aberdeen-music

Lets have some positive feedback...

Neil

Okay people, with The People's Court TV thing fast approaching I've been frantically getting the defence prepared. The witness has been selected (don't reveal yourself yet though!) and I'm collecting some great evidence from some of you privately. However, I would like to collate some general feedback from you all - not really just for The People's Court thing but more for my own curiosity more than anything else. I don't believe I've actually ever asked people to tell me about the positive aspects of aberdeen-music.com (maybe there isn't any!?) or how it has made a difference to them, their band, their venue etc.

So what am I after? Well, I would just like any of you reading this to just post a reply to this thread with a few sentences, paragraphs, even an essay if you want to, describing anything positive that has happened to you thanks to this web site. Are you now in a band that would not have been formed if it was not for aberdeen-music.com? Is your new best friend someone who you first talked to on aberdeen-music.com? Is the best gig you have been to thanks to seeing it on this web site first? I know sounds all very cheesy but Im really after any positive feedback like this. It isn't a ploy to boost my ego any further but I just simply want to know if aberdeen-music.com is doing any "good" out there.

Note: I MAY use some or all of the replies in this thread on The People's Court as evidence. If there were to happen then your post(s) would be completely anonymous - not even your aberdeen-music.com username would be revealed. So, remember, by replying to this thread you are granting me permission to possibly use the contents of your post.

Please keep on-topic on this thread - it will be heavily moderated. No, I'm not trying to "censor" any negative feedback about aberdeen-music.com - it's just not welcome on this particular thread and so if something negative does get posted then it will get moved to the Comments & Suggestions forum. Where, incidentally, all positive and negative feedback regarding any element of the web site or staff is always welcome. :)

Many thanks in advance for your co-operation everyone.

thanks to this sitei have met my best friend. it may sound completely stupid, but i really don't know where i'd be without this person now if i hadn't got to know him on a-m first :) it's also broadened my music taste & the amount of gigs i go to. before i wouldn't have gone to a local gig just because i wouldn't have wanted to 'waste 4 on entry'. but now it's more of a case of finding out about new bands & paying that door fee. and.. well.. it passes time. i should have been revising for my highers last year, but instead i wasted all my time on aberdeen-music :D

i'd write more but i'm orf owt in a minute :) more to follow (possibly)

Guest Zeenat Aman

This site has allowed me to meet many good friends and musicians, out of which a lot of good oppertunities to play in/with various bands and record etc have arisen. Just the other evening I recieved a pm which, with a bit of hard work and good luck, will hopefully give my sundaramusic solo venture a chance to be heard through a CD release.

Basically, aberdeen-music.com has opened many doors, both musical and friendship wise, most of which just wouldn't have happened with out the site.

:)

Through advertising on this website I found my band Red Man Walking. Since the band formed in 2002, we have toured the UK, played a short American tour, released a cd through local label Fat Hippy Records and played a number of successful local gigs, all of which have been promoted/advertised on aberdeen-music.com

If I hadn't posted on this site, I never would have joined the band and had all the great experiences I have had the past 3 years. I continue to use the website on a daily basis to promote my band, my management/promotion company Dead Anyway and all the other artists I represent and talk with like minded people.

The website is a vital tool for unsigned local bands, for people with an interest in music of all styles and for people to get their views across on any topic (Wasteland).

Thanks again to the team for all their hard work.

Greig

Dead Anyway Management

www.deadanyway.com

I can't remember how long I have been using the site for. Since the old days of Chris #2 hitting 2000 posts and such like! I think its one of the main reasons I got involved in the Aberdeen music scene. From going to gigs, meeting new and interesting people, having good debates/discussions online and even helping with playing in a bands. Its really been a good tool (if you will?) to have at my disposal. I think for alot of people it has become part of their day and something that's merged into their day to day life.

Guest davetherave

I'm fairly new to Aberdeen Music.com but its already enabled me to discover some great local music and meet some damn nice people. It's also helped put me in touch with local promoters, allowing me to play 2 gigs this year, thanks to AM and IM. :)

:cheers:

Dave

always expect the unexpected

www.dave33.btinternet.co.uk

this site will be the death of me... and probably neil and jimmy too..

but what the hey

we love it

it's a monster that got out of control

but the internets a scary place... we need some place to go... where everybody knows your name.. and their sometimes glad you came... it's our corner of the interwideweb

viva la aberdeen-music.com :up:

It's been great for meeting new people - the amount of people you meet in moshulu etc these days and you find out you know them from them boards is quite amusing. Have certainly gained a large network of new friends through these boards (not sure if that's a good or bad thing at times ;)... I mean... er.. nah it's all good)

Getting work - wouldn't have started flyering for Moshulu had it not been for communications via this website. Getting drinking money each week is most certainly a good thing.

And obviously, last but most importantly:

Finding out when the good gigs are on and keeping up to date with all the news from aberdeen bands, venues and promoters is fantastic, you just wouldn't be able to be so "in the know" if everything had to be by word of mouth, posters and press releases. This website bridges the gaps, and allows you to find these things out as soon and they're announced or sometimes as soon as they're even confirmed. It also allows you to check finer details by just asking in the same thread etc, which is very useful.

The fact bands can also communicate with each other to get gigs, and do some of the actual organisation on here is another bonus to add to the many pros of having this website available.

Makes you wonder what it'd be like if you didn't know about or have access to aberdeen-music at times.

All in all, I enjoy posting on here, I enjoy reading people's posts, I enjoy being able to find out the exact particulars of gigs I want to go to.

And that's about it... :help:

Viva le Aberdeen-music...

Guest tv tanned

I have discovered a wide variety of local bands through use of this site since 2002.

Who would have thought that looking for info on the aberdeen music scene while i should have been revising for my finals would have led this far?!?!

I have also met many really cool and interesting people through the site, and have found others who share similar music, movie and leisure interests where previously we might never have met.

All in all, this site is a fantastic community, giving local bands the kind of exposure that you just can't buy elsewhere, and has helped people like me find some real hidden treasures in the aberdeen music scene.

In short, I don't know what the hell anybody's problem with the concept of this site is. There may be a few dodgers in the mix, but you'll get them in all walks of life. In short, if you're going to highlight the negative, you have to acknowledge the positive and there's far more of the latter.

The defence rests m'lud.

lol, I was waiting for that ha ha.

Well, Aberdeen-music, its firstly (in my eyes), a decent place to start if you want to get a band off the going. Its a great place to chat about music. I have met loads of cool people from this site that I otherwise wouldnt know.

In a sense, Ab-music is like an Online,music related Yellow Pages.

I've made a lot of good friends like Hog and Cloud through this site that have moved into real life, i also got involved in various ventires through this site that I would never have done before and it has led to many free cuips of tea at the bassment/moshulu :rockon:

Of course its cliquey and some people come across better than others but thats what everything is like.

Cheers

Stuart

Because of this site Onion Terror gigs are well-attended, and due to the heavy traffic and the use of our own forum word of a gig or anything else gets around fast. The social aspect, from the yearly barbeque to the weekly night at moshulu are much more enjoyable and about the only bad thing regarding the site is that you end up calling people by their user names. Anyone who decides to abuse or moan about the site is completely forgetting what it's all about, and doesn't deserve the use of such a fantastic tool.

Aberdeen-Music is awesome, i dont post very often, but i browse it about 4 times daily, and i like seeing what everyone has to say. Its great for buying/selling as i bought both my basses and sold my amp over the equipment forum.

The arguements which frequently break out are also great entertainment.

what would i do without this place, i ask myself...

Regards,

Bob

Great for finding out about even the most poorly-promoted gigs. From a club promoter's point of view, opens up venues like Kef and Snafu to a varied audience.

I think the vast majority who use the forum realise that individual opinions are just that, and do not reflect the opinion of the admin.

SEE YOU AT Q-BERT!!!

Gomes

Aberdeen-music is the heart and soul of Aberdeen's music scene. If it wasnt for this site then people wouldnt form as many bands, they couldnt buy/sell equpment, couldnt exchange musical "tips", couldnt give feeback to bands about gigs, couldnt find out as much about gigs....the list is endless! Personally aberdeen-music has aided my knowledge of bands in aberdeen, where/when they play and have met really cool people on here. If someone isnt happy about the sight then just take that negativity and weight it up with all the positive things that aberdeen-music does, i think you;ll find the positive stuff outrules any negative things!

Formed my first band via this website.

Jammed with many different people through here.

Made many many good friends that I can always rely on.

I'm sure it's helped some people to get laid (stick in there Hog! :D )

Found out about good gigs, good nights, good times and good activities through this.

It's an addiction in my life but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Mark

(p.s - bring back bravenet!! :) )