aberdeen-music

Top 3 Bassists

Inkster

there's a reason people don't mention steve harris - it's because he isn't good. the only reason he keeps the pace he does - which isn't all that quick comparitively - is because all his gear is set up to max output so he can barley touch strings and still get sounds - bass techs accross the land will testify to this after blowing up their speakers by soundchecking his basses and playing in a normal fashion

• 2 weeks later...
there's a reason people don't mention steve harris - it's because he isn't good. the only reason he keeps the pace he does - which isn't all that quick comparitively - is because all his gear is set up to max output so he can barley touch strings and still get sounds - bass techs accross the land will testify to this after blowing up their speakers by soundchecking his basses and playing in a normal fashion

Sorry, did a bull just shit somewhere round here?

The Phantom of the Opera bassline pwns ur m0m... He is my favourite bassist by a long way... no-one plays like him. Oh, tell you what, I'll just turn everything up and I'll be just like Steve Harris... oh no, you twat, it's about HOW YOU PLAY not how you set up your equipment...

1. Chris Wolstenholme (sp?) from Muse is totally underrated; on loads of songs he's carrying the rhythm and melody while Matt Bellamy sings.

2. John Entwistle is a god. Full stop.

3. Colin Greenwood's not very "up front" in the band, but some of his bits (Exit Music springs to mind) is brilliant.

Carlos Dengler is definitely a close runner up.

victorwooten.jpg

Victor Wooten: Heard 'Classical thump' about a hundred times, it's still one of the coolest -technical - pieces i've heard.

ae.living.picB.jpg

Scott Owen: The daddy of chase bass, totally unique style, knows how to travel round the whole neck, amazing to watch live.

RBF04.jpg

Matt Wong: Ultra-modest bassist, never heard a Reel Big Fish song with a poor bassline.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have probably been most influenced by

Steve Harris

Billy Sheehan

Cliff Burton

but it's all a matter of taste. I wouldn't nescessarily say they are the best bassists.

Steve Harris made me pick up bass instead of guitar, with that 'clickety clickety' driving sound of his. Cliff Burton was immense, and not just for "Orion" or "Call Of Ktulu". His line on "Master Of Puppets" is one of my all time faves. As for Billy, well, he rocks, shame about "To Be With You" though....

Jaco Pastorius, Stu Hamm, John Patitucci, Victor Wooten, Les Claypool, Flea, Paul McCartney, Larry Graham, Bootsy Collins, James Jamerson, John Paul Jones, Jack Bruce, Duff McKagan, Billy Gould, Mike Watt, Colin Hodgkinson, Robert Trujillo, David Ellefson and many many more all rock like buggery.

No, wait, not like buggery, erm......

I'm just surprised nobody has mentioned Geddy Lee yet......

Guest Gregor Ascension
I have probably been most influenced by

Steve Harris

Billy Sheehan

Cliff Burton

but it's all a matter of taste. I wouldn't nescessarily say they are the best bassists.

Steve Harris made me pick up bass instead of guitar' date=' with that 'clickety clickety' driving sound of his. Cliff Burton was immense, and not just for "Orion" or "Call Of Ktulu". His line on "Master Of Puppets" is one of my all time faves. As for Billy, well, he rocks, shame about "To Be With You" though....

Jaco Pastorius, Stu Hamm, John Patitucci, Victor Wooten, Les Claypool, Flea, Paul McCartney, Larry Graham, Bootsy Collins, James Jamerson, John Paul Jones, Jack Bruce, Duff McKagan, Billy Gould, Mike Watt, Colin Hodgkinson, Robert Trujillo, David Ellefson and many many more all rock like buggery.

No, wait, not like buggery, erm......

I'm just surprised nobody has mentioned Geddy Lee yet......[/quote']

yep, billy sheehan is amazing.