aberdeen-music

Top 3 Bassists

Inkster

There's no "H" in Entwistle (at least, that's what the coroner said...)

*ahem*

My top three would be;

Willie Dixon

Tina Weymouth (Talking Heads/Tom Tom Club)

Rick Danko (The Band)

One remains from previous post:

Willie Dixon

Carol Kaye

John Cale

I would revise mine to:

Jah Wobble (PiL and solo)

Andy Rourke (The Smiths)

Les Pattinson (Echo and the Bunnymen)

The 80s were the best for bass playing in my opinion cos rythm was a bigger concern for indie/rock bands.

Edit: I have to add Peter Hook back in the Joy Division days cos he looked immensely cool, and even now him stomping about with his bass slung to his knees is the only real reason to see New Order live. (Unless you like frontmen who wear shit adidas trainers and shout "woo" whilst punching the air)

fingers for technical and faster stuff (but most players seem to get their bass compression totally wrong and you make out 25% of the ACTUAL notes they are playing)

pick for harder, abrasive stuff. i.e. not really playing bass guitar as such, more attacking

Define 'playing bass guitar as such' for me Smaxwell. "fingers for technical and faster stuff" needs more detail as well, are you siding against players who use picks?

I'm firmly of the opinion that I couldn't give two fucks whether someone's using a pick or not. If they're writing decent bass parts then who cares how they're achieving the sound as long as it suits the track it's being played in? It's a matter of personal preference as far as I'm concerned.

That being said I'm breaking fuckloads of picks playing bass at the moment which makes me think I should concentrate on finger playing...

• Upvote 1

pick for harder, abrasive stuff. i.e. not really playing bass guitar as such, more attacking

So, isnt expressive playing part of playing bass guitar?

It is possible to play a bass with a pick and play soft, just like you can with fingers. it gives a different tone but i've never had a clicking incident yet but if i did i'd just adjust the eq slightly.

oh aye, favourite bass players,

1. Flea

2. Bruce Foxton

3. Peter Hook

Are you refering to the sound you get, or what you believe you hear when you hear someone else use a pick.

From my point of view I have never experienced this, yes a higher level of attack like I said before but "clicky" never.

Can you point me to examples of what you find "clicky"

G...

What i believe i hear?

I dont like picks, end off. the sound they produce (im my opinion) isnt good.

I reckon every bass part played with a pick would sound better if played with the fingers but like i said that is my opinion, wether you think it is shite or not is up to you.

Surley a higher lever of attack could be achived by playing harder with you fingers.

Also

The bassist who i listen to most, inspire me most and in my opinion have had a big impact on bass are

Michael Manring

Chuck Bianchi

Victor Wooten

Jaco

Stanley Clark

Marcuss Miller

James Jamerson

Larry Graham

Jean Baudin

Steve Baily

Steve DiGi

les Claypool

and i have prop missed a few

All only play with fingers 99% of the time.

Show me a bassist who plays with a pick who can do what Manring does or Bianchi does.

Counter point tapping with a pick? I would love to see that.

Show me a bassist who plays with a pick who can do what Manring does or Bianchi does.

Not everybody thinks that the way those particular folk play constitutes a great bassist.

IMO, like a good rhythm guitarist, a bassist is best when they're humble and not playing slappy-tappy pish.

Not everybody thinks that the way those particular folk play constitutes a great bassist.

IMO, like a good rhythm guitarist, a bassist is best when they're humble and not playing slappy-tappy pish.

I never said they did, did i?

Slappy-tappy pish? what is that? Evolving the playing of a bass beyond the basics and using and pushing your imagination and musical ability?

So because someone isnt just sticking to basic finger style they are show-off assholes?

I would say Victor Wooten and Michael manring are extremely humble and i dont think you could argue with that.

Can i ask what you think of Justin King and John Butler?

Slappy-tappy pish? what is that? Evolving the playing of a bass beyond the basics and using and pushing your imagination and musical ability?

So because someone isnt just sticking to basic finger style they are show-off assholes?

I would say Victor Wooten and Michael manring are extremely humble and i dont think you could argue with that.

Can i ask what you think of Justin King and John Butler?

Just when you said "Counter point tapping with a pick? I would love to see that.", you used it to suggest that using a pick makes you a lesser bassist. I just think that good bass guitar doesn't need to be able to do anything like that to be effective.

I do kind of agree with Victor Wooten being humble, but the stuff I've heard him do just didn't sound all that great. 'Amazing Grace' on a bass guitar just doesn't sound nearly as good as it does on other instruments such as piano.

Not heard John Butler, but I don't think much of Justin King's solo stuff. The Knock on Wood thing is all very impressive technically, but it's not all that listenable. What's your point?

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy 'showing off' a bit on guitar myself, but I prefer to do it playing something thats not a bloody piano piece.

1. Billy Sheehan

2. Steve Harris

3. Cliff Burton

I would agree it's probably better to keep the slappy/tappy stuff to yourself, as a bassist. I do slappy/tappy stuff to warm up before playing, but when I'm playing with others, it's mostly business.

In my old band, we used to do some of those sort of guitar/bass duels and gymnastics when we played live, and it's fun, but I personally would only take it that far. Unless the music demands it or there's a bass solo, of course. All in all, it's the song that counts, and the bassist's role is to hold the song together with the drummer.

I would agree as well about picks and fingers being equally expressive. They're both just tools - a means to a musical end. I've heard the 'self-righteous' bass arguments before, like "Plectrums are the weapon of the enemy!" etc., but I don't buy it. If you don't feel like wearing down your digits playing 16th notes throughout a whole song, you can be sure there's another way. As long as you're happy with the sound you get! :up:

• Upvote 1

Your missing the point by a farmers mile here.....

The only point I'm trying to make and the one you are missing is, you cant totally disregard a bass player who chooses to play with a pick, you have bass players who float your boat and I have mine, I like some (if not all) of the players you like and I'm sure you like some of my favorites, thats not the point here, and its not a fingers v pick discussion, all I would like you to accept is that there is a place in the world of bass playing for picks.....

For goodness sake.... I don't want you to worship at the feet of Phil Lynot or Gerry McAvoy,

just don't close your mind to it as a viable technique.

G...

1. Billy Sheehan

2. Steve Harris

3. Cliff Burton

I would agree it's probably better to keep the slappy/tappy stuff to yourself, as a bassist. I do slappy/tappy stuff to warm up before playing, but when I'm playing with others, it's mostly business.

In my old band, we used to do some of those sort of guitar/bass duels and gymnastics when we played live, and it's fun, but I personally would only take it that far. Unless the music demands it or there's a bass solo, of course. All in all, it's the song that counts, and the bassist's role is to hold the song together with the drummer.

I would agree as well about picks and fingers being equally expressive. They're both just tools - a means to a musical end. I've heard the 'self-righteous' bass arguments before, like "Plectrums are the weapon of the enemy!" etc., but I don't buy it. If you don't feel like wearing down your digits playing 16th notes throughout a whole song, you can be sure there's another way. As long as you're happy with the sound you get! :up:

Now thons a bassist :up: You're right, it's all about the song.

Just when you said "Counter point tapping with a pick? I would love to see that.", you used it to suggest that using a pick makes you a lesser bassist. I just think that good bass guitar doesn't need to be able to do anything like that to be effective.

I do kind of agree with Victor Wooten being humble, but the stuff I've heard him do just didn't sound all that great. 'Amazing Grace' on a bass guitar just doesn't sound nearly as good as it does on other instruments such as piano.

Not heard John Butler, but I don't think much of Justin King's solo stuff. The Knock on Wood thing is all very impressive technically, but it's not all that listenable. What's your point?

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy 'showing off' a bit on guitar myself, but I prefer to do it playing something thats not a bloody piano piece.

I wouldnt say using a pick makes you a lesser bassist, just does nothing for me and stops you from being able to use tapping/slapping/double thumb etc withought throwing the pick on the ground or something.

I agree with Knock on wood isnt that listenable but then again that is your opinion.

Slapping/tapping isnt showing off, its a way to make sounds and do things that can improve a song greatly, it can be used to show off but can make a piece 100% better.

G... fair enough point and i agree a pick is a perfectly viable way to play but doesnt do it for me.

i'm gonna give my opinion on the fingers/pick discussion.

i agree that slapping, tapping etc can make a song better, aswell as showin off.

Think of how rhcp woulda made higher ground sound without the slapping and popping. and listen to the chorus of happy? by mudvayne for a good use of bass tapping in a song.

BUT i do think you can do good things when you play with a pick too. This maybe an over generalisation but punk is awesome for picked good sounding bass. . . rancid and graveltrap (think thats their name. . ), etc etc

my personal preference is to use my fingers, i never get a good sound by using a pick, i just compensate for parts where a pick excels (pumping kinda bass) by just using 1 finger, stops the alternating sound you get with walking and can give the "downstroke" effect thing i guess? then move to using 2 or 3 fingers for faster stuff.

i sometimes envy those bassists who can get a good tone and that with a pick.

:gringo:

what exactly is it about victor wootens bass playing that you regard as humble? don't get me wrong, i'm as much of a fan as the next guy but that is not a word i'd ever use to describe him!!

turbo-whap-tapping on bass may not be possible with a pick but is sweep picking across a ten string bass possible with your fingers? i don't know, partly because i've never tried but mostly because both sweep picking and ten string basses are for gays.

different tools for different jobs. just one tool for bass snobs.

/x