aberdeen-music

What do you do if someone nicks your band name?

Guest Neubeatz

Call your band after guy who nicked it...that's what Brad did. I can't remember their original name but when someone "stole" it they just called them selves after said Brad. I do believe there is a withinthesewalls on my space from America...but I think we exsisted before/don't play crappy american radio rock.

As far as I can tell it only becomes an issue if you're likely to be operating in the same region, and there's any chance of the public getting confused as to who is who. Even then it just becomes a pissing contest, basically.

I remember the Skuobhie Dubh Orchestra got a legal letter from Hanna Barbera which was pretty funny, but they still had to change their name.

Call your band after guy who nicked it...that's what Brad did. I can't remember their original name but when someone "stole" it they just called them selves after said Brad. I do believe there is a withinthesewalls on my space from America...but I think we exsisted before/don't play crappy american radio rock.

I think Brad were originally called Shame. Then some guy called Brad declared his band was already called Shame, even though they had split up or something, so then Shame became Brad, and Shame became the name of the first album.

confused?

8o

As far as I can tell it only becomes an issue if you're likely to be operating in the same region' date=' and there's any chance of the public getting confused as to who is who. Even then it just becomes a pissing contest, basically.

I remember the Skuobhie Dubh Orchestra got a legal letter from Hanna Barbera which was pretty funny, but they still had to change their name.[/quote']

That makes sense - There's a Charlatans in the US as well as here, and there was the UK Nirvana and the US Nirvana. And then there's HIM, who have to call themselves HER in America I believe, but that doesn't stop them being called HIM everywhere else.

I remember Mute (Buckie) drummer Dylan telling me about a Canadian band of the same name who actually e-mailed him and demanded they change their name....they were politely told to fuck-off. Band names are a lottery it seems and there's not a lot can be done about name-clashing. So far we've been lucky although there's a band called goneblind in England that appear on a Google search. I suppose if a band does get in a name-clash situation it can provide the foil to pump your own band that bit more to make it stand out.

I found a second-hand sampler CD with a song by 'kitchen cynic' on it...it was a dancey type thing. Fortunately that appears to have been all they or he ever did. I was first by at least a decade and a half though!

I remembera few years ago pointing out to the local band Luna that there was already a band called that who were well known (ex Galaxie 500), and who had only recently been supporting Lou Reed in Scotland. They changed to Lunar.

I used to like the Newcastle band, Hedgehog Pie (who included members of the great folk/psych band Dando Shaft), but wasn't so keen on the Aberdeen lot of the same name.

I think Brad were originally called Shame. Then some guy called Brad declared his band was already called Shame' date=' even though they had split up or something, so then Shame became Brad, and Shame became the name of the first album.

confused?

8o[/quote']

Not at all, followed it quite well actually....

Guest lumpo

... and we of sidca keep getting email pertaining to the Swedish International Develepmont Corp. and some Argentinian palaver. Caribou, who were in town recently, had to change their name because "handsome dick" Manitoba of The (recently reformed, class of CBGBs, power pop act ) Dictators, had issues about his fans getting confused! And what about the Leap and the Stereophonics?

My advice would be to hold on to your name, and, should they hit some sort of big time, let the motorscooters buy you out.

Guest DustyDeviada
I found a second-hand sampler CD with a song by 'kitchen cynic' on it...it was a dancey type thing. Fortunately that appears to have been all they or he ever did. I was first by at least a decade and a half though!

I remembera few years ago pointing out to the local band Luna that there was already a band called that who were well known (ex Galaxie 500)' date=' and who had only recently been supporting Lou Reed in Scotland. They changed to Lunar.

I used to like the Newcastle band, Hedgehog Pie (who included members of the great folk/psych band Dando Shaft), but wasn't so keen on the Aberdeen lot of the same name.[/quote']

Yep, I seem to remember that you also helpfully pointed out to a band at Cults who had come up with the name "Curved Air" that it had already been done.

Also Jo McCafferty was in a band called "Modern Uses for Velcro" which got told to cease and desist by Velcro Inc. I know, 'cos it was in the P&J. ;)

I dont care. How do you play the Blah blah blah? and.... is that you chasing the MSN butterfly. I swear you have a stiffy chasing the poor innocent' date=' short living, ex caterpillar[/quote']

as far as I know, you can't play the 'blah blah blah' - its not a musical instrument

I don't understand the other part of that post, but if there was an AUBL chart for rubbish posts, I think you'd find yourself at the top of that one too!

as far as I know' date=' you can't play the 'blah blah blah' - its not a musical instrument

I don't understand the other part of that post, but if there was an AUBL chart for rubbish posts, I think you'd find yourself at the top of that one too![/quote']

Damn right