aberdeen-music

Donovan in Findhorn!?

Marillionboy

Listening to Stuart Maconie's Critical List a while back I was amazed to discover the track I switched on during was actually by "that 60s bloke from Glasgow" Donovan Leitch.

Maconie went on to explain that he had always thought Donovan was a rather suspect artists until hearing From A Flower to a Garden, rock music's first double album boxed set, with an acoustic and an electric side. It is indeed a great summery record, Sun and Isle of Islay two of many highlights.

As a result of discovering the cooler side of the man,I notice he's touirng and playing Findhorn. Just thought I'd share this with anyone in the vicinity, he's not the artist I thought he was!

http://www.findhorn.org/content/uhall/index.php

Guest Zeenat Aman
So apart from Flower to a Garden what else is worth getting? Blimey Sun and Isle of Islay are SO good!

There is a litlle four CD box set consisting of: Sunshine Superman' date=' Mellow Yellow, Hurdy Gurdy Man and Barabajagal, from the era 1966 - 1969. These are re-issues of the original US lp's.

There were various contactual problems for Donovan at the time of their original release, some of the tracks didn't get released in the uk till later.

Those four plus, A Gift from a Flower to a Garden and Open Road are all essential Donovan listening in my opinion.

EDIT: I almost forgot about this gem!!! [url']http://tralfaz-archives.com/coverart/D/donovan_live.html

I like everything up to & including 'Cosmic Wheels', after which my interest waned. However the latest one, 'Beat Cafe' is a return to form.....I got it from the Central Library after reading very positive reviews, and wasn't disappointed.

Frosty...maybe Donovan had a couple of flings in Aberdeen during earlier tours, and Zeenat and I are the results?????

Guest stuartmaxwell
Wow... I had no idea he was touring in the 30's?...

:D

ha h aha :laughing:

also, if you take a look at the listings, you will see that trigger from only fools and horses is conducting the scottish chamber orchestra under the psuedoname of Ralf Kircher.

woop

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Zeenat Aman
Wish I could have made it! Did he play any oldies?

Yeah' date=' lots, maybe too many, his new stuff, played live, was easliy as good as any of his back catalogue.

No [i']Lord of the Reedy River, but got two of my favs, Isle of Islay and Wear Your Love Like Heaven. Infact a good number of songs from A Gift From A Flower to a Garden.

He seemed really happy, and in to it, as did the band. Rat Scabies playing jazz was rather odd.

He said hello when we arrived, but was on his way to eat, which is a pity as I wanted to ask him about Harold McNair.

:)

Guest Zeenat Aman
the chords to 'Lord of the Reedy river'!!!!

Ah' date=' I'm taking care of that ol' Cynical one. [i']The John Cameron Quartet: Off Centre keeps distracting me though. :love: