aberdeen-music

Bikini Atol + Picastro + Copy Haho - Sat 14th May 05

really really looking forward to seeing Bikini Atoll again...and Picastro sound lovely from their demo...:up:

as its just about to be released here's the 1st review of Metal Cares

vis drownedinsound

Picastro

Metal Cares

[Polyvinyl' date= post: 0&quot]

Rating: 7.5

Often folk acts are as meek and delicate in person as their music would suggest, and Toronto four-piece Picastro are no exception. After L.A.-based Pehr Records released their 2002 debut, Red Your Blues, Picastro inexplicably left the label. Refusing to step on any toes, the band remained tight-lipped about the affair despite claiming how awful the experience was. Singer/guitarist Elizabeth Hysen immaculately personifies this innocuous, victimized pathos, suffering from hyperaesthesia-- a sensory condition in which victims suffer from increased sensitivity to stimuli (think Daredevil). Appropriately, Metal Cares exudes a sound seemingly tormented by sleep-deprivation, pain, and-- most pressingly-- fear. Hysen's vocals are much more prominent in the mix than on Red Your Blues, allowing her every grief-stricken crack and murmur to resonate above the equally tortured instrument parts. The track list serves as a peek into Hysen's neuroticism with titles like "I Can't Fall Asleep", "Teeth and No Eyes", and "Sharks", named after one of Hysen's foremost phobias. However, Hysen, a straightforward, no gimmicks songwriter, keeps the lyrics short and cryptic, not to mention unintelligible. On the chorus of "Dramaman", Hysen wails indecipherably amidst shrieking strings, while the ballad "Sharks" builds to a muffled chant sounding like "bigger hunter, hello hunter". Good luck trying to decode "Ah Nyeh Nyeh." With her garbled drawl, Hysen could pass for a German laptop pop artist, though her bandmates' instrumental workings borrow the most from that genre. Rather than adopting the punchy, infectious folk-pop of past tourmates Cat Power or Smog, Picastro are content with allowing their songs to methodically unfold. Opener "No Contest" patiently unfurls on a cyclical acoustic riff for two minutes before finally revealing the song's subtle yet gorgeous refrain. Despite this asceticism, the album still contains several beautiful, striking moments between the gossamer acoustic strumming and haunting strings. Hysen's hushed, sparing vocals leave a lot of open space between verses, but she's hardly twiddling her thumbs during that time. For all the allure Hysen's voice generates, her acoustic/electric interplay with guitarist Zak Hanna is the true glue that holds the LP together. "I Can't Fall Asleep" builds to a jarring chorus that features Hanna's reverb-drenched electric against Hysen's dissonant, ringing acoustic. Closer "Blonde Fires" puts a warmer, more inviting spin on this interplay, allowing the guitars to intermittently carry the lead melody. It's a sound caught between Elliott Smith and Godspeed You! Black Emperor, balancing pretty acoustic melodies with chillingly shrill clangs and screeches. But hey, that's the unapologetic, enigmatic Hysen for ya; for all we know, part of her probably wants to be "Miss Misery", but the other half simply can't stop freaking out over sharks.

-Adam Moerder, May 9, 2005

frm a message board

Bikini Atoll tonight! In London! Cor!

Posted by bnk_ on 8th May, 22:16 | Reply to this post

I saw this band yesterday togheter with Picastro, and it was realy good. This is the second time I've seen them, the first time was when they supported Explosions and I wasn't to impressed. But playing together with Picastro they made so much more sense.

Guest idol_wild

Good gig, good gig.

Copy_haho's sound was a bit skewed, but good nonetheless.

They're no Chameleons, however. ;-)

Picastro need to stop listening to Nick Cave. They were good in spells, but sinister pop music can only go so far before making one feel uneasy and dubious.

Bikini Atoll worked the crowd. The crowd lapped them up.

For many years I wondered who they were, having trawled through mail order record catalogues looking for Bikini Kill records.

Now I know.

sinister pop music can only go so far before making one feel uneasy and dubious.

.. and what's wrong with that 8o ?

UPDATE: What I meant by that was - and this is just a general observation rather than having a dig at your viewpoint -isn't it interesting to have something challenging to listen to that makes you feel "uneasy and dubious" rather than safe, cosy, and complacent?

I thought Bikini Atoll were great and energetic and conveyed real emotion and enjoyment of the music, the local boys Copy_haho done good, but Picastro had something particularly special and fragile. Absolutely Beautiful. And you can quote me on that.

Cheers Mike, Jenny and co. A cracking show.

ive lived with the Picastro cd's for the last three months, their music is quite astonishingly

beautiful. I thought last night was another superb night & i thank all those in the audience whose open minded appreciation, really rubbed off on all the artists that played.

The touring artists were very very happy with Aberdeen & this really does help the cause

of programming artists that would not normally come to Aberdeen;

word is spreading.

cheers

mike

I really enjoyed the gig. The company was great for a start (!). Copy Haho are the best Aberdeen band I have seen yet. They have unpredictable melodies, which is great because they aren't self-indulgent as post rock songs can tend to be. They know how to finish songs off decisively.

Picastro were alright, very pretty sounding but rather subdued.

Bikin Atoll were not bad at all, although definitely playing for the crowd. But you can't blame them for that I suppose.

Overall the night was good, although as I'm sure other people noticed rather spoiled by a couple of base, abhorrent sluts who ruined my evening inside and outside of Exodus.

I really enjoyed the gig. The company was great for a start (!). Copy Haho are the best Aberdeen band I have seen yet. They have unpredictable melodies' date=' which is great because they aren't self-indulgent as post rock songs can tend to be. They know how to finish songs off decisively.

Picastro were alright, very pretty sounding but rather subdued.

Bikin Atoll were not bad at all, although definitely playing for the crowd. But you can't blame them for that I suppose.

Overall the night was good, although as I'm sure other people noticed rather spoiled by a couple of base, abhorrent sluts who ruined my evening inside and outside of Exodus.[/quote']

They spread easier than Bertolli.

Guest valley69
Balvack' date=' but Picastro had something particularly special and fragile. Absolutely Beautiful. And you can quote me on that.

[/quote']

I bloody will as well cos without a doubt picastro were the best band there by miles. Quality drumming that gave it so much depth and intense as hell. I loved it to bits!!!! Id say that the band are masters at making quiet into intense and merge a wall of beautiful yet haunting noise. Bikini were good and copy haho are a decent band as well. Picastro- oCh AYe! They WILL take you to another place.

I couldnt stop bobbing my head to Picastro, if anyone saw a bald dude rocking out at the front that wiz me...it was annoying as fuck when folk were talking during the set btw, not only for Picastro but for Bikini as well.

Guest stuartmaxwell

awesome night again

picastro were outstanding-cd is great too-soooo goood, BA were fab, i was lovignthe sound of the enw stuff- i await it on 12" and copy ah choo played a great set, def the best i have seen them.

kudos to interesting music, nae kudos to the fuckers (in the proper crowd) talking/laughing loudly through the set

cheers to all involved with the show, its great when hard work comes to life

It was a shame i couldnt have made this....

Has Albini got rid of what i think was Bikini Atols only downfall, muddyness?.....

I think they are great...but just too muddy sometimes...has it been overcome?

Copy_haho are one of my favourate bands...not just locally, but actually one of my favourates, not a big fan of picastro though....

It was a shame i couldnt have made this....

Has Albini got rid of what i think was Bikini Atols only downfall' date=' muddyness?.....

I think they are great...but just too muddy sometimes...has it been overcome?

Copy_haho are one of my favourate bands...not just locally, but actually one of my favourates, not a big fan of picastro though....[/quote']

The most noticable thing about Liars Exit is that Albini's production makes it sound

soo natural & clean, Gideon's songcraft come to the fore & the instrumentation

gell perfectly. If the reviews for this release are less than superb, i'll be amazed.

Of this music genre, there will be nothing better released this year.

The most noticable thing about Liars Exit is that Albini's production makes it sound soo natural & clean' date=' Gideon's songcraft come to the fore & the instrumentation

gell perfectly. If the reviews for this release are less than superb, i'll be amazed.

Of this music genre, there will be nothing better released this year.[/quote']

thanks, just registered to say really great night, I bought Liars Exits &The Picastro CD

WOW

will come again to these events of interesting music