aberdeen-music

store for USED gear?

sonhenry

Funny you mention this cos i just spent an hour or so in town looking for second hand guitars. I think R&B mainly have new stuff like Bruce Millers, and even their second hand guitars arnt much cheaper. As for Prosound (holburn st), they do have second hand stuff but as the guy told me it all depends on the inflow of used stuff.

James

The only other two music shops would be RnB and Prosound. RnB have a few used pieces of gear but never loads. Last time I was in a Gibson (electric solid body with almost EMG style pick ups. Unfamilar with the model though) caught my eye and before that a Trace Elliot class A valve amp...you'd have to go in and have a look or email...www.rbmusic.co.uk is their site.

There probably is a gap in the market for a small 2nd-hand music equipment shop here. There used to be a few, years ago...including Transrad in Rosemount (I got a Hofner bass, and a nice old Marshall 4x12 which I wish I still had). Also Abbotsford Acoustics in King St...I got a tiny 6 into 2 mixer there, which I gave to Shawn the Ox about ten years later. (I also got a hideously awful combo called a 'Londoner' *shudder*). I can't recall if Middleton Music did second-hand stuff though.

There was something music-y on Union St, round about where Beans coffee shop is...I got my first guitar there (a Columbus bass).

Guest Gasss

There used to be a shop on George Street that sold second hand gear. I remember the guy had a Wem Copycat there that he refused to sell.

They went out of business pretty soon afterwards.

The only other two music shops would be RnB and Prosound. RnB have a few used pieces of gear but never loads. Last time I was in a Gibson (electric solid body with almost EMG style pick ups. Unfamilar with the model though) caught my eye and before that a Trace Elliot class A valve amp...you'd have to go in and have a look or email...www.rbmusic.co.uk is their site.

Gibsno LS-5 if i am not mistaken

RnB and Prosound are the only 'music' shops that have secondhand gear, but neither have much, check out places like cash converters and by xhchange on george street, occasionally they get some guitars and stuff in (though cash converters still have their impressively large rack of utterly shite guitars) i know by xchange had a gibson sg in the window for abuot 500 i think, not sure if its still there though

keep an eye on the wanted/for sale bit here too, there are guitars and stuff that pop up there, which are usually for sale in the aberdeen area (or the seller can be met here usually) i got my last electric from the ads here, and it is bloody amazing

David

Guest DustyDeviada
Hey all-

New in town' date=' kinda dumb question - Is there a store in town that actually has a respectable amount of used gear in Aberdeen somewhere, or are they all like Bruce Millers?

Thanks!

Son[/quote']

having moved here from the states I am pretty certain that you are going to be disappointed with the new AND used gear you will find in Aberdeen. Much higher prices and much worse selection than just about any store in the US.

BTW, did you manage to set up the blues band that you had a thread about a while back?

BTW' date=' did you manage to set up the blues band that you had a thread about a while back?[/quote']

My band is in the works, and I'm hoping that I'll have a solid line up in the next week or so. I haven't been on t he ground here all that long and I've been content to lay low and scout the clubs and the other bands. Until my band is ready to go I've got a couple of solo gigs booked to keep active and sane. Be a good workout but not really the same as a rippingly loud set of electric blues....

No worries about the gear selection, I'm sure you're right. So far my impression is that the music stores I've seen are really like the small alaskan stores. Because of that I'm used to getting stuff I need second hand through classifieds or ebay or places like this. This post has been a good reality check.

Then again, what a great excuse for a road trip. Last time I was in London I'd about have gone broke on a 50-watt marshall half-stack.

There used to be a shop on George Street that sold second hand gear. I remember the guy had a Wem Copycat there that he refused to sell.

They went out of business pretty soon afterwards.

That'll have been Abbotsford acoustics...its was owned and run by Marlene and Graham Ross....Marlene is Runrigs manager, so not selling you a copycat will have had little bearing on the closure of the shop....

Are you still looking for a copycat?

Guest Gasss

That's good to hear

As for the copycat, probably not. I use an analogue delay now and don't think I could be bothered with the maintainence/sacredness.