aberdeen-music

Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy

Chris

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from what i hear it doesn't really matter whether you read the book first or see the film, its not as if this is a typical book to film thing, the radio series, books, tv series and this film are all jsut different interpretations of a story. I believe that there are always big inconsistencies between the different interpretations.

Hmm, some of the feel of te book was there, but certain liberties have been taken with plotlines. Arthur & Ford v good,as for Zaphod, the guy on the TV series was funnier. Look out for the original Marvin in a cameo appearance. Come to think of it the original Marvin voice was better too, oh well. Star Wars soon.

but certain liberties have been taken with plotlines.

They're not liberties. The plot of the film is the plot Douglas Adams wrote for the film.

It's quite simple, if you go into the film expecting the detail, subtlety and the whole story of 5 books crammed into 2 hours of screen time then you're going to be disappointed. If you go in and relax, forget what the details of the previous versions but remember the spirit then you'll enjoy it.

I can't make up my mind if I liked it or not. I've been reading the series since I was about 7 so it was never going to be perfect.

Martin Freeman was good, very sweet and (mostly) harmless - arf arf arf! Ahem. Wasn't convinced by Sam Rockwell purely because the extra head is supposed to be on his shoulder and he was too loud and american.

And on the topic of extra heads...what was the little head subplot for, it served *no* purpose whatsoever.

All the subtlies had gone, I know Adams wrote the screen play but it just lacked the wit of the previous versions.

I thought it was good, marvin stole the film. Ford was a let down he's supposed to be helping Arthur with the whole being in outer space but hardly has anything to do. Bit disappointed they went with Arthur and Trillian getting together. The Zaphoid bugged me cause even before seeing the tv series i had pictured him with the second head on his shoulders and third arm under one of his normal ones. The sub story lines about the head and trillian being fed to the bug blatter beast were good ways of continuing the whole contradiction theme.

Oh and Bill Baily was superb as the whale.