aberdeen-music

Aberdeen University Rector

Snowball

Apparently the promoter/owner of Liquid nightclub is going to be the sole nominee for Rector. A student stopped me today and tried to get me to sign the nomination form. Is it just me that thinks the uni will be a laughing stock if he manages it? The uni already fellates Liquid enough as it is, what with the Freshers Week affiliation and over promotion. Have I got this wrong? Does anyone else have any information?

Just imagine it, everyone else with newsreaders and sporting legends and Aberdeen with... some dude from a shitty nightclub that promotes binge drinking. Sigh.

I'm surprised that the university will allow it - it's no secret that Liquid have bought their way into university life, but again, it's not like anyone else actually wanted the job in the first place.

Locally, it's probably a great thing for the university - all the oil companies that associate with the university can have corporate nights out at Liquid and everyone wins, but it won't do anything for the university on a national scale - but then again, the previous one didn't either.

Incidentally, Liquid is probably the only club that takes their responsibilities as far as binge drinking deadly seriously - so it's not fair to level that accusation at them.

What do they do? I'm not trying to be offensive or start an argument' date=' but how can they have 1.50 nights yet take the threat of binge drinking seriously?[/quote']

It's all about attitude - doesn't matter how cheap your drink is, what matters is how you approach it and how you deal with it. It's hard to describe, but look at the attitudes of Liquid and Moshulu compared to say Jumpin' Jaks and the Cotton Club - all four places arguably have had stupidly cheap drink, yet all the trouble happens at the latter two places. Why? Because the latter two places don't give a stuff about what happens and what the consequences are, but the first two do.

I'd be far more concerned about the fact that Liquid can afford all this advertising but can't afford to pay their staff more than minimum wage more than anything else, to be honest.

i have to say that i've been to liquid twice since i got back to aberdeen, and it's just a normal student club..

i was wary at first coz i thouhgt it would be full of burberry and nouly-bashin types.. but it's actually quite fun, with some funky choons gettin played, it's just a great place to go dance ur ass off and not get accosted by drunks left right n centre..

and according to 'binge-drinking', most places have nights where they sell drinks at rock bottom prices, but it's not to promote binge-drinking, it's purely to get people through their doors n fill the buildings capacity..

if you want to start a discussion about the promotion of binge drinking, then start with the possible new law of 24hour drinking licenses.. i know it will mean u wont be downin more drinks before closing time, but it certainly will mean drinking for a hell of a lot longer, binging isn't the amount of alcohol consumed in an hour, its the amount consumed in one night of drinking alcoholic beverages non-stop.

This may sound stupid.....but can't you just nominate someone yourself to be rector??? or is it too late now????

Why not find someone yourself - famous or not?

Normally all you have to do is fill out a form from the SRC and get some mates to sponsor the "nominee" and then hope people vote for that person!

I remember a few years ago someone nominated their Grannie to be rector at Glasgow University. She lost out to Grant from Eastenders (who got sacked as he was crap)

Guest davetherave

"The Rector, an ancient post dating back to the foundation of the University in 1495."

This pretty much sums up Aberdeen University as an organisation, (I've worked for them I know) with the exception of a handful of staff, AU is stuck in some sort of timewarp. (cue twilight zone music).

But I guess I'm heavily biased as I now work for a forward thinking, vocational based and focused University......RGU.

:D

Dave

www.dave33.btinternet.co.uk

Always expect the unexpected

Guest Ancient Mariner

This is more serious than people are acknowledging. I was talking to a wealthy English guy on our History of Art trip to Edinburgh yesterday, and he chose Aberdeen above some redbrick ex-polytechnic, as it is one of the oldest Universities in the country. We have an excellent writer-in-residence in Alan Spence, and unless we want to be left with the kind of careering opportunists who currently attend the redbricks and ex-polytechnics (like RGU), then we should have a respectable, intelligent, educated and international rector as well.

Students of the parish! Nominate Tony Benn!

This is more serious than people are acknowledging. I was talking to a wealthy English guy on our History of Art trip to Edinburgh yesterday' date=' and he chose Aberdeen above some redbrick ex-polytechnic, as it is one of the oldest Universities in the country. We have an excellent writer-in-residence in Alan Spence, and unless we want to be left with the kind of careering opportunists who currently attend the redbricks and ex-polytechnics (like RGU), then we should have a respectable, intelligent, educated and international rector as well.

Students of the parish! Nominate Tony Benn![/quote']

It's almost like Aberdeen are trying to turn themselves into a laughing stock. After all, they did go from having one of the country's most applauded student unions to having fuck all. What the fuck are they playing at?

Still better than RGU though (been to both).

I heard Robin Harper (Green MSP) was up for the job.

If not' date=' hey, I'll put my name forward.[/quote']

Good to hear that there are going more than just the one candidate. I've found that Aberdeen University has been plummeting downhill with regard to about everything just since I started, and I'm a third year. But I would rather it was stuck in a time warp than be as specific and career focused as RGU.

Guest Ancient Mariner
I heard Robin Harper (Green MSP) was up for the job.

He would be perfect. I've no love for his party, but he's suitably alternative, and a dissenting voice too

Liquid's not that bad although i do think it's a bit shite that it's so deeply affiliated with the University. Some of the people in my lectures haven't even been to another club (after nearly 2 years up here). I go tits at the thought of liquid having a monopoly on things like freshers week. As for the club itself, i don't mind it, weeknights are cheap as chips, there's always 300+ people in it after 11/12, it's clean and it's a rare place to be if you're single.