Matt Freeman

Geddy Lee

Billy Gould

Would be my top three.

Closely followed by

John Entwistle

Paul McCartney

Chris Wolstenholme

I like a bass player that can carry a song on their own and leave the guitar / vox a bit of space to do other things. Someone mentioned this already but Chris Wolstenholme of Muse does this to great effect, often with a great fuzz bass sound.

Matt Freeman for me is king, though. He's so fast, inventive and for me carries Rancid. Any Rancid song has incredible bass work and while it can be flashy it always underpins the song. Can't wait to see him in Edinburgh next month!

Top Bass songs by top bassists:

Rancid: Maxwell Murder

Rush: YYZ

Faith No More: Land of Sunshine

For anyone who hasn't heard it, check out YYZ by Rush for a bass - tastic experience!

For anyone who hasn't heard it, check out YYZ by Rush for a bass - tastic experience!

every now and then I'll try and perfect that song's bass part...but it generally ends up in me screaming in rage...Geddy Lee is an absolute god...shame about his voice though...

I challenge any bassist here to try Donna Lee by Jaco Pastrious...:devil:

John Entwhistle

He was a fantastic player, and knew exactly when to hang back in a song and when to jump out (one of the more important things for a bassist to remember)

Chris Wolthenstone

A Machine, basically carries whole songs along on the bass part and sounds huge, but as above, knows when to play and when to hang back, probably one of the bigger influences I have for playing bass (fuzzy bass :love: )

Billy Sheehan and Jaco and so on, they tend to leave me a bit cold, yeah they are incredible technical players, but most of the music dosen't really excite me thb

David

My top 3 are;

Billy Sheehan; I was going to post his name and picture but someone already had, he is a really fast bassist and you have to love that, I love the solo in "I'm the hell out of here" which features in "G3 Live in Denver", the Vai set is really good. Not to mention his album stuff is amazing.

Bruce Foxton; The man who inspired me to drop my guitar and play the bass. I thought bass backed up guitar but in The Jam, the guitar backed up the bass. The song "Start!" should be an influence on Bassists everywhere.

Mark Hamilton; Heavily distorted bass is cool, and the best of it comes from ASH's bassist Mark Hamilton, he is a decent player too and is my main musical influence.

But to be honest, unless you mentioned this name, you are wrong. The bast bass guitarist of all time ever was Jaco Pastorius, end of. He was killed after a savage beating though...

The song "Start!" should be an influence on Bassists everywhere.

It certainly was on Foxton, since he just nicked it from McCartney's "Taxman" bass line.

I like Ash, but Hamilton can't even play half the time. I seriously wouldn't say they are a band that stand out because of their outstanding bass playing!

Each to their own, though. And I do admire Foxton.