aberdeen-music

Phat Tom's plan to get buff: part 2

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Since I actually started dieting i've lost a bit of weight over the last couple of months and now I want to start working out to tone up a bit :rockon:

I want to join a gym but I don't know what Aberdeen has to offer. I'm pretty poor so I'd prefer to start with a less up market one but I just don't have a clue what the choice is. :help:

Can anyone provide assistence?

do you have a bike? i found cycling really good. cheap too (if you already have one) and more intresting than a gym. apart from that' date=' i know nuthing!!

good luck![/quote']

hey did you find cycling in aberdeen ok? i kind of have a traffic phobia and theres lots of cars about in aberdeen. any good places to cycle traffic free? i think down by the river is the only place i know of.

phasing fizzy juice like irn bru is a good way to help your dieting along. then work on cutting out cheese and ice cream. i tried giving up chocolate but kept getting mad sugar cravings.

or if you're after a night out and *have* to get something from the takeaway, go for a chicken shish kebab, that with a bit of salad has only 300 calories, which isn't too bad compared to chips & cheese or a pizza.

hey did you find cycling in aberdeen ok? i kind of have a traffic phobia and theres lots of cars about in aberdeen. any good places to cycle traffic free? i think down by the river is the only place i know of.

phasing fizzy juice like irn bru is a good way to help your dieting along. then work on cutting out cheese and ice cream. i tried giving up chocolate but kept getting mad sugar cravings.

or if you're after a night out and *have* to get something from the takeaway' date=' go for a chicken shish kebab, that with a bit of salad has only 300 calories, which isn't too bad compared to chips & cheese or a pizza.[/quote']

The old railway line is the best place to cycle. No cars, just the occasional dog. You just have to watch out for the ones with idiot owners who have the leash set too far. Other than that, there's cycle lanes all the way to Peterculter and back... it's easy to get a good 12 mile or so cycle out of that.

I've stopped drinking this year (wasn't a new year resolution or anything, I just happened to decide earlier that Hogmanay would be my last piss up) and I've gone down about two and a half notches on my belt, compared with two notches when I just started walking to uni every day, which all got put back on thanks to christmas eating/inactivity. Stopping booze and fizzy drinks is the easiest way to lose a bit of flab.

Since I actually started dieting i've lost a bit of weight over the last couple of months and now I want to start working out to tone up a bit :rockon:

I want to join a gym but I don't know what Aberdeen has to offer. I'm pretty poor so I'd prefer to start with a less up market one but I just don't have a clue what the choice is. :help:

JJB has lots of good machines and a student membership (assuming you are one) is only 19.99 a month. The joining fee isn't as bad as some other ones either I don't think, although I joined when they had a "no joining fee" promotion. You only get to go before 5, but that's when it's nae busy anyway.

The showers are like Barlinnie though.

the one at bon accord baths-it's small but usually isn't busy,unless you go early evening but it's good for a quick workout between lectures/at lunchtime and stuff plus it's only a mere 1:90 for a student gym and swim and for that you get use of the facilities for as long as you want,there's no time limit on it.

the JJB gym's good but for the student membership,nice facilities but he hours you get to use it for are crap especially if you work in the evenings and weekends

the one at bon accord baths-it's small but usually isn't busy' date='unless you go early evening but it's good for a quick workout between lectures/at lunchtime and stuff plus it's only a mere 1:90 for a student gym and swim and for that you get use of the facilities for as long as you want,there's no time limit on it.

the JJB gym's good but for the student membership,nice facilities but he hours you get to use it for are crap especially if you work in the evenings and weekends[/quote']

Yeah, I was gunna say the same.

Guest *alex*

Apparently Credo is cheap(beside college) but it's not all that big, but there are classes there too so you could be Phat Tom kickboxer man..or somethin'. heh.

You should invest in a BMX, i bought one around Christmas from those decent people at 20Twenty Cycles, best money ive ever spent, its just great fun for mincing about on, and they are really really robust, so they take a good beating, but due to there "bling bling" chrome they can start to rust quickly if you dont take care of them...

But still, its an investment i will not regret for a long time, its even inspired me not to start driving yet, free nippy transport - always good

Regards,

Bob

I did notice your fit self at Emma's party after not seeing you in months. Good job. :)

There's always big tins in supermarkets instead of weights! See how my weight loss is going so slow...

Bannatynes... lovely. Go outside and get a whiff of the sewage going down there. They sacrifice safety for s.. Did you know that? Get and L-shaped swimming pool so you don't need to hire a lifeguard. Tut tut.

Guest Scorge Spike
get a half decent pair of trainers' date=' open your front door and run. fuck paying 30 a month just to do the same indoors.[/quote']

Amen. My blood boils every time I read Private Eye and realise another plot of ground that could be used for having a kick around/run/partake in various other sports has been turned into another fucking gym with obscene membership fees.

I'll be in the market for a bicycle soon.....

You should invest in a BMX' date=' i bought one around Christmas from those decent people at 20Twenty Cycles, best money ive ever spent, its just great fun for mincing about on, and they are really really robust, so they take a good beating, but due to there "bling bling" chrome they can start to rust quickly if you dont take care of them...

But still, its an investment i will not regret for a long time, its even inspired me not to start driving yet, free nippy transport - always good

Regards,

Bob[/quote']

Aye, my bmx was great til i got hit by a lorry on union street. Even the robust steel frame of a bmx can't stand up to that I'm afraid.

BMXs are great, just don't take them on roads. They don't tend to have as good brakes as mountain bikes.

Guest AmbientMood
To hell with gyms. Full of pompous pricks. Get a bike' date=' and get out to the country. :D[/quote']

Yeah I agree with this. The atmosphere in gyms is really shitty, temporary and plasticky I find. Everyone knows that it's their own vanity that has brought them there and no-one can really make eye contact with you (not that you want them or anything).

The idea of lifting weights for hours seems counter-productive to me. Get a bike with one gear ?? that could be fun...