aberdeen-music

The General Election

delboy

well the UK's worst kept secret has finally been revealed, the general election is to be held on may 5th.

any thoughts? anyone care? whose gonna vote? it might be closer than what we've been led to believe since a guardian poll put labour just three points ahead of the tories.

lord knows who to vote for in northern ireland!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well the UK's worst kept secret has finally been revealed' date=' the general election is to be held on may 5th.

any thoughts? anyone care? whose gonna vote? it might be closer than what we've been led to believe since a guardian poll put labour just three points ahead of the tories.

lord knows who to vote for in northern ireland![/quote']

Well, Labour will win as the Tories and Lib dems are unelectable... Maybe Labour's majority will suffer a big dent and they will have to pay attention to their back benchers.

Sein Fein is the best option in Northern Ireland i'd say ;)

i honestly believe it might be though i'm going into this election with an open mind which means i shall do what i did in 2001 when i voted for the first time in 11 years - look round the websites of the parties that are standing and go for what i think is the best option.

Guest tv tanned
I'll be voting lib dems' date=' who currently hold my constituency. I'm looking forward to the snp failing miserably at these elections.[/quote']

how friendly.

i deliberately chose to stay out of this thread, but it seems that even when I do people cannot help but play negative politics.

so come on then, why do you want us to 'fail miserably' at these elections?

i've just bought and watched all 12 episodes of 80's comedy 'the young ones' and there is a lesson within in why you should never vote tory though at least thatcher isnt PM these days.....

i hope its at least close, i'm pretty sure labour will win a third term but i love election night especially watching peter snow wank over his swingometer like a deranged baboon!

Well i dislike the snp, one because i completely disagree with many not all of their policies, but it is the way they operate which really gets me. They are by far the most negative of parties. In my area they are known to have used campainging methods which they are not allowed to. Generally most SNP MP's or MSP's from my experience are determined to stir trouble in any way possible if there is the slightest angle they can use against another party. They take false information and conjecture to the people in the press on their side to "create" stories with the aim of stirring up trouble, the list goes on.

Guest tv tanned
Well i dislike the snp' date=' one because i completely disagree with many not all of their policies, but it is the way they operate which really gets me. They are by far the most negative of parties. In my area they are known to have used campainging methods which they are not allowed to. Generally most SNP MP's or MSP's from my experience are determined to stir trouble in any way possible if there is the slightest angle they can use against another party. They take false information and conjecture to the people in the press on their side to "create" stories with the aim of stirring up trouble, the list goes on.[/quote']

What exactly is negative about wanting your country to be independent?

I rather think the parties who constantly tell us Scotland couldn't survive independently are being negative.

But then maybe I'm missing something there.

My first vote *gets exctied*

I'm looking forward to all the pretty leaflets coming through the door soon. :D

dealing with them when they come round is a great way of relieving stress especially when its a party you have no intention of voting for!

Guest tv tanned
I'm voting Labour' date=' as I've done in every election for the past ten years. I've been attracted to the SNP more since Salmond was re-elected leader, but I'm still not fully convinced that separatism is a sustainable option in the short to medium term. It would take a long, long time for an independent Scotland to build a strong economy, and the inevitable tax rises and unemployment that would follow independence just seem too high a price to pay for self government.[/quote']

I'm interested why you think it is inevitable.

I rather think that attaining the prosperity of other independent small nations, particularly since many of them lack the natural resources and potential of Scotland, is significantly more inevitable.

What exactly is negative about wanting your country to be independent?

I rather think the parties who constantly tell us Scotland couldn't survive independently are being negative.

But then maybe I'm missing something there.

I meant negative in the way they operate, i don't find the independence policy negative or positive, it's just one i dont believe in. My country is indepentant. Scotland is just an area of that country, as is england, wales and northern ireland.

The worst thing about this election, is that the only likely outcomes are that, the counrty stays the same, or it gets worse. :down:

i for one have always been all for scottish independence so they can stop blaming the english when it all goes wrong.

to be fair i dont see why scottish independence shouldnt work in theory but if there's one thing i learned about the scots in my 12 or so years in your fine country is that you have a tendacy to squabble amongst yourselves far too much....