aberdeen-music

Idlewild at Music Hall

Guest stuartmaxwell

you are always going to get opportunist fans at gigs for bands that size. these people are those who are paying the bands salary

years of loyal fans buying everything in every format does not ensure that the bands get paid,it doesnt even begin to cover costs/loans etc.

opporunist music fans keep bands like idlewild playing music. if they didnt go to the shows/like one or two singles the band prob may have split, or fucked off to do other stuff

still, the new album is pathetic. i dont care if they have changed direction, its still shite. in remote part is one of the best songs they have done and the new stuff is a poorer version of it.

dont get me wrong i used to be a massive idlewild fan, must have seen them 15+ times, have most stuff by them, i own a captain t shirt etc. but they are crap at doing folkpop

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what I really want to know is why crowds in the music hall insist on singing football chants?

"aberdeen, aberdeen, aberdeeeeeeen"

oh of course, I almost forgot for a minute. thought I was in belgium. cunts.

and if I was in a band trying to decide if I was going out for an encore a rousing chorus of "stand free" would not persuade me.

why does it have to be related tto the band?

They can chant whatever they want as long as its not abusive. It did seem silly chanting football songs at a gig especially when they are saying "we don't give a fuck whoever you may be" but what can you do about it?

That aside' date=' it was a fucking brilliant gig. They played just about every stand out song from their albums - if they'd played I Am (What I Am Not) and Actually It's Darkness as well, I think it would have been the perfect set list.

Set list, nicked from the Idlewild forum:

1. Too Long Awake

2. Little Discourage

3. A Modern Way Of Letting Go

4. Welcome Home

5. Love Steals Us From Loneliness

6. These Wooden Ideas

7. I Understand It

8. You Held The World In Your Arms

9. El Capitan

10. American English

11. The Space Between All Things

12. Live In A Hiding Place

13. Blame It On Obvious Ways

14. The Bronze Medal

15. When I Argue I See Shapes

16. Roseability

17. Goodnight

-------------------

18. Listen To What You've Got

19. I'm A Message

20. A Film For The Future[/quote']

No 'Paint Nothing'?

Rubbiss. :p

It actually looks a decent setlist but in a way I'm glad I missed out on a ticket as a)Obedience School was blinding and b)I always do that thing where I listen to 'Hope Is Important' loads before going and then come away mildly disappointed at certain songs missing that they were never going to play anyways ;)

Also shouldn't this be in the feedback forum? You'll all lose your requesting rights when Dave sees this...

I thought idlewild rocked, so much better than i expected. Sons & daughters were ace too, definatly going to see them at Lemon tree. Fox face were...well....the drummer was talented at least, just disappointed he never played the spoons in any of the songs, that would have made my night!!!!

Seen Idlewild play a few times now - just get better and better. Quite likin Sons and Daughters - saw video for new song on MTV2 couple o weeks ago. Brilliant gig tho, even tho I got ill halfway through Idlewild - not too good wi standin in big crowds o people :(

i don't think i've felt such a combination of happiness' date=' sadness and exitement dyuring a gig ever. except feeder a couple of years ago.

[/quote']

I hope you mean that at Feeder you were happy that the gig was finishing, sad that you had ever turned up and really excited about the tedious bus journey home?

FoxFace were a bit wayward but weren't that bad either.

Sons And Daughters were really good.Bought the album after the gig and got it signed too.They are really nice people who aren't afraid to chat to you for a while.

Idlewild was ace! The big instrumental part ended up dragging on after a while.Wasn't so sure about the encore apart from the last song.I can't believe that nobody has mentioned how good roddy is at interacting with the crowd.I hate bands that play a set and leave the stage.After two songs he had everyone laughing.Genius!

I can't believe that nobody has mentioned how good roddy is at interacting with the crowd.I hate bands that play a set and leave the stage.After two songs he had everyone laughing.Genius!

He's no Morrissey, but yeah, he had some decent banter.

I liked his comment about mobiles being the new lighters at gigs. I've been thinking that for a while too. It's so true!

I hope you mean that at Feeder you were happy that the gig was finishing' date=' sad that you had ever turned up and really excited about the tedious bus journey home?[/quote']

*SIGH*!!! to be fair, feeder's new album is the most

boring

thing

ever.

but you can't go wrong with a bit of old feeder.

you're cool; i'll let you off

Which one of you guys is Malcolm? I'm sorry for freaking you out by walking up to you and like giving you the phone so you could speak to Stephen but he told me to do it.

It is me. It's ok, his jumper was nowhere near in the same league, though. :gringo:

haha that was sooo funny i was jsut in front of stephen and seen you(whoever you are) running about giving the phone to some guy.

haha excellent :D stephen was insulting my scarf, it upset me :( but then some hot guy on belmont street after the gig told me he liked my scarf, so it made up for the whole thing

saw idlewild at the barrowlands last night and it was FU-CKING A-MA-ZING!!!!!! best ive ever seen them play!

shame you guys didnt get the ramones cover in the encore, it sounded quality! i never would have thought that that would work but the vocals were awesome and it sounded ace, just a quality quality song with an idlewild-y twist!

roddy's changed a lot as a front man, i remember when we saw them at the lemon tree and he was really unresponsive and just looked like he was off his face on drugs! hes developed so much and really makes the audience feel part of what is going on. the direction theyre taking the music now is certainly very very different to the old stuff, but they still got their charm.

really really renewed my love for idlewild, one of my best gigs this year!

I envy you all. I should have been there but was stuck in hospital with two drips in my arm, :puke: vomitting every 15 minutes, struggling to breathe, with a severely raised heart rate, hallucinating and to top it all off i couldn't even sleep cos i was getting blood tests every hour. So i don't wanna pricks like Maxi complaining about the new songs being crap (especially since they are better!) :)