aberdeen-music

Halls

davewarden

Whatever you do' date=' don't go into catered halls :puke:

Spring Gardens was a dive 6 years ago. Then it went private. Make of this what you will.[/quote']

What's wrong with the catered halls? I've only ever been in the dingy self catered ones, though..

Guest Gasss

Generic meat dishes in bland sauce served each day with obscure foreign names to make them sound exotic. Potatoes which get progressively smaller as the week progresses (spuds > chips > fried diced chips). Meat which similarly gets smaller and spicier. Like school dinners only worse and inescapable unless you can cook on two tiny electric hobs that don't work or can afford takeaways++++

You can kip on me and Shar's sofa' date=' you know that :p And things will work out...[/color']

Haha, you haven't seen me first thing in the morning, I think it would terrify you so much that you'd never make that offer again :p

Housing's not the major worry though, no doubt I'll be able to find somewhere, if I even decide to stay in Aberdeen. Thinking about it, there's probably not that much (apart from you guys) keeping me here.

But just in case, get a comfy sofa :p

Guest Jake Wifebeater
aaaaaaaaah!!!! reading that had me in bits!!! when you move into halls' date=' it does amaze you how filthy and inconsiderate some people can be!! even now in my flat we have problems with people leaving the kitchen like a shithouse, or even their own room, seemingly oblivious to the fact that they then tramp their mess through the house and the whole place turns into a shit hole!

sometimes i think there's a lot to be gained from living alone!

spoons

/x[/quote']

Living alone is the business, it really is. You just can't beat having the place all to yourself. Apart from a few months at a time, I've lived alone for three years now and I don't think I could share ever again, well, maybe for a short time. But other people can drive you to distraction, which is probably due to me becoming impossibly pedantic and anal through being so used to having everything done my way. When you get the flat to yourself, do you think "Thank fuck. The other people have gone"?

Having visitors can be difficult. I'm sure they must get tired of being told to shut the fucking door and switch the fucking kettle off and turn the fucking light out in the kitchen and don't fucking put that there. At least I'm self-aware enough to know that I'm impossible to live with.

When you get the flat to yourself' date=' do you think "Thank fuck. The other people have gone"?[/quote']

that's exactly it! i'm not particularly anal about anything (apart from biros, but that's another story!) but i just dont understand how some people can make a mess and then just walk off, knowing that the mess inconveniences others. even worse, people who will make the same mistake oer and over and over again with the same consequences. it's a well known fact that glass bottles of irn bru and standard milk bottles should not be stored on their side when they've been opened because they're not water tight when you reseal them. despite this, it happens over and over again. i put signs up in the kitchen and lists of how to do the simplest things (like washing dishes properly) but they get followed for 5 minutes and then ignored. what kind of person takes a plate with a half eaten dinner on it and then attempts to clean it without first scraping the remaining food off the plate? cue a sink full of food, left to decompose and a fat ginger man storming around the flat ready to tear someone a new arsehole!

spoons

/x

Guest Jake Wifebeater
that's exactly it! i'm not particularly anal about anything (apart from biros' date=' but that's another story!) but i just dont understand how some people can make a mess and then just walk off, knowing that the mess inconveniences others. even worse, people who will make the same mistake oer and over and over again with the same consequences. it's a well known fact that glass bottles of irn bru and standard milk bottles should not be stored on their side when they've been opened because they're not water tight when you reseal them. despite this, it happens over and over again. i put signs up in the kitchen and lists of how to do the simplest things (like washing dishes properly) but they get followed for 5 minutes and then ignored. what kind of person takes a plate with a half eaten dinner on it and then attempts to clean it without first scraping the remaining food off the plate? cue a sink full of food, left to decompose and a fat ginger man storming around the flat ready to tear someone a new arsehole!

spoons

/x[/quote']

The bastards. The selfish, inconsiderate bastards. If they want to attract rats, then they're going the right way about it. Just reading your post is getting my dander up! I cannot BELIEVE that they put dishes in the sink with food still on them. I don't live in a sterile environment but the thought of living in shit is unbearable. You sound like the ideal flatmate, but I've only a one-bedroom and my programme collection takes up the boxroom so you're stuck with the buggers for a while yet!

I served three years at Hillhead and one year in Dunbar, which certainly saved me some dosh.

Hillhead is falling to bits and is a bit opf a desperate place. But in first yeasr its crucial to stay in halls and catered ones at that...I was in self-catering for my first year with a bunch of second year tossers who were also raving bible bashers and therefore it was much harder to meet people.

The thing halls have going for them is that everything is done for you, no worries about calling out plumbers, not being in when a parcel gets delivered and so on. Dunbar was great but is now flattened, and catered halls are a bit more pricey becasue you rarely end up making it down to the breakfast you've paid for or getting back for tea.

But Aberdeen Uni is a fairly dispicable institution when it comes to looking after its students: its lowest priority is education, hence it continually builds ridiculously overpriced halls which are costly. The older halls at Hillhead and Crombie/Johnston are much more fun and actually nicer than those dreadful self-catered flats called North and South Hall.

The catered halls at Hillhead are based on a Swedish prison its true design but they really aren't that terrible...and being that near to Brig O'Balgownie is a treat when you want a quiet moment.

Then again, I've never lived alone and like sharing to be honest.

me and the 2 guys get on well as friends but over the past couple of years it's degenerated quite a lot because of all the mess and stuff. every time anything about it is mentioned, i always get the same bullshit excuse about "it's a student flat, not a palace" which makes me want to ram a biro into someones kidney. my room is tidy and hoovered and i know where everything is. in contrast, one of the guys i share with has a room which looks like the carpet has been replaced with a fine blend of faeces and tobacco and the other lives in what looks like a dirty clothes dump. the lease ran out at the start of april and we're only really here till the exams pass and we decide what we're doing over summer so i think it's goodbye when that's over.

the other thing that really gets my goat is the fact that we rent the flat from a guy who's a bit shit at getting things done but apart from that, he's a good guy. the place and been newly decorated when we moved in and he'd put in a new kitchen including all appliances and a new bathroom suite and the two guys i share with treat it without an ounce of repect. i made a point of asking when i wanted to make 8 tiny holes to put up hangers for my basses on the wall and the guy was absolutely fine with it, but the other guys drilled holes into the doorframe for the kitchen (without mentioning it to me, let alone the landlord) to put up a chin-up bar which is never used and then at halloween, one of them got dressed up as batman and was swinging on the thing like a prick and kicked in the window above the door!! luckily he got showered in glass and ended up in hospital which made me smile.

this is just the start of the list tho! and the last flat we were in, we left with just under a months notice cos he landlord tried to hike the price for the next year, and we lost a 700 deposit, party for that., but also for a variety of reasons which included one of the guys kicking the shit out of a wardrobe because he didn't want it in his room and stealing a couple of shitty chairs which sat unused in out new flat for a couple of months and then kit smashed to bits and put in the bin.

unfortunately, last year we had to move just before exam time and found a flat right around the corner which was the reason why i never found somewhere else. thankfully this time i'll be able to look about and hopefully get an alternative sorted out.

when you're a full time student working about 15hours a week in a part-time job, while hosting a radio show, 2 pub quizzes and sitting on the board of management at your union, while trying to maintain a relationship with your girlfriend, it's not always the first thing on your mind to come in and clean the flat at night, but i ALWAYS make the effort to clean up after me, even if it's just scraping the food into the bin and rinsing the dishes so they're easy to do the next night when i have a chance, yet one flatmate who has no job and takes part in no extra curricular activities seems incapable of moving from his seat for long enough to wipe down the worktops or clean the kitchen floor!!

as you can see, it's been an ordeal!! the last couple of months have been marginally better because the main offender has got a girlfriend and thus seems to view the situation differently, but it's never easy!

i just found out that by forgetting to hand in my accomodation application, i won't be able to stay in the rgu halls.

i looked at the mealmarket and it seems quite good, but the lease terms are a bit different from what i need (but i'll still probably apply).

what other sort of places are good for students, that are fairly close to the city centre?