aberdeen-music

Thee More Shallows, Delicate AWOL & Genaro - Sunday 10th April 2005

chilli

interesting music promotions are exceedingly excited to announce another evening of wonderful entertaininment, featuring one of our very favourite bands all the way from San Francisco USA & supporting artists we think are great.

Sunday 10th April 05

The Tunnels

Carnegie's Brae

Doors 8.00pm

Entrance 5.00

featuring

Thee More Shallows (Monotreme Label) (San Francisco usa)

Delicate AWOL (Day Release Records (Aberdeenshire)

Genaro (Benbecula Records) (Carluke)

Thee More Shallows

"More Deep Cuts" is the second album by the San Francisco band Thee More Shallows. Their debut album "A History of Sport Fishing" received glowing reviews likening them to a diverse host of bands, including Yo La Tengo, Grandaddy, Sparklehorse and GSYBE!, yet lauding them for being more than the sum of their influences. With their Sophomore release TMS have continued to evolve their sound, combining their trademark technicolor-blue vocal melodies with an extended range of sound collage. "More Deep Cuts" is about standing in place while the world whirls around you. As toy pianos and french horns crash into strings and decay into orchestras warped and bent beyond recognition, the sensible, ultra-clear voice of Dee Kesler provides a calm eye to the storm. And it is precisely this juxtaposition of chaos and calm, abandon and resolve, which makes "More Deep Cuts" so compelling.

http://www.monotremerecords.com

No 19 2004 readers poll http://playlouder.com/feature/+readerspoll-2/

Delicate AWOL

Delicate AWOL are Jim Version and Caroline Ross, currently also working with Neil Scollay, the drummer from Eric Euan, Danny Ashton, a guitarist from Huntly as well as Australian singer Kate Mutsaers and North East singer and musician Martha Buckingham. They create music between the cracks in their rock, jazz and folk influences, weaving in improvisational elements and occasional periods of frenetic polyrhythmic intensity, melded with layers of vocal harmony. Toured UK and EU widely and 10 dates in USA and Canada in 2003 for the second time, including Terrastock 5 in Boston, following Sonic Youth on the last night of the festival. Toured Toured USA and Canada 2000: including Terrastock festival 4, Casa Del Popolo (Montreal), Arlene Grocery (NYC), Schubas Tavern (Chicago). Recorded live sessions for John Kennedy Xfm. Air play includes Chiller Cabinet Classic FM, X-posure - XFM, BBC Radio 6 specials, Claire Sturgess, Paul Anderson of XFM, Sean Hughes and Gary Crowley of London Live, and John Peel R1, Northsound, BBC Radio Scotland, many stations in US, Poland, Italy, Ireland and EU, and all over the web on web radio sites. Run day Release Records, Steading Studio, and several music collectives and collaborations. Caroline sings and plays flute with Mark Beazleys London based Rothko. Caroline features on the Mountain Men Anonymous LP Krkonose and the forthcoming Alastair Roberts LP produced at AWOLs studio by Will Oldham. This year will see the release of their new LP Hope Your Wounds Heal on Nottinghams Fire Records, as well as a collaboration with composer and renowned trombonist John Kenny on a French record label.

Genaro

Genaro's immediate appeal was the strength of the songs and being able to provide a coherent and solid performance.* Their unique style lies in the emotive ability to mix pathos, humour, love and politics with melodies that seize even the most casual listener. Genaro's beginnings were in the late 90s when friends Craig Snape (vocals, guitar) and Derek Bates (bass) began writing songs together and formed a band that would play various venues in Glasgow such as King Tuts, The Garage and The Cathouse.* This band split in 2000 and as a result the duo teamed up with two other local musicians and friends, Dom Dixon (lead) and Daryl Kellie (synth, vocals), and Genaro was born.* The new band's first recorded offerings on 8 tracks were quickly noticed by the T-Break where they played in the heats in 2001. It was after this event that the group, although remaining great friends, went off to record solo projects, now and again teaming up for duo song writing sessions.* Much of this solo work was recorded and it was during the summer of 2003 that some of these demos were sent to Benbecula Records. Although not historically a "guitar" or "indie" music label, the latent talent in those early demos was immediately recognised as being something that the House of Benbecula could do something with, if only to promote the skills of the artists involved to something beyond their bedroom studios. Over the next few months and after various meetings with the band members it became obvious that the original 4 piece unit was the one that could release the greatest musical power.* The sum was indeed greater than the parts.* The band quickly got back into the rehearsal studio during the spring of 2004.* It was immediately obvious that the chemistry was still there, possibly more than had even been before.* Although they have 3 or 4 years of recording experience behind them, the band members are still only in their early 20s. The band quickly drew attention from national scouts and were invited to play at the prestigious In the City event in Manchester, September 2004. Genaro were guests at the Benbecula Showcase on 24th October 2004, The Arches. Glasgow, Robin Guthrie headlined & according to our spies "stole the show".

http://www.genaromusic.com/

Guest Zeenat Aman
Mr Philip you are teasing me; i hear snippets of rumour about Delicate AWOL's

practice sets for this show...........

Rehearsal's that I am not a part of X-( ... but if they manage to pull off the harmony singing that's on their new album live, it will be an uber-beautiful listening experience!!!

Thee More Shallows these are the quotes

"More Deep Cuts" is the second album by the San Francisco band Thee More Shallows. Their debut album "A History of Sport Fishing" received glowing reviews likening them to a diverse host of bands, including Yo La Tengo, Grandaddy, Sparklehorse and GSYBE, yet lauding them for being more than the sum of their influences. With their Sophomore release TMS have continued to evolve their sound, combining their trademark technicolor-blue vocal melodies with an extensive range of sound collage.

Select Press quotes:

This is a thing of impossible beauty - sweet, fierce, fragile, funny, heavy, strangely

skewed and independently-minded. It's Grandaddy, Elliott Smith, Queens of the

Stone Age, Swell, the glitchy side of Sparklehorse, Ralph Vaughan Williams and

Tortoise, kissed by neoclassical grace and grazed by white noise. It's goddamned

gorgeous. Time Out

Deeply addictive Uncut (4/5)

This is an utter heartwarming treasureOne of the most beautifully rewarding

albums youll hear this year. Do make the effort to find it, its special.

Organ Magazine (album of the week)

More Deep Cuts is a remarkable, mercurial masterpiece Rock Sound (8/10)

I've had a sneak preview of Awol's set and I can tell you it's awesome. Some truly beautiful and engaging songs. I am really looking forward to the full set.

See all of you there.

yes ive had a copy of the cd for a while. Jim & Caroline are in very fine form,

I keep saying a reference point amoungst others is Movietone?

So much looking forward to this show already.

• 2 weeks later...
Thee More Shallows these are the quotes

"More Deep Cuts" is the second album by the San Francisco band Thee More Shallows. Their debut album "A History of Sport Fishing" received glowing reviews likening them to a diverse host of bands' date=' including Yo La Tengo, Grandaddy, Sparklehorse and GSYBE, yet lauding them for being more than the sum of their influences. With their Sophomore release TMS have continued to evolve their sound, combining their trademark technicolor-blue vocal melodies with an extensive range of sound collage.

Select Press quotes:

This is a thing of impossible beauty - sweet, fierce, fragile, funny, heavy, strangely

skewed and independently-minded. It's Grandaddy, Elliott Smith, Queens of the

Stone Age, Swell, the glitchy side of Sparklehorse, Ralph Vaughan Williams and

Tortoise, kissed by neoclassical grace and grazed by white noise. It's goddamned

gorgeous. Time Out

Deeply addictive Uncut (4/5)

This is an utter heartwarming treasureOne of the most beautifully rewarding

albums youll hear this year. Do make the effort to find it, its special.

Organ Magazine (album of the week)

More Deep Cuts is a remarkable, mercurial masterpiece Rock Sound (8/10)[/quote']

Just a reminder the headliners one of two dates in Scotland.

This band are SPECIAL

This gig sounds tremendous. Really looking forward to hearing Delicate Awol again. It's been too long.

Yes, even tho' I say it myself, all @ interesting music are very excited by this line-up

all three have had BBC R3 Mixing It airplay, As said elsewhere Genaro were superb

@ the Benbecula showcase & stole the show. AWOL's new CD is totally excellent

(never heard Caroline singing better) plus the word coming out of AWOL HQ is that this show is going to be different........ she's also singing on the new ROTHCO release.

& as far as Thee More Shallows are concerned their releases deserve the Tunnels to

be full to bursting point. "t's Grandaddy, Elliott Smith, Queens of the Stone Age, Swell, the glitchy side of Sparklehorse, Ralph Vaughan Williams and Tortoise, kissed by neoclassical grace and grazed by white noise". A VERY SPECIAL BAND, that deserve a wider audience.

pass the word to those still in awe of music that can be life affirming, special

& can be moving...............

Guest stuartmaxwell

one is at a sailing event all weekend. very tempted to drive up from dundee on the sunday then drive back to glasgow that night

thee more shallows is worth it alone, not to mention da + genaro

one is at a sailing event all weekend. very tempted to drive up from dundee on the sunday then drive back to glasgow that night

thee more shallows is worth it alone' date=' not to mention da + genaro[/quote']

jesu "one is@ a sailing........."

didn't know you were a knob!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This gig sounds tremendous. Really looking forward to hearing Delicate Awol again. It's been too long.

now this gig has the royal seal of approval

can't credit or push it futher,

Unlike Del Franklin's Grandnational bets this is a BANKER

(your money won't be wasted)

Guest stuartmaxwell

gah im not long back from a lonnnnnng weekend of sailing

bloody high winds mean i ache all over and cant be fucked driving to abdn to drive back down :(

shame.

Guest Zeenat Aman

Delicate AWOL(soon to change their name) were so good, beautiful, weaving, subtle and with good positive vibes! :love:

Caroline Ross deserves much praise for what she did tonight, to sing so well and play such tricky basslines was very, very impressive.

I should leave bands more often!

:D

Guest neil ex

They were v good, but Thee More Shallows were my favourite of the night.. I miss out on free things because I'm far too shy.. I'm sure I can add an email address online somewhere..