aberdeen-music

Rick Webster/Unkle Bob, Delawair & The Kitchen Cynics - The Tunnels - Wed 4th May

Andy Mulhern

Vocoustics are thrilled to present another evening of vocousticness with a solo show from one of Scotlands finest new singer/songwriters. ...

Rick Webster/Unkle Bob

Delawair

The Kitchen Cynics

The Tunnels - Wednesday 4th May - 3 from 8pm - First act 8:30pm

Rick Webster

unklelogo.gif

Rick Webster is the singer/songwriter from Glasgow's much praised Unkle Bob. Rick takes his influences from early 70s artists such as Nick Drake, Van Morrison, Tim Buckley, Cat Stevens, John Martyn, Carole King, and Neil Young.

Their sound has been descirbed as "the musical equivalent of the last warm bath you'd take before cutting your wrists" (Guardian) but Unkle Bob insist that it is all about the writing of good songs.

An early debut appeared in May 2003 which captured something of the bands early promise and helped raise their profile with airplay on BBC Radio 1, BBC Radio 2, BBC Radio Scotland, Beat 106.

In February 2005 they released a fantastic EP The Hit Parade and played an 8-date tour of Scotland, including a date at the Lemon Tree.

Rick will be accompanied by Stuart Cartwright on guitar, banjo and mandolin for this chilled acoustic set of BOB songs.

In a world looking for the next fashion, the outstanding Unkle Bob might well turn out to be the norm The List 50 Best Scottish bands of all Time (New Talent)

"Unkle Bob really do look set for great things." Scotland on Sunday

"Rick Websters expressive voice and a repertoire of tuneful happy-sad songs recalls the likes of Nick Drake [...] compelling to listen to" The Scotsman (Jan 05)

"a singer who sounds like Nick Drake whispering secrets into Ray Davies' ear, plus he possesses an enviable stash of country-folk heartbreakers." Scotland on Sunday (Nov 04)

www.unklebob.com

Support from:

Delawair is the musical brain-child of Scott Lyon - great acoustic musings inspired by dirty-country, sad-songs, ex-girlfriends, cigerettes and static.

www.delawair.com

The Kitchen Cynics

As the Local Great Auntie-Folk Auntie-Hero - Alan Cynic is excellent entertainment!

Support Your Local Independant Music Promoters

www.vocoustics.com

Marvelooos!

Thoroughly enjoyed last nights entertainment.

Delawair, were quite enjoyable. Some very Nice harmonies and catchy melodies.

Rick, was not my cup of tea I'm afraid.

Mr Cynic and the Cynic Orchestra were amazing. Every time I see Alan play he's pushing himself and trying something new. He was on great form and Mike and Phil did a great job too. As always Alan, I can't wait until the next time even if it is just to see what charity-shop bought musical contraption you're going to play for us.

Thank you for that, FM!!!

I enjoyed Delawair....as you say, very nice harmonies. I actually preferred Rick's solo set to when I saw Unkle Bob at the Lemon Tree....more fragile sounding...I really liked his last song. Cheers to Andy & Kevin of Vocoustics for allowing us to join the fun.

I was chuffed that Phil, Mike & I didn't sound too naff, as it was our first gig together for months. Hopefully we'll be OK supporting the Incredible String Band on sat at Drummonds (Duncan will be joining us again on cello). The worst bit was me solo at the start (quite a few mistakes!!).

Guest Zeenat Aman
Thank you for that' date=' FM!!!

I enjoyed Delawair....as you say, very nice harmonies. I actually preferred Rick's solo set to when I saw Unkle Bob at the Lemon Tree....more fragile sounding...I really liked his last song. Cheers to Andy & Kevin of Vocoustics for allowing us to join the fun.

I was chuffed that Phil, Mike & I didn't sound too naff, as it was our first gig together for months. Hopefully we'll be OK supporting the Incredible String Band on sat at Drummonds (Duncan will be joining us again on cello). The worst bit was me solo at the start (quite a few mistakes!!).[/quote']

Aha, on one of the songs, for a few bars,, it sounded like you were singing perfectly in tune... it just happened to be a different key to the guitar. :p

Something struck me whilst watching from the audience to begin with, then onstage, your guitar playing has come on greatly, the ol' cynic's nimble finger work was joyous!

I enjoyed playiong our little set and Delawair too, I had to leave before the final act though. :(

I cant wait for Saturday, with Duncan onboard too, the orchestra is complete... ace!!!

Aha' date=' on one of the songs, for a few bars,, it sounded like you were singing perfectly in tune... it just happened to be a different key to the guitar. :p

I cant wait for Saturday, with Duncan onboard too, the orchestra is complete... ace!!![/quote']

Yep....I forgot the chords!!! (and there were only 3 of them :laughing: ) I busked inaccurately for a line or two.

Hoorah for a Kitchen Cynics reunion gig.....slightly cheaper than Cream, too, plus we'll be using cello, flute, ukelin, phono fiddle, slide kazoo, mike-bone and melodica :cheers:

I enjoyed Delawair....as you say' date=' very nice harmonies. I actually preferred Rick's solo set to when I saw Unkle Bob at the Lemon Tree....more fragile sounding...I really liked his last song. Cheers to Andy & Kevin of Vocoustics for allowing us to join the fun.

[/quote']

Cheers Alan, it was an excellent night :cheers: , really enjoyed your's and Delawair set.

Rick really liked the venue and i'm hoping to get the full Unkle Bob band up later in the year....

His songs did sound more fragile solo, his voice felt like it was about to fall off a cliff or something (if that make any sense!)

yeah I thought he was great. On record the full band are amazing.