aberdeen-music

Is there room for humour in music??

Guest F.A._FEEDER

Guest F.A._FEEDER

Why i've never been so insulted in my life!

Is there room for humour in music or do you think that it's a bad idea to have a laugh while listening to music. i.e. would you rather listen to a song about how to commit suicide to a death metal soundtrack than something that will make your day a bit brighter.

Guest F.A._FEEDER

Well, i like a few bands with humour, not 'comedy' bands as such, comedy to me would be ;aqua(barbie girl),songs by soap stars and comeidians, kids songs, you know Mr Blobby and all that shite but what i'm talking about is bands like madness, tenacous d, bowling for soup, peter and the test tube babies, dead kennedys(contraversial but funny, in a sick way), frank zappa and bands like that. Is there room for that in todays music???

Totally, gosh, a bit of humour can make my day.

I saw this band called MYBE in Drakes a while ago and they were funny as. I sat for most of the set in a fit of the giggles. I did buy the CD but it hasn't had many spins yet.

Mu330 also have some comedy tunes. As do Feable Weiner, the Bouncing Souls and All, roffle at the lyrics.

Toilet humour and the like. I'm not growing up any time soon. :)

Or would you rather listen to death metal?

Thats pretty retarded. if you knew anything about death metal you would realise there is more humour in that then in most other genres of music.

Take Carcass for example; they had an awesomely dark sense of humour - eg most of their song titles. The early ones being medical bullshit, then later moving on to ironic takes on real songs, i.e. 'keep on rotting in the free world' etc

Also their album artworks were collages of pictures of gorey meat, yet the band themselves were vegies...

Cannibal Corpse - all their song are stupidly OTT titles about gore/killing/torture and other violent subjects etc, yet the band are just normal people, not mentalists trying to make people kill themselves. So much so that one of the guitarists also plays in a country and western band...

various other bands such as Agrophobic Nosebleed have song titles like "when taking a shit feels sexy" - hardly serious.

A piece of trenchantly observed wit is fine, but music that's designed to be funny can take it's big red clown nose and shove it up its arse. Death Metal is surely inherently funny for the gap between its image/subject material, and its practitioners.(Gorgorgorgoroth the Arse budgeoner-In reality some uber polite wee guy called Colin or something) Life is funny enough without some cunt's 'comedy' numbers.

I would say humbug, but its not the season for that.

Guest davetherave

IMHO Zappa was one of the cleverest musical humourists around. Bobby Brown (goes down) always makes me laugh, and catholic girls brings a wry smile to this aetheists face too. There are many more worthy of mention but I'll not ramble on!

Tenacious D are also worth a mention especially the "fuck you softly" track?, straight and to the point but very funny. :)

I'm currently listening to the Apocalypse Now soundtrack, which is about as funny as having your private parts nibbled by a shoal of hungry pirahna fish (good soundtrack tho).

:cheers:

Dave

www.dave33.btinternet.co.uk

music that tries hard to be funny just isnt (every comedy record ever made)

music that tries to be too serious is usually pretty fucking funny (U2/Radiohead for example)

cool music with humour in it? (The Cramps)

I dont really understand the question actually, or if I do i cant beleive its being asked....yeh of course there fucking is, just like you can have ANY other emotional state/human condition reflected in it (apart from gay lust for satans bum hole - see metal)

rules fucking rules fuck rules

spunk

music that tries to be too serious is usually pretty fucking funny (U2/Radiohead for example)

I wouldn't say Radiohead try to make their music too serious. Not all the time anyway. E.g Karma police isn't serious at all, and some of the lyrics alwasys make me smile. "her hitler hairdo is making me feel ill" :D

The Smiths and Mr Bungle wouldn't exist (lyrically anyway) if there wasn't room for humour in music. And that, to me, would be a Very Bad Thing.

However, I cannae be arsed with lyrics that try too hard to be funny. As mentioned by someone, they always fail. The dry wit of Morrissey and absurdism of some of Patton's lyrics are great, but most attempts at humour (usually by American bands to be honest) are just terrible.

I also cannae be arsed with the attempts at non-lyrical humour by American bands, eg when Kurt Cobain used to act the goat. It wasn't funny, he just looked like he was trying to be funny, and was failing. Most Foo Fighter's videos are examples of that too, although sometimes they can be slightly mirthsome for the first couple of times.