aberdeen-music

Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy

Chris

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw it and really liked it, i'd only seens bits of the tv show before. My friend who i was with ahs read the books and seen the tv series and thought it was great and possibly preffered it. I find it funny that people have similar criticisms of this as i have heard poeple say of the tv show who thought that that was a major let down compared to the radio series and books.

Just back from seeing it tonight and i wasnt overly impressed, Zaphod did not have the cool vibe he was meant to have, instead he was too manic, Ford was redundant, Arthur was good and Trillian was good but the whole romantic subplot annoyed me. Marvin was pretty good and good to see Douglas Adam's cameo. The Heart of Gold was meant to be a sleek starship not a rounded ball and I'd be interested how much of the script Adams wrote. On the whole I felt the TV series captured more of the vibe from the radio show and books, it was almost like they were trying too hard. I actually hope they dont make a sequel.

Now a Splad Jelly film would rock :) they should do that...

Cheers

Stuart

At what point was Adam's cameo and more to the point how was it done when he died before the film was even finalised?

Theres a lot of references and semi cameo's by Douglas Adams, but the last thing you see in the movie is Douglas Adams ghostly face, there's also a planet shaped like him in Magarathea, an image of him in the mural that oh yeah and for those that don't know the exterior of Humma Kavulas temple is modelled on Douglas Adams nose - strange but true. There's also an image of him on the graphic around the infintie improbability drive, I've also heard that both him and his daughter are in cameo's as people running off in the panic scene (computer done in his case) and his voice taken from an earlier recording are also heard through the film. The cameo of the original Arthur Dent was also a nice touch.

Cheers

Stuart

Theres a lot of references and semi cameo's by Douglas Adams' date=' but the last thing you see in the movie is Douglas Adams ghostly face, there's also a planet shaped like him in Magarathea, an image of him in the mural that oh yeah and for those that don't know the exterior of Humma Kavulas temple is modelled on Douglas Adams nose - strange but true. There's also an image of him on the graphic around the infintie improbability drive, I've also heard that both him and his daughter are in cameo's as people running off in the panic scene (computer done in his case) and his voice taken from an earlier recording are also heard through the film. The cameo of the original Arthur Dent was also a nice touch.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

Fair enough, guess i was enjoying the film too much to sopt them, knew about the nose thing, most his family had parts as extras. Incidently if you want to find out how much of the script was Douglas' check out http://www.h2g2movie.com/pages/extras.html it has interviews with the directors and Robbie Stamp who was a close friend of Douglas and an executive director.

Have to say I loved it. I did go with 3 mates who hadn't read the book or seen the TV series so were getting it from a totally new perpective with that. I suggest that, like going with kids to see Star Wars.

I didn't like Rickmans voice at the start, but then as it grew it just started to fit more and more, then the last half hour I just decided it was perfect. Stephen Fry was absolutely perfect as the book, made for the part. Martin Freeman was ok, but then he wasn't really playing a part that he hasn't played before.

I'm still in love with Zooey Deschanel. Have been since Almsot Famous and this only confirms that her eyes are amazing!

I did find it quite amusing that one of my friends who slags off my musical tastes was going on about how great the epic theme tune was and is continually slagging off the banal music he says I listen to, after slagging off my middle of the road musical tastes I took great pleasure in mentioning that the theme tune was in fact an Eagles tune and he was amazed. For anyone interested it's called 'Journey of the Sorceror' and is on 1975's 'One of these nights' album... complete class.

Cheers

Stuart

i thought it was pretty darn good and i read the series every year and enjoyed the tv show. i think the two head thing worked particularly well and was much better than a shit bit of papier mache stuck on beside his normal head. agreed mos def could've been more involved but i thought he did pretty well as ford. my main complaint is that the ending kinda sucked and they shoulda played down the love stuff a bit and made it more subtle. zooey deschanwell is cute as hell and was v good as trillian. martin freeman was perfect as arthur. sam rockwell was great as zaphod too, captured the playfull dangerousness of the guy pretty well, though the character in the book isn't as dumb as he looks.

the set design was awesome and the bit with the wool was absolutely amazing.

funniest bit was the start. it made me laugh lots. :D

I went to see it with my other half and our 4 year old. It was a total pile of shite.

They've even managed to spoil the guide itself which was a hundred times cooler in the TV series.

If it didn't make a 4 year old or 2 adults laugh then who does find this film funny?

The papers were right in giving this film just 2 stars. Over generous if you ask me.

Did anyone else hear that it made 4.2 million on the first weekend in the UK and 21 million in the US? Spooksome if you multiply the first by 10 and the second by 2.

Or of course it could just be bullshit.

or move the dot in the first :rolleyes:

or if you want to be pedantic, you could refer to it as forty two hundred thousand

i also noticed a month ago i have locker 42 at work... its only taken me about 9 orsomething months to notice that...

i saw the film on the previews, and loved it, i was very happy they went off on a different story, there were a few bits missing (like the bit lieing onfront of the digger, they missed out the classy logic about going down to the pub) that i liked from the book/tv series, and i have read the books enough that it was very cool that the story was different, though still very obviously douglas adams. i wasnt sure how much of the origonal story they would be able to do in the film, they managed a decent enough part in the tv shows, but that was over 6 episodes, not a film. changin the story fixed that

i wasnt too keen on the way they did Zaphods extra head/arm, but i did wander before how they would manage that and make it look good (without having to cgi him completely or whatever) so it was a pretty good compromise. and i was pretty happy with the love story, every film seems to need some sort of love story according to the writers, so at least it was small and believable.

there are a lot of small facts you will notice and that can improve the story and location slightly if you have read the books, but arent too big a loss if you havent, things like a bit more about magrathea, which can improve the story slightly if you know more about them, (the same can be said for any book -> film though)

plus it had a most mighty credit sequence at the start, a most classy and amusing song :D though people were wandering what i was on about when i was singing it the next day...

i wished they would have had more of the guide entries at the end though, they had one halfway through the credits (about the races who go to war when arthurs words get taken through a wormhole...) which was excellent, and a few more would have been even better, but thats just a small petty criticism

a lot of people wont be completely happy with the characters, and how they wont match what they thought of when they read the books, but i though they did an excellent job

there were a few unfinished stories at the end (well one i can think of now), as zaphod didnt get his brain back, i am not sure if i want them to attempt a sequel though (especially since i dont think douglas adams intended there to be one)

David