aberdeen-music

Are valves easy to change?

Dan G

Originally posted by General Ermintrude:

Am I right in thinking that ,if the HT fuse keeps blowiing, then the power valves are up fuck street? Should the HT fuse be fast or slow burn? (1973 50w Marshall Artiste)

Yes thats a sure sign that a power amp valve is fucked...the fuse should be a slow blow I believe

I cant remember what power valves were fitted to those amps but its ok to replace them with el34's with some minor adjustments and biasing.

Originally posted by Tav:

Hmm I dunno but valve amps have lethal voltages in them so I wouldn't go in. Once you turn them off there's still voltages lurking around.

If you unplug the amp and leave the power and standby switches on for 20 mins or so...its then safe enough to work on.

FYI, I phoned Marshall and asked them to quote me on a re-valve. They said they won't do it that way, but instead will collect your amp and give it a full once over, then phone you and tell you what it needs and will cost before proceeding. If you don't wanna do it, they'll send it back and all you'll have paid is a measly few quid for the postage down and back. Like I said, they did mine and it's the best it EVER sounded. I figure it probably got some abuse and mis-use in the shop before I bought it, but now it's uber reliable, runs at a nice temperature, and sounds kickass.

Guest redmeat
Originally posted by craig deadenstereo:

Look, all this electrocuting yourself bullshit isn't going to happen.

I wouldn't count on it

Just change them yourself. I've done it hundreds of times, no probs.

I don't believe that for a second

All this shipping it to Marshall stuff is a load of crap: it will be expensive and you'll not have your amp for a while.

Marshall has arguably the best service in the world (I don't even play a marshall)

The biasing stuff is bullshit as well, you're not really going to notice a difference, and putting in new valves will not blow up your amp.

?????????

http://www.watfordvalves.com/pdfs/guitaristv02-01_biasing.pdf

biasing isnt necessary when you revalve an amp.

but if the valves are different (which is very likely) they will run slightly colder, and not sounds as good, or run hotter, which will sound good but will wear out the valves much quicker

so for best sound/valve life, its best to make sure the amp is biased properly

i would check out some of the guides on the net about rebiasing, if you feel you could do it yourself, and have the equipment, then give it a go, worstcase you could always get it rebiased again by a pro if you really screw things up

if you arent too sure, then get it done by a pro, marshall seem like a good bet from what others have said about their after sales help

David

got my valves through the post yesterday.

Took the back off myself, changed JUST the pre-amp valves and it worked fine! So thanks to all those who gave advice. I didn't fancy fixing the power/output valves - with all that biasing etc - so it was lucky it was just a pre-amp problem!

I also didn't kill myself. :)