aberdeen-music

The General Election

Guest Zeenat Aman

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my seat , Aberdeenshire west & Kincardine, the lib dems increased their majority taking 46.3% of the vote, tories in second with 28.4%. So that was good.

The national picture was slightly dissapointing, i was hoping for labour's overall majority to be cut, but i'm unhappy the conservatives picked up so many seats, especially as their share of the vote remained the same. Although the lib dems did make some progress i felt that this election was a chance to make a big breakthrough, and it never really happened.

Guest stuartmaxwell

a spade is a spade

its ok, me and doc murray have kissed and made up, he is sending me a copy of maiden taiwan live at banchory town hall 2001 (bootleg)

In my seat ' date=' Aberdeenshire west & Kincardine, the lib dems increased their majority taking 46.3% of the vote, tories in second with 28.4%. So that was good.

The national picture was slightly dissapointing, i was hoping for labour's overall majority to be cut, but i'm unhappy the conservatives picked up so many seats, especially as their share of the vote remained the same. Although the lib dems did make some progress i felt that this election was a chance to make a big breakthrough, and it never really happened.[/quote']

I'd mostly agree with that. I think most people consider Labour to be doing a reasonable job, certainly better than the alternative, but they did need to be cut down to size a little. It's never healthy for a Government to have too big a majority, which is why we've seen certain policies being pushed through parliament that would have never got through otherwise. For example spending 500 Parliament hours debating fox-hunting, and 5 hours debating sending the country to war. (FROSTYFACT)

Speaking of Iraq, what do you think the majority would have been without that being an issue? It actually says a lot for the Tories that they were up against an incumbent Government that knowingly and illegally sent us into an unwanted War, but they still lost the election. Sure they'll be crowing about 'being back', but the only reason they fared this well is because of war protests, and our electoral system. The Lib Dems actually got 20 per cent of the vote, yet only get 10 per cent of the seats.(FROSTYFACT2)

I think the country has got what it wanted. A Labour Government returned, but with its wings clipped.

a spade is a spade

its ok' date=' me and doc murray have kissed and made up, he is sending me a copy of maiden taiwan live at banchory town hall 2001 (bootleg)[/quote']

The "live in Lumphanan" concert was way better, you should ask him for that one too :D

Anyway. I only have one problem with Labour, the War. If they spent that money on the NHS instead then perhaps people like my Grandpa wouldnt be coming out of hospital with MRSA.

I am upset.

So' date=' well done, you Lib-Dem voters in marginal Labour seats, I hope you're proud of yourselves. I voted Labour, as I always have done and always will.

[/quote']

How arrogant do you want to be?

I am a traditional labour voter, and though the last thing I wanted was a Tory MP or government, i couldn't bring myself to vote for a government that has as its Prime Minister, a lying, sycophantic wolf in sheep's clothing. I feel Tony Blair and his "team" (by that i don't mean cabinet, i mean the unelected team) are responsible for the death of David Kelly. Even though I was pretty certain conservatives wouldn't have a chance in Aberdeen South, I chose the Lib Dem vote at the risk of Labour losing a Scottish MP and one parliamentary seat.

My prerogative was to vote with my heart, because it is the only time the government has no choice but to sit up and listen. I'll be interested to see the influence and hopefully heightened awareness of the Electoral Reform Society's cause in the coming years, to provide a fairer and more representative political system. I think Lib Dems would have got a lot MORE votes if people weren't so afraid of Tories coming back to power.

You vote labour if you want to, but don't chide me for siding with a political party that symbolises what I care for (no tuition fees, local income tax, narrowing the chasm between rich and poor). As far as I'm concerned, Labour and Lib Dems have almost switched places in the political spectrum; Labour to me is not a common ally against the tories, they are complicit with them and act more and more like them everyday, even if they talk otherwise.

Results in scotland

Party Seats Gain Loss Net Votes % +/-%

Labour 41 0 5 -5 912,701 39.8 -4.6

Lib Dem 10 2 0 +2 512,290 22.4 +6.4

SNP 6 2 0 +2 405,551 17.7 -2.4

Conservative 1 1 0 +1 359,238 15.7 +0.3

Scottish Soc 0 0 0 0 42,633 1.9 -1.2

Just wandering what some peopel thought of this, in particular the vocal snp and ssp supporters there seems to be around here. Should the SNP jsut be happy to pick up two seats or should they be more concerned with a fall in their share of the vote and slipping to third on the share of the vote. Also the SSP share of hte vote fell as well, this doesn't really bode well for the next scottish parlimentairy elections.

Guest tv tanned

From an SNP perspective it was a mixed bag. Clearly our targeting worked as we picked up two of our three target seats. Although our results in some places were very poor. This was not a 'national' campaign as 2007 will be, and I think 2007 will be different as the Lib Dems won't be able to play their opposition card as part of the governing coalition.

All in all some good some bad, time to build for 2007.