aberdeen-music

Japanese Guitars

craig deadenstereo

i have a westone thunder 1, a customised westone concord and a westone thunder bass. all from around 1984.

underacclaimed guitars, but im glad about that because they currently trade hands on ebay for around 100, but the popularity is rising and so is the price.

beautiful guitars, i love westones!

Originally posted by chris h:

Yamaha SG's are not gibson quality without the price. i don't care how many internet sites you've read that on, it simply isn't true.

Well, it was Guitarist magazine....

And I've played a few gibsons and didn't think they were any better than my guitar.

Anyway, what are you talking about? Your strat is a hunk of shit that rattles and has pickups weaker than your spine, boyo! At least it looks decent after I put that black scratchplate on it.....

Craig

Originally posted by David:

some japanese stuff is excellent

on a few guitar forums i visit tokais are getting really great reviews, basically better than gibson but without the pricetag...

David

They still aren't cheap. Bruce Millars have a nice ES355 Dot and Tele by Tokai. The tele sounded great, really bassey and round or as twangy as you like! Though the action wasn't brilliant but when do guitars ever have great action in the shop? I think it was 800 but is was reduced by more than 100 I think to about 600 and something...<wants>

Originally posted by craig deadenstereo:

Well, it was Guitarist magazine....

And I've played a few gibsons and didn't think they were any better than my guitar.

Anyway, what are you talking about? Your strat is a hunk of shit that rattles and has pickups weaker than your spine, boyo! At least it looks decent after I put that black scratchplate on it.....

Craig

Chill! I wasn't sayiong my guitar's better than yours, that'd be crazy! Though it used to be quite good until a succession of my philanthropic friends took turns to set it up, clean it up etc. and fucking broke it (i don't blame you for this, the damage was done long before).

Anyway, my point was that yamaha's are not as good as gibsons. your guitar is quite good, but it's a total hog to play and doesn't have the same low down dirty sound as a proper SG. That's what i think anyway. Plus, it doesn't stay in tune, which kind of sucks :)

I've got a couple of Ibanez RG's. Tuning is the most stable I've ever had on a guitar and they sound pretty rockin, but it's hard to get a more gentle distortion out of them...so they're perfect! :p

Not Gibson copies, but who want's a copy?

Originally posted by chris h:

Chill! I wasn't sayiong my guitar's better than yours, that'd be crazy! Though it used to be quite good until a succession of my philanthropic friends took turns to set it up, clean it up etc. and fucking broke it (i don't blame you for this, the damage was done long before).

Anyway, my point was that yamaha's are not as good as gibsons. your guitar is quite good, but it's a total hog to play and doesn't have the same low down dirty sound as a proper SG. That's what i think anyway. Plus, it doesn't stay in tune, which kind of sucks :)

I wouldn't say my guitar is a hog to play at all. I've yet to find an easier guitar to play. You just can't deal with it's raw power! I have yet to find a guitar that i don't knock out of tune...

But the point is that Guitarist did a feature comparing a Yamaha SG2000 and a Gibson Les Paul Standard and found the Yamaha to be a better guitar....

Your idea of a proper SG is your brother's Epiphone SG 300 or whatever they are. I played one of those in a shop the other day. Craig's quick review: Piece of Shit!

Nooch!

no,my idea of a proper Sg is one made by gibson. i used to play them a lot. anyway i guess it's all about personal prefernce but i find i cant play your guitar, it's really heavy and the string tension is all weird. And it's not so much that you knock it out of tune with your incredible guitar heroics, more that i've never found it stays in tune at all, even when just playing chords.

well, i'm getting bored of this now. each to his own. except me, cos my guitar blows and i want another one :(

• 9 months later...

re

nobody would want a copy when you can have the real thing.

I disagree, a Gibson Les Paul standard is say, 1300 - 1800 depending on where you get it. I'd much rather have an ESP Eclipse II or even an LTD EC-1000, or the see thru black cherry Tokai Love Rock in R&B at the moment (the 899 one). The only Gibson Les Paul I'd take is a Custom or possibly something else from the Custom Shop, but otherwise I'd go ESP all the way. Saying that though, an Eclipse sounds nothing like a Les Paul, just look alike. But yeah, Japanese guitars rule, names are nothing to me now, I've played too many crap Gibsons to bias a choice on the headstock name. James

Guest DustyDeviada

Wow, must have been a considered reply, took ten months to come up with.

Anyhoo, the resurrection of this thread gives me an opportunity to big up my japanese made Gretsch 6119, great build quality.

i have an Ibanez RG1570 Prestige (RGs are normally made in Korea but the Prestige models are built in Japan) and I must say it is quite excellent.

It feels like someone has taken great care to craft it, the Ibanez Edge Pro bridges are simply great. 2nd best thing you can get to Flyd Rose Original imho. The neck is a total dream to play (Ibz Wizard Necks), it is incredibly thin - and somehow it feels so much more natural. I also have a BC Rich Warlock with a strat-like neck and its a thick twat, thin neck all the way! The only thing I changed are the pickups, I put in 2 Dimarzio evolutions and they absolutely RIP!

Fantastic guitar, and I can see a long friendship with Ibanez guitars for me...