aberdeen-music

Insenstive Newspaper

Birdman

Sunday 3rd April 2005 (3 days after Pope's demise)

I was in the Thainstone Market on Sunday and couldn't help but notice the overflowing amount of eulogies offered by all the national newspapers on the death of the Pope. It was almost touching!

Until I saw the headline on one specific paper...

It read

"I was roasted by TWO Eastenders Stars" - No prizes in guessing the paper.

(not birdman)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

shut up spastic.

(Not Birdman)

.;lzkil;i mzli; mxzl i ;mxzclim ;zx l; izxl ;zxvl;iza;l.vazolzvaolkls,d.;,kkj,cxzdio8ure8945984io :nono: klj,e c dxlk,.;colfdcxoi fdcoifdc p olfx dcpolfco :cheers::down::band: plif copliofcpl : cheers: :down:

It's not that the pope meant so much to me' date=' it's kind of annoying the way he came into the thread and tried to make it all about him.[/quote']

Why, because I said he meant fuck all to me? Okay, to put things in persepctive I'll rephrase it: The pope meant fuck all to around 5 billion people - I just happen to be one of them.

but he meant a helluva lot to roughly 1 billion people so i think it's fair to say his death is more important and newsworthy than sexual shenanigans of premiership footballers. which is what this thread was about' date=' not how much he meant to bob.[/quote']

I don't think there's anything wrong in making a simple statement about your feelings on a subject. I couldn't give a shit for him, the sexual shenanigans of premiership footballers (wasn't it Eastenders stars a minute ago?) almost seems interesting in comparison to his passing. Let's face it, there will be another Pope along shortly and I will feel the same way about him as I did about his predecessor. Not very much.

I'm sure though, as you've stated, he probably does mean a lot to some people.

I wonder for instance how much he means to people in Africa who now have Aids because the Catholic Church has continued to promote it's doctrine of using no contraception - incorrectly preaching to people who do not have many alternative sources of information that condoms are completely ineffective and "evil"? I'm sure his death means something to them... since they'll soon be prematurely joining him.

Of course the difference is while people like Pope John Paul II receive the best medical treatment in the world and die of old age, the victims of his ignorance-promoting Church suffer a painful drawn out death with little medication, or help of any kind, and often leave behind families including orphaned children to fend for themselves.

That would be an interesting front page article, wouldn't you agree? Very heartfelt.

Nah, I'd rather read about the mad romps of Premiership footballers than hear drivel about "the pope of the underdog" (underdogs, you mean, like in Africa?) and the rubber-necked grandstanders currently "grieving" and "making pilgrimage" to see him.

Insensitive newspapers? Let's not forget the insensitive Pope.

I don't think there's anything wrong in making a simple statement about your feelings on a subject. I couldn't give a shit for him' date=' the sexual shenanigans of premiership footballers (wasn't it Eastenders stars a minute ago?) almost seems interesting in comparison to his passing. Let's face it, there will be another Pope along shortly and I will feel the same way about him as I did about his predecessor. Not very much.

I'm sure though, as you've stated, he probably does mean a lot to some people.

I wonder for instance how much he means to people in Africa who now have Aids because the Catholic Church has continued to promote it's doctrine of using no contraception - incorrectly preaching to people who do not have many alternative sources of information that condoms are completely ineffective and "evil"? I'm sure his death means something to them... since they'll soon be prematurely joining him.

Of course the difference is while people like Pope John Paul II receive the best medical treatment in the world and die of old age, the victims of his ignorance-promoting Church suffer a painful drawn out death with little medication, or help of any kind, and often leave behind families including orphaned children to fend for themselves.

That would be an interesting front page article, wouldn't you agree? Very heartfelt.

Nah, I'd rather read about the mad romps of Premiership footballers than hear drivel about "the pope of the underdog" (underdogs, you mean, like in Africa?) and the rubber-necked grandstanders currently "grieving" and "making pilgrimage" to see him.

Insensitive newspapers? Let's not forget the insensitive Pope.[/quote']

im with you on this one bro x

and you really can't blame africa's problems soley on the pope. how about you look at people like thabo mbeki who until recently believed that aids was an exaggeration and wouldn't take it seriously or the medical companies who hold the patents to life prolonging drugs yet refuse to budge on the price for their use in the third world. is there in fact the education structure in place in africa to not only distribute contraceptives but to educate the masses on their correct use and why?

don't get me wrong i'm not saying the pope was the greatest person in the world and i'm certainly not a catholic but it's ridiculous to blame all the worlds ills on his doorstep. admittedly his postition on contraception was in dire need of updating. the point is that this wasn't a thread for people to show how clever and anti-religion they are, it was a thread about respect for the leader of 1 billion catholics who has passed away after leading a fairly remarkable and long life. he did more good than any other pope and in times of death people remember the good in people and not the bad.

i don't think anyones trying to convert people here, just trying to persuade folks to show some respect, whether you cared for the pope or not. if you didn't care then why even post in this thread? it has nothing to do with you and serves no purpose other than to antagonise those who do care.

I don't agree wiht the popes beliefs or like what he stood for, but but to a lot of people he was the most important person on th planet, and the immediate days after his death is not the time to put him down and criticise him. Certainly there was no story more important to more peopleto be worthy of a front page story.

I think bob might just be saying that to people who dont belive in god or have a faith, the pope did not play a significant part in their lives.

yes its sad he died, and death comes to us all. but for those of us with no relgious beliefs, we dont want to read about him 24/7 now. We want to read about other things..(mind you, im not sure id want to read THAt lol)

The probably arnt' date=' but i imagine they benefit his life a lot more than the pope ever did.[/quote']

HAHA

How many of us here are Catholics? And out of that number, how many of us visit church on a regular basis? And out of that tiny minority, how many of us actually took 2 seconds to think about how great the Pope was when he was still alive?

Not many? No?

Just because somebody dies doesn't mean to say we should like them any more than when they were still alive.

Make sense? Or are too many people just scared of the voodoo surrounding the death of God's Chosen One?

Kay, I know that likely made no sense, but..