aberdeen-music

How good (or bad) was Triptych???

betamax

Wierdest night was saturday when Akufen totally blew me away with a fantastic mix up set and then Hot Chip made me laugh with the most awful and wanky Devo impression Ive ever seen (fucked off to Snafu at that point)

Highlight was Kano last wednesday at the Melon Tree

Biggest surprise was The Earlies on Friday (I was bullied into going expecting some alt country bollocks) but quite liked it!

Overall I thought it was fantastic, and kinda proves that there are lotsa people in the deen who will go to underground gigs en mass if the promoters got their shit together

playing safe with a thousand kiddie emo shit bands, pub rock and relentless tribute acts has made going to gigs very hazardous and has put a lot of people off

Triptych should be on all the time :love:

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Warriors ft Tes on soundtrack duties

3.5/5

The Fall et al

- a great Fall performance, but for real fans rather than observers... 3.5/5 - however a DJ was needed on the night to keep the comb-overs happy

Optimo, Hotchip & Akufen

- suprisingly good. 4/5 Bargain for 5 squid 50

Optimo set - post punk funk pysch that was a wee bit flat

ESG album played by sound desk

Optimo set 2 - techno set played

Hot Chip - great camptronica from Devo meets Kraftwerk fun pop

Akufen - great house / techno gubbins set

I left at 2 am but Akufen seemed to be in full flow then. Did Optimo come back on?

Overall I had a great TripTych,

Dave

The Warriors ft Tes on soundtrack duties

3.5/5

The Fall et al

- a great Fall performance' date=' but for real fans rather than observers... 3.5/5 - however a DJ was needed on the night to keep the comb-overs happy

[b']Optimo, Hotchip & Akufen

- suprisingly good. 4/5 Bargain for 5 squid 50

Optimo set - post punk funk pysch that was a wee bit flat

ESG album played by sound desk

Optimo set 2 - techno set played

Hot Chip - great camptronica from Devo meets Kraftwerk fun pop

Akufen - great house / techno gubbins set

I left at 2 am but Akufen seemed to be in full flow then. Did Optimo come back on?

Overall I had a great TripTych,

Dave

Id forgot about the ESG album - twas immense > IS A NEW ONE????? Badly wanted to go to Glasgow on sunday to see em but stayed in toon and went to Snafu for AKA the Fox and some gentle sunday night recovery drinking

dunno if optimo did a third set cos I probably left not much later, the stuff I heard was ace

I just didnt get hot chip though.....the idea was ok as prescription geek electro, but it seemed soooooo badly executed (like thay sang out of tune a lot and like how many synths do you need to make a few preset style bleeps?) to the point where I had to escape for a bit or inevitably start extreme heckling!

Id forgot about the ESG album - twas immense > IS A NEW ONE????? Badly wanted to go to Glasgow on sunday to see em but stayed in toon and went to Snafu for AKA the Fox and some gentle sunday night recovery drinking

dunno if optimo did a third set cos I probably left not much later' date=' the stuff I heard was ace

I just didnt get hot chip though.....the idea was ok as prescription geek electro, but it seemed soooooo badly executed (like thay sang out of tune a lot and like how many synths do you need to make a few preset style bleeps?) to the point where I had to escape for a bit or inevitably start extreme heckling![/quote']

Hop Chip were twee and it was nice to see two microphones being used by one singer - has he been getting lessons from Mark E Smith?

Wierdest night was saturday when Akufen totally blew me away with a fantastic mix up set and then Hot Chip made me laugh with the most awful and wanky Devo impression Ive ever seen (fucked off to Snafu at that point)

Highlight was Kano last wednesday at the Melon Tree

Biggest surprise was The Earlies on Friday (I was bullied into going expecting some alt country bollocks) but quite liked it!

Overall I thought it was fantastic' date=' and kinda proves that there are lotsa people in the deen who will go to underground gigs en mass if the promoters got their shit together

playing safe with a thousand kiddie emo shit bands, pub rock and relentless tribute acts has made going to gigs very hazardous and has put a lot of people off

Triptych should be on all the time :love:[/quote']

yeah kano were great,really tight,was really ace to see roots with a full band as well.was REALLY drunk that night,remember dreamy days being ace though.the crowd were good too.

I thought Optimo was awesome. How come there was only one of them there? rumour has the other was in Dundee on Saturday night playing a set. I didn't see their opening set but by the sound of it it wasn't that good.

Hot Chip had one or two decent tunes but the guy with the guitar was a total waste of time, the whole Devo-impersonation didn't work, mostly because they were wearing baseball shirts and naff sportswear.

Akufen was quality, loved the stuff he played. Excellant nite, bargain for 5.50!

Cheers,

Mike

Going to gigs!

[quote name=

Overall I thought it was fantastic' date=' and kinda proves that there are lotsa people in the deen who will go to underground gigs en mass if the promoters got their shit together

/QUOTE]

Aye if you stick a big red T on the tickets and posters and charge 15 a pop! Corporate sponsorship allows the money to be spent on these acts!!! No one there at T risking at least 25-35% of a weekly income on something that may fail!!! Just a wee point and a flag wave for local independent promoters! Not a dig at anyone unless you stay in your house and never go to gigs and then moan about things!

:D

(don't ye hate it when the quote thing gets all out of sinc and you can't be arsed to fix it, I'm sure you get my drift)

this is posted elewhere

FEEDBACK to Triptych I believe that there are public events in Glasgow & Edinburgh

as usual Aberdeen is left out. Can somebody arrange a meeting for interested parties in Aberdeen? (no not me, i'm too busy) I would attend tho' From that meeting a concensus view can be sent to TRIPTYCH, so that improvements can be made.

I have two ideas that need discussing, that concern me.

Anybody agree?

[quote=

Overall I thought it was fantastic' date= and kinda proves that there are lotsa people in the deen who will go to underground gigs en mass if the promoters got their shit together

/QUOTE]

Aye if you stick a big red T on the tickets and posters and charge 15 a pop! Co-oprorate sponsorship allows the money to be spent on these acts!!! No one there at T risking at least 25-35% of a weekly income on something that may fail!!! Just a wee point and a flag wave for local independent promoters! Not a dig at anyone unless you stay in your house and never go to gigs and then moan about things!

:D

(don't ye hate it when the quote thing gets all out of sinc and you can't be arsed to fix it, I'm sure you get my drift)

i just think its waaay simpler than that

for some reason, most of the year no one puts on decent bands (or the type of bands me and a lot of others <the general public> wanna see) and then the organisers of triptych suddenly do

its like waiting for a fucking bus

i just think its waaay simpler than that

for some reason' date=' most of the year no one puts on decent bands (or the type of bands me and a lot of others <the general public> wanna see) and then the organisers of triptych suddenly do

its like waiting for a fucking bus[/quote']

Stop waiting and buy your own fucking bus!!!! Put the hours and hours of research, chasing and negotiating in yourself and get the bands up here 'you' and the 'aherm' general public, want to see! That simple! If you don't like what the local promoters do, do it yourself. You kinda need to to go to gigs lots to know what is actualy going on though! Sorry... It just annoys me when folk think that it is all so easy and always done better by down south types... Who, again, have a massive fucking budget for these events! Give any (most) local promoters a small percentage of what is spent by the big guys and you may be very pleasantly surprised. But you would probably miss it because it was a local promotion...

Jim

Stop waiting and buy your own fucking bus!!!! Put the hours and hours of research' date=' chasing and negotiating in yourself and get the bands up here 'you' and the 'aherm' general public, want to see! That simple! If you don't like what the local promoters do, do it yourself. You kinda need to to go to gigs lots to know what is actualy going on though! Sorry... It just annoys me when folk think that it is all so easy and always done better by down south types... Who, again, have a massive fucking budget for these events! Give any (most) local promoters a small percentage of what is spent by the big guys and you may be very pleasantly surprised. But you would probably miss it because it was a local promotion...

Jim[/quote']

I dont wanna be a promoter, but surely Im still entitled to comment on their general bad taste and out of touch-ness when it occurs. Just like they comment on bands goodness or shitness.Theres local promoters I respect and theres ones I just think are a joke like anyone else. If I think Aberdeen needs a few more good ones, whats so annoying about that???

Opinions contravening the insular small town are not allowed ....i should know better!

Like who for example?

erm,

the Triptych gig list would be a starter

no emo/wankcore/scuzzfart/crustbollocks/peadometal/rawk

just interesting bands that people will get off their asses to go and see

I think this might turn into another classic ''the real public matters more the scene'' debate

yawn

for some reason' date=' most of the year no one puts on decent bands (or the type of bands me and a lot of others <the general public> wanna see) and then the organisers of triptych suddenly do

[/quote']

come on then, lets see your list of decent bands, that you & lots of of others wanna see?