aberdeen-music

Halls

davewarden

Guest MarkJDelaney

My mate seems to love the halls, but then again he'd rather stay away from his parents anyway - he says he doesn't get on with them too well. I personally have no idea, I stay at home.

Or how about no.

Student accomodation of any variety is a mere step up from sticking syringes up your backside and yelling "Big Issue" in a variety of uninterested tones.

I mean, why pay do people pay big bucks for living in absolute squalor? Fucking peasants.

Do yourself an enormous favour and rent a place out privately. Less money down the drain, less vomit on the walls/curtains/floors, less yobs/noise, and most importantly less students.

Guest valley69

i wouldnt like to stay in halls, rent a place out, more freedom to do what you want to do and less of that ' crazy' student antics that you would be likely to encounter.

That's not what i've heard!!

Well I've been in the accomodation... and it's nice.

Or how about no.

Student accomodation of any variety is a mere step up from sticking syringes up your backside and yelling "Big Issue" in a variety of uninterested tones.

I mean' date=' why pay do people pay big bucks for living in absolute squalor? Fucking peasants.

Do yourself an enormous favour and rent a place out privately. Less money down the drain, less vomit on the walls/curtains/floors, less yobs/noise, and most importantly less students.[/quote']

I don't pay big bucks for living in squalor. I have a nice room, with my own shower, broadband, no bills, a shared kitchen and I'm close to town.

I can assure you there's no vomit on the walls or curtains in my flat, no yobs on site (that I've come across in the 9 months I've lived here) and sometimes being around other students when you are a student is all part of the experience...

Don't knock the different accomodation till you've seen it. Yer from what I've heard Crombie-Johnson and Hillhead haven't changed a bit in the 15 years since my brother lived there, but there are other sites like I've mentioned - 3 of the Unite properties are pretty much brand new and for what you're getting is prolly better value than any of the Uni accomodation. They're all fairly close to Aberdeen Uni and not too out of the way of RGU either.

*Shrug* I like my flat, I'd rather have lived here than anywhere else for 1st year. Except maybe Mealmarket, because the rooms are bigger and you get a nicer bathroom.

Well I've been in the accomodation... and it's nice.

I don't pay big bucks for living in squalor. I have a nice room' date=' with my own shower, broadband, no bills, a shared kitchen and I'm close to town.

I can assure you there's no vomit on the walls or curtains in my flat, no yobs on site (that I've come across in the 9 months I've lived here) and sometimes being around other students when you [b']are a student is all part of the experience...

Don't knock the different accomodation till you've seen it. Yer from what I've heard Crombie-Johnson and Hillhead haven't changed a bit in the 15 years since my brother lived there, but there are other sites like I've mentioned - 3 of the Unite properties are pretty much brand new and for what you're getting is prolly better value than any of the Uni accomodation. They're all fairly close to Aberdeen Uni and not too out of the way of RGU either.

*Shrug* I like my flat, I'd rather have lived here than anywhere else for 1st year. Except maybe Mealmarket, because the rooms are bigger and you get a nicer bathroom.

yeah i live at the fire station as well and its nice enough like...i havent stayed in the actual halls but ive been in mealmarket a few times and i would say its a bit nicer yeah..my mates lived up on the 7th floor and it was only them on the floor and serioulsy the living room must have been about double the usual size if not more..and with an amazing high celing...such a nice room that was..

Guest Jake Wifebeater

My partner stayed in one or two Spring Garden addresses, and they were the most feeble excuses for "accommodation" I've ever seen. When her lease ran out I couldn't spirit her off to Ape Towers fast enough until she got her own flat. Charging the earth for fucking hovels, filthy, disgusting bastards who weren't even remotely house-trained stinking the place up and stealing from her, mail going walkies, you fucking name it. Sharing with one or two would be bad enough, but sharing with about ten others who hadn't a fucking clue how to think of others or wash themselves would have driven me to a murderous rampage. I should firebomb the squalid shit-tips on principle. Absolute fucking larceny.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Spring Gardens was a dive 6 years ago. Then it went private. Make of this what you will.

Still some of the bleakest places I've ever been in, and that's saying something. Breeze block hell and tiny rooms where you couldn't swing a rat, never mind a cat.

Guest Gasss

I shared a flat with a guy that didn't speak to anyone in ten months and was occasionally seen outside the games workshop just standing. There was also another guy that insisted on playing "whole again" by atomic kitten every night with his stereo turned up so high it sounded like Atari Teenage Riot.

One christmas, the rest of the flat went home for 2 weeks and this guy collected about 7 full binbags in the living room. I'll never forget the smell of that mould. I swear you could see the spores hanging in the air.

Good times

edit: sorry, off topic reminiscing

okies so i didn't live in aberdeen halls so i can't comment on them but when i went to dundee, i lived in the skankiest student accomodation possible- peterson. however i'm pleased to say that it was one of the ace-est times of my life! despite the fact that it wouldn't look out of place as a murder scene in The Bill, there was a fantastic atmosphere... i was pretty sad to leave actually. :(

Charging the earth for fucking hovels' date=' filthy, disgusting bastards who weren't even remotely house-trained stinking the place up and stealing from her, mail going walkies, you fucking name it. Sharing with one or two would be bad enough, but sharing with about ten others who hadn't a fucking clue how to think of others or wash themselves would have driven me to a murderous rampage. I should firebomb the squalid shit-tips on principle. Absolute fucking larceny.[/quote']

aaaaaaaaah!!!! reading that had me in bits!!! when you move into halls, it does amaze you how filthy and inconsiderate some people can be!! even now in my flat we have problems with people leaving the kitchen like a shithouse, or even their own room, seemingly oblivious to the fact that they then tramp their mess through the house and the whole place turns into a shit hole!

sometimes i think there's a lot to be gained from living alone!

spoons

/x

Still some of the bleakest places I've ever been in' date=' and that's saying something. Breeze block hell and tiny rooms where you couldn't swing a rat, never mind a cat.[/quote']

That description reminds me of the Linksfield accomdation. Tiny rooms with bare white washed breeze block walls. I'd be tempted to buy a couple pots of paint and get some mural action on the go to liven it up. Plus they were tiny rooms...and the "living room" was even smaller...more like a cupboard. Glad I stay at home.