aberdeen-music

Stop Moving The Bloody Threads From All Music Discussion

we'll move threads if they should be in another forum. last one I moved was a thread called The Music and it was asking what everyone thought about the gig. That should obviously have been in the feedback forum so I moved it.

It's not about being over-zealous it's just that now there's more of us the job can get done properly.

And at the end of the day if people put threads in the proper place to start with we wouldn't have to move them :)

both! all! everything! it's just annoying to me, i just feel like nobody is going to read them, and hence nobody is going to post on them, if they just get shunted straight to the feedback forum. the feedback forum is a great idea, but it seems like it's the same people that read and post on it most of the time. the good thing about the old aubl board was that most of the discussion *was* about music, and most of the people would read and/or post in these types of threads.

i'm not that interested in the specific threads that were moved per se, just the concept. the boards are supposed to be about aberdeen music, music in aberdeen, music from aberdeen, it's just a shame that when people do actually discuss music, it's relegated to a small corner, to a small audience, etc. etc.

there is plenty of "feedback" about bands (local or otherwise) that doesn't get moved to the feedback forums, e.g.

http://aberdeen-music.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23713

http://aberdeen-music.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23731

http://aberdeen-music.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23655

http://aberdeen-music.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23684

http://aberdeen-music.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21707

not trying to make a big deal, i am obviously still going to read the threads wherever the go, i just find it hard to acknowledge where the line is drawn, i mean what about all the local shows that turn into massive feedback threads?

perhaps it may be better to have "local music banter" which includes threads about local bands, touring bands (prospective or booked) coming to aberdeen and playing, gig announcements, etc. etc., and "foreign music banter" which talks about any other music not related in some way to aberdeen. these could, of course, replace "feedback forum" and

"all music discussion".

fair point, but I think any way you divide it up there's always going to be grey areas. There does need to be a certain element of 'sorting', and various combinations have been tried, but I think the set up just now is ok. Ideally I think the Feedback Forum should be for local musicians who would gain from hearing opinions on their material, either live or recorded. The criteria I personally would apply is 'what is the intention of the thread?' If the point of it is to help the band by providing opinions, then that goes in the feedback forum. If it is merely to talk about a gig with other people who were there, that stays in All Music. There should always be a 'moved' re-direct as well. I'll start a discussion in the staff forum about it to clarify.

Right enough though we don't always get it right, and sometimes don't notice threads that should be moved - there's a couple in your list I probably would have moved if I'd caught them. Might do now though...

Anyway, thanks for your...er...feedback...

Happy now?

I don't think you understand the point I was trying to make. I posted the threads above as an example of how fine a line it is between "music discussion", and "feedback discussion", and as an example of how the situation could possibly be remedied, so that the website's domain name has at least a little relevance.

really, these people on judge judy on monday morning could have a field day with this website, making it look like the total joke that it often is. 100 page threads about pirates, all the infighting that is embarked upon daily without fail, 10 favourite 10 hated threads, i mean, what the hell has it got to do with music in aberdeen? the whole fact that this website needs supporting demonstrates how far it has drifted from (what i think was) its original purpose.

i don't begrudge wastelanders their wasteland, nor bands their band forums - for 98% of this website's userbase, the website is probably ideal. however, like mince pies, the website has approximately 88% filler content, the rest possibly being real substance. this in itself is not a new discussion, and i'm not looking for any answers, just re-iterating unsolved problems.

really' date=' these people on judge judy on monday morning could have a field day with this website, making it look like the total joke that it often is. 100 page threads about pirates, all the infighting that is embarked upon daily without fail, 10 favourite 10 hated threads, i mean, what the hell has it got to do with music in aberdeen? the whole fact that this website needs supporting demonstrates how far it has drifted from (what i think was) its original purpose.[/quote']

In my opinion the web site has always been like this to some degree - this is not a new problem. I would love to actually have more music discussion take place on the web site but unfortunately that isn't all people want to talk about. The Wasteland forum very much attempts to be the "bin" that all non-music discussion takes place so that if people want to just to see the music related stuff then they can just stay clear of that particular forum.

My future plans for the web site are still developing but the next version of the web site will reduce the focus on the forums and actually add some content to the web site - all music related content you will be glad to hear. This will hopefully include a system for submitting reviews of various things (gigs, CDs etc) so that the Feedback forum will eventually be removed or it's purpose changed.

I'm confused about your remarks regarding supporting the web site though. If you are referring to the Supporters of the web site then this is just a way of raising more cash to pay for the web hosting costs for the web site. Since day one I have had to pay these costs for myself and so again, this isn't anything new nor really an indicator of what state the web site is in.

Funnily enough, your remarks about Judge Judy have reminded me of a strangely similar accusation that was fired at aberdeen-music.com during the filming for our People's Court appearance on Monday morning. So maybe you have a point - is aberdeen-music.com just a total joke? And if so, why are you still participating on the web site and why is the site now more popular than ever before?

Sorry, but you did bring it up! :)

And if so' date=' why are you still participating on the web site and why is the site now more popular than ever before?

Sorry, but you did bring it up! :)[/quote']

Because for all the fluff, bitching, backstabbing and sims-like community that have arisen from the website, there is about 10% of really good stuff that the website fosters. for me, that is the feedback/review element, gig announcements, musician's corner and classified ads.

as for the website being popular, consider the (possibly misinterpreted on my part) purpose of the website, and then the manner in which it is mostly used by the majority of members - to me there is a large discrepancy. if the measure of success is the maintenance of an online community, providing new features and having a good team of moderators that keep the status quo relatively happy, then i already know that you're doing a great job.

saying all that, i am looking forward to seeing the changes in near future, interested to see rico and jimmy's influence in the proceedings, though i think as ever it will be hard to steer the majority of the herd away from the prime fodder - the forums.

• 4 weeks later...

I remember you mentioning this Paul.

I think the problem is that people like the interactivity of the site too much to include themselves in more "music worthy" subjects.

Everyone likes to have their say, and feel they are getting their voice heard. I think the added bonus to that is forums like this one, allowing members to interact with those partly and primarily responsible for the site itself.

My understanding of websites is limited but I have studied the transition of newspapers in a digital arena, where they have their own online equivalents to their print forms.

Like anything a medium has to appeal to the majority.

I do agree though that feedback seems to be sectioned away from the more popular areas, but then I feel a trend has changes on the site itself. I remember before the feedback forum, threads would be often opened in the music discussion forum or whatever it used to be known as, discussing the bands from the previous nights show. Users don't seem to so readily do this now. This might also be linked to the theory that gig attendance was going down, which was discussed some time ago on aberdeen-music.com.

Maybe both of these are a result of the progress online and the development of the "overall online experience", or maybe I'm very misguided.

Corrections / comments appreciated.