aged and needs a dose of reality type crowd that frequented drakes.

The place just wasn't somewhere that had a lot of fresh faces, i.e the general public, going through it, and that was because a lot of the music was shit, it was down a dark alleyway, and it was full of sad weirdos.[/quote']

i found out who you are the other day (in real life!) , and i honestly dont think you are in any position to talk about anything, ever...

oh how i laughed and laughed.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean come on' date=' what the fuck is wrong with the world when bands like Europe and Vanilla Ice generate genuine *excitement* among the gig going contingent?

[/quote']

if you site Europe as causing genuine excitement you are beyond our help.....................

if you site Europe as causing genuine excitement you are beyond our help.....................

Judging by the posts on this site it seems to be causing excitment to some people. I mean, come on, what the fuck is up with these people?

Europe? Vanilla fucking ice?

They were shite in the 80s & they're shite now - even in my most ironic, retro, knowing, winking mode I'd never be seen at this pish.

Shame on these people.

As for the whole local promoters thread, people like Shaz, Jim, Chilli & Graeme have nothing but my utmost respect for the gigs they put on & the time & work they put into it. It's easy for Tennants to plough money into Triptych / T in The Park / T on The Fringe but for these guys to put on gigs - big or small - it's a big difference. I, personally, wouldn't be able to do what they do & give up so much time (and money) for it. I do, however, share some of their frustration at times - it bugs me to go to gigs such as Caribou or Thee More Shallows & see less than expected, or hoped for, crowds. One can't help but think that if these gigs were marketed under the Triptych banner then the punters would be flocking in.

So, in summary, don't moan about the promoters. Get the punters out to "underground" gigs & you'll get the gigs & bands you want - go to Vanilla Ice or Europe & you'll end up getting the gigs you deserve.

i think the reason tryptych saw many new faces was because it advertised to many new faces. for example, my brother and more importantly my sister-in-law-to-be got sent a tryptych thing through the post (don't know why or how). they didn't actually go to any of the events because they didn't have the money, but at least they were talking about it - they would have probably chosen to see roots manuva.

so the point is maybe that local music events need a lot of fresh blood, and/or new methods of advertising? neither my brother or his fiance would ever go down to the tunnels or snafu to see a gig unless i dragged them along, yet they would have gone to tryptych had it not been for the cost? i think the shift events have the great potential to bring in this new blood, because of their different approach, venue style and atmosphere.

hardly something to complain about, but there sheer fact that there are so many gigs worth going to is at times a deterrent. at the moment i'm very much choosing "gig of the week" to go to, because i've no cash, and i find it hard to go to a gig and not have beers.

I don't smoke weed. Maybe you felt welcome because you fit in with that whole underage' date=' needs a haircut and a dose of puberty or middle aged and needs a dose of reality type crowd that frequented drakes.

The place just wasn't somewhere that had a lot of fresh faces, i.e the general public, going through it, and that was because a lot of the music was shit, it was down a dark alleyway, and it was full of sad weirdos.[/quote']

Cheeeesh... Some of the nicest people in Aberdeen visisted and made it their place of choice. Being that I was in there near 7 nights a week you are so far off the mark! We have had visitors from all over the world that loved the place and the clientele, as did I. It is fair to say that there was a particular reputation with regards to the music, stemming from the early days, that created a particular attitude towrd Drake's. This however, changed greatly over the last year and a half of existence. It was always a hard fight proving and providing diversity to the masses. Narrow minds were, and still are in this city, a problem! Anyway I am not getting into a debate about Drakes, the place is too close to my heart for me to let ignorant remarks slip by. But i reckon I have said my piece!

Jim

The way the original post was worded suggested that you felt that local promoters never or can't bring interesting and varied acts to Aberdeen and it has to be left to the large financed companies to do so. That's the way it was read and that's what got me a little huffy... Maybe you should consider your wording before you' date=' unintentionaly I'm sure, insult those that care and do their absolute best with no, or very little thanks... I do understand what you are trying to get at but it was a helluva way to put it across. How about 'shite promoters fuck off' ? sums it up no? (not me saying that by the way)

Jim :cheers:[/quote']

i just checked back to see if I said anything rude or deflamatory about promoters

i soooooo didnt

and I think the Drakes posse know I dont think they are ''shite promoters who should fuck off'' since in me non punter mode (when I play in a band) Im always dead pleased to work with em

didnt think that bit would need explaining but there you go

the scenes No.1 shit stirrer and corporate sponsor of this massage bored maybe got you all wound up with his usual twisted mis-quotes and gigantic exaggerations when it comes to his most hated band! x x x

cheers :cheers: up yer bum etc

just that your original post did sound like it was having a go at us local promoters for being shit... ;(

getting ones ''shit together'' and ''being shit'' are v different things yes/no

i think so

anyway I didnt mean you, I kind of assumed people in town who I talk to sometimes and even do gigs with would kinda obviously get that I dont mean them by default like

please stop crying or I will as well

this is such a gay scene sometimes........

(waits for another intelligent maxi rant - ''well if its too fucking gay you cunt then fuck off somewhere less gay - you cunt - leave our gay scene alone!!!'')

ill probably enrage the local anti homophobia lobby now.....oooooooh shit!

but some of my best mates are adorable fags so it ok! its only a word! :love:

and yeah' date=' id like to know how to get the masses out to more underground gigs too...! what is the magic formula?! :swearing::rolleyes:[/quote']

you need to enlist the local press maybe

in other towns what I hang out in, they have the centre pages of the local press dedicated to the respecrtive local scenes, every saturday (or friday in 1 case)....in detail, reveiws, news, interviews, gig listings the lot. Unlike the Eve Express which has token wee local music column that hardly says to anyone ''come and see whats really going on'' and then some random irrelevent shite about retarded cover band stuff and trad folky bollocks*

*thats what most people think is going on unless someone points out theres more

its prob been tried and failed I know, but you asked and Im genuinely trying to be helpful

yeah you're right...IF ONLY we had a local press who were behind what we all do, and who would help to intrigue joe public into whats actually goin on in these wee dingy rock holes around town!! :rolleyes: and not just cover the big shows/artists/stars who really dont need any coverage...!

they are coming round a wee bit though...with Interesting Music Promotions getting some in depth articles/interviews on some of their upcoming artists...

the journals need to employ someone, like an avid gig goer/music fan to help change things.....dont ya think?!

yeah you're right...IF ONLY we had a local press who were behind what we all do' date=' and who would help to intrigue joe public into whats actually goin on in these wee dingy rock holes around town!! :rolleyes: and not just cover the big shows/artists/stars who really dont need any coverage...!

they are coming round a wee bit though...with Interesting Music Promotions getting some in depth articles/interviews on some of their upcoming artists...

the journals need to employ someone, like an avid gig goer/music fan to help change things.....dont ya think?![/quote']

fingers firmly crossed

& yes you are right whats the point of giving acres of space previewing an upcoming show thats already sold out

i just checked back to see if I said anything rude or deflamatory about promoters

i soooooo didnt

and I think the Drakes posse know I dont think they are ''shite promoters who should fuck off'' since in me non punter mode (when I play in a band) Im always dead pleased to work with em

didnt think that bit would need explaining but there you go

the scenes No.1 shit stirrer and corporate sponsor of this massage bored maybe got you all wound up with his usual twisted mis-quotes and gigantic exaggerations when it comes to his most hated band! x x x

cheers :cheers: up yer bum etc

Never once entered my mind that you were referring to the us lot... Especially regards to the 'shite promoters fuck off' bit. Now I'm confused coz I'm quoting you quoting me refering to you speaking about the "scene". I ain't getting into it again as I am now boring myself...

Jim :D

the journals need to employ someone' date=' like an avid gig goer/music fan to help change things.....dont ya think?![/quote']

what seems to work elsewhere is like the promoters all have their own wee columns each week that talk about their new promotions and include basically anything they wanna feature (reveiws, preveiws,interveiws etc) and they are all shoved onto a two page spread, and theres an editorial by a staff writer, and a comprehensive gig guide

hopefully someone will steal this idea and persuade the EE to do it!

what seems to work elsewhere is like the promoters all have their own wee columns each week that talk about their new promotions and include basically anything they wanna feature (reveiws' date=' preveiws,interveiws etc) and they are all shoved onto a two page spread, and theres an editorial by a staff writer, and a comprehensive gig guide

hopefully someone will steal this idea and persuade the EE to do it![/quote']

We have been trying to get the EE to engage with the local creative music and art scene for a great deal of time... No go so far or not as good as it could be. Believe me, there will be nothing that is suggested that hasn't already been talked about and tried... Gotta keep pushing though..

J

:up:

What about free pies at gigs, at least Charlie Allan would go along. Aberdeen Journal would cover gigs if

a) they were at Liquid, and were renamed, hmm lets call them 'Love Child' or somesuch

b) they could combine it with pictures of pished office workers on a night out

c) both of the above

get better Aberdeen coverage in the Guardian

What about free pies at gigs' date=' at least Charlie Allan would go along. Aberdeen Journal would cover gigs if

a) they were at Liquid, and were renamed, hmm lets call them 'Love Child' or somesuch

b) they could combine it with pictures of pished office workers on a night out

c) both of the above

get better Aberdeen coverage in the Guardian[/quote']

Love it!!!

The battle to get the local press interested in the cultural underbelly of Aberdeen has been on going since... forever! Most we can hope for is like a wee quarter column filler on page 11. Unless Barbara Dickson or an ABBA ,any, tribute act are in town because they are all about creative expression eh?! They are (the press) improving though. Give it another 20 years...

Jim

Love it!!!

The battle to get the local press interested in the cultural underbelly of Aberdeen has been on going since... forever! Most we can hope for is like a wee quarter column filler on page 11. Unless Barbara Dickson or an ABBA ' date='any, tribute act are in town because they are all about creative expression eh?! They are (the press) improving though. Give it another 20 years...

Jim[/quote']

just dont get me started on the Bridge of Don social demograph theory

......but by just wiping out bridge of don and its coldplay loving asti spemanti drinking, snappy tomatoe pizza eating inhabitants, its a fact that quality of culture in the deen will increase by approx 141% in one year, exponentially increasing every year thereafter

Guest Zeenat Aman
just dont get me started on the Bridge of Don social demograph theory

......but by just wiping out bridge of don and its coldplay loving asti spemanti drinking' date=' snappy tomatoe pizza eating inhabitants, its a fact that quality of culture in the deen will increase by approx 141% in one year, exponentially increasing every year thereafter[/quote']

Interestingly, Aberdeen College's music department is in BOD as well.