aberdeen-music

For anyone in Edinburgh tonight

jon

Please come and save us from the vitriol of drunken old men...

deadenstereo (yes, ghosts we are)

The Central Bar

bottom of Leith Walk

Edinburgh

FREE and loads of cheapo booze.

Come and see some inappropriately placed Rock and/or Roll this fine Edinburgh evening.

If we can get enough people to dissuade the aged bottle throwers, I'll kiss everyone.

PS True story - we went in for a pint the other day only to witness a paraplegic fling himself out of his wheelchair to attack the barman, whohad refused to serve him cos he was wasted. Now you *have* to come along...

I lived down there for a while' date=' and there was guy who killed someone in his house, cut off his hand and walked round Great Junction Street tapping people on the shoulder with it.[/quote']

thats a very good story, one i may add to my vast collection of tales if you dont mind.do you have more facts?

Leith

As one who has lived in leith for 18 years thats quite a fairly average tale, but heres my favorites - strange how they mostly have to do with leith walk....

1) about 4 years ago the owner of the mermaid chip bar (bottom of leith walk) cut of his penis and deep fat fried it before being arrested and wisked of to some suitable mental assylum (what happened to the fried penis, no one knows - yum)

2) The Cowboy - a man who always roams the streets of leith walk in full cowboy uniform asking for wiskey and shooting you with his imaginary guns (this may be related to the penis story)

3) In a slightly grimmer term there was the beheaded man found in the water of leith around 1-2 years ago but he had a penis i think...

Hope the gig went well!

I love Leith. A friend of mine lived there for 3 years and we had some great weekends in the area.

One of the best moments was a pub crawl which started in the wanky new pubs down at the waterfront and slowly snaked it's way back to Leith Walk. We were walking around North Junction Street trying to find our next pub when we happened upon somewhere called The Vine. This place hadn't been done up since the 70s and if I recall correctly may not even have had a womens toilet. And all the customers had Begbie moustaches, even the women.

However instead of killing us as we expected, the locals took it upon themselves to lose graciously at pool and take it in turns to tell us stories and jokes until we left about 2 hours later. Great afternoon.